absciarretta
absciarretta  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:10
Member (2008)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Nov 27, 2013

Is it just me not being able to find any or are there NO CAT-tools for Android?
If not, when are the companies going to get on the ball? You can get bluetooth keyboards for most tablets these days, it would make sense to have apps to translate on tablets as well.

If you are a programmer in your 'spare' time (yeah, doesn't really exist much for translators, I know), you can right now get a jump on the big boys and make a TM-capable CAT-tool app that does not require non-stop i
... See more
Is it just me not being able to find any or are there NO CAT-tools for Android?
If not, when are the companies going to get on the ball? You can get bluetooth keyboards for most tablets these days, it would make sense to have apps to translate on tablets as well.

If you are a programmer in your 'spare' time (yeah, doesn't really exist much for translators, I know), you can right now get a jump on the big boys and make a TM-capable CAT-tool app that does not require non-stop internet access. If you succeed, man, you will be set for life!

I have done a lot of beta-testing, so I can test for you if you are already working on it.
Collapse

Matt Silva

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
It would be cool! Nov 27, 2013

The only thing that I've found have been word processors that let you write or edit word and excel documents.

absciarretta
United States
Member (2008)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I found 1 terminology app Nov 27, 2013

But only one! As far as I can see, Wordfast Anywhere is it. And that is internet based. I am looking at tablets right now, but I was hoping I could use it for work as well as fun...

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
another terminology app: Interplex Nov 27, 2013

I just heard about a rather interesting glossary app called 'Interplex', which was mentioned in a recent video on the TermCoord website, which I mentioned here: http://www.proz.com/forum/interpreting/260407-interesting_article_about_using_tablets_in_the_interpreters_booth.html

Interplex was originally for Win
... See more
I just heard about a rather interesting glossary app called 'Interplex', which was mentioned in a recent video on the TermCoord website, which I mentioned here: http://www.proz.com/forum/interpreting/260407-interesting_article_about_using_tablets_in_the_interpreters_booth.html

Interplex was originally for Windows, but now has an iPad and iPhone app.

Michael

http://www.fourwillows.com/interplex.html
Collapse

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:10
What would be the advantage of CAT on Android? Nov 27, 2013

I'm not sure what the advantage would be of running a CAT tool on Android.

Anyway, it should be possible to run any Java-based CAT tool on Android:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19286451/how-to-run-java-app-in-android

absciarretta
United States
Member (2008)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is where things are going... Nov 27, 2013

Michael, that app is only for iOS, not Android.

2nl, the benefit would be portability. Sure, you can lug a laptop around, but it's easier to use a tablet. A tablet is also where computers are moving to, like it or not. If the big players on the CAT-tool market aren't paying attention, they will end up with a surprise.

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Same hardware with Android and ... Nov 27, 2013

absciarretta wrote:

2nl, the benefit would be portability. Sure, you can lug a laptop around, but it's easier to use a tablet.

I ordered a typical Android tablet (500 g) with keyboard (500 g) and ... full Windows 8.1 yesterday.

With Android:

http://www.asus.com/nl/Tablets_Mobile/ASUS_Transformer_Pad_TF700T/

With full Windows 8.1:

http://www.asus.com/nl/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_Transformer_Book_T100/

So the portability argument is not valid per se.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:10
Finnish to French
CAT tools = niche market Nov 27, 2013

absciarretta wrote:
If you are a programmer in your 'spare' time (yeah, doesn't really exist much for translators, I know), you can right now get a jump on the big boys and make a TM-capable CAT-tool app that does not require non-stop internet access. If you succeed, man, you will be set for life!

What is the average price of a mobile app (iOS, Android)? About 5 dollars at most. You would need to sell tens of thousands of copies in order to recoup your investment. Let's face it, the potential market for CAT tools running on mobile devices is not big enough.

Mobile devices aren't extremely useful if they are not connected, and if they are connected, you can use Wordfast Anywhere and the price is pretty hard to beat.

absciarretta
United States
Member (2008)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are wrong.... Nov 27, 2013

Although there are many free apps, there are also apps that cost $100 or more for the full version. And niche? Not so much anymore. Tablets are becoming mainstream. There are keyboards available for nearly all of them, either as add-ons from the same company or when you buy an aftermarket cover. Being able to sit in a moving car or train or bus, without having to pay through the nose for internet access, and still be able to work is gold.

