Bernadette Mora
Bernadette Mora  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 26, 2004

Hi everybody!

Such a question has been posted 5 times here, however, I didn't find an appropriate answer to this question.
I will ahve a big .pdf file and I know that using Acrobat Writer or Wordfast, you can convert it easily into Word. The problem is that this file is highly technical and it