I have worked with a laptop on my lap in th
... See more
Although there are many free apps, there are also apps that cost $100 or more for the full version. And niche? Not so much anymore. Tablets are becoming mainstream. There are keyboards available for nearly all of them, either as add-ons from the same company or when you buy an aftermarket cover. Being able to sit in a moving car or train or bus, without having to pay through the nose for internet access, and still be able to work is gold.

I have worked with a laptop on my lap in this situation, but it is a lot bulkier and cunbersome. Also, this is where the development is headed. Getting ahead of the game is smart.

Dominique Pivard wrote:

absciarretta wrote:

What is the average price of a mobile app (iOS, Android)? About 5 dollars at most. You would need to sell tens of thousands of copies in order to recoup your investment. Let's face it, the potential market for CAT tools running on mobile devices is not big enough.

Mobile devices aren't extremely useful if they are not connected, and if they are connected, you can use Wordfast Anywhere and the price is pretty hard to beat.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Anne Birgitte: Nov 27, 2013

Translating in a moving car, train or bus is actually my idea of hell;)

Michael

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
I wouldn't invest my money in such a venture! Nov 27, 2013

absciarretta wrote:
Although there are many free apps, there are also apps that cost $100 or more for the full version.

You clearly know the tablet app market better than I do. I've been an active tablet user (iPad) for 1.5 years and I haven't purchased a single app that cost more than 15 dollars. I doubt there are many translators who would pay 100 dollars or more for a tablet-based CAT tool. I certainly wouldn't.
absciarretta wrote:
And niche? Not so much anymore. Tablets are becoming mainstream. There are keyboards available for nearly all of them, either as add-ons from the same company or when you buy an aftermarket cover. Being able to sit in a moving car or train or bus, without having to pay through the nose for internet access, and still be able to work is gold.

Sure, I agree about tablets having become mainstream, but tablet-using translators who'd be interested in a tablet-based CAT tool are still a niche market. I know quite a few translators, many of them are using tablets, but I'm pretty sure I'd have a hard time finding 10 of them who'd be interested in running a CAT tool on their tablets.
absciarretta wrote:
I have worked with a laptop on my lap in this situation, but it is a lot bulkier and cunbersome.

I fail to see the difference between using an slim laptop and a tablet+keyboard combo on your lap. I'd certainly be more productive with an 11" MacBook Air on my lap than with a tablet+keyboard.
absciarretta wrote:
Also, this is where the development is headed. Getting ahead of the game is smart.

If I had risk capital to invest, I wouldn't put it in a mobile CAT tool venture, but please feel free to do so if you're convinced it's where we're heading!

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
I would use it Nov 27, 2013

Honestly, I would buy it. Especially if it could integrate voice recognition through the microphone. I don't know if I would use it on large projects, but for smaller ones while I'm traveling or visiting with a client, I think it would be amazing.

[Edited at 2013-11-28 03:33 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Seconded Nov 27, 2013

Michael Beijer wrote:
Translating in a moving car, train or bus is actually my idea of hell;)

Every now and then I feel like making sure there is a world outside of my screen...

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 13:10
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Connected we are Nov 27, 2013

Dominique Pivard wrote:

True. But if you're connected anyway, you may as well connect to your computer at the office (home in my case), and use the CAT tool you are used to, leveraging its processor speed and the RAM.

It's sheer horror to use, but it can come in handy if you have a brilliant idea when you're not in front of your computer.

Cheers,

Hans

Egidijus Slepetys
Egidijus Slepetys  Identity Verified
German to Lithuanian
Media consumption vs Work Nov 28, 2013

Attaching a keyboard to a tablet makes it to a weird laptop .

An optimal portability without compromising performance can be reached using newest ultra-books.

Carrying around a bulky 15" laptop is just wrong nowadays .

Peace!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seriously? No CAT-tool for Android?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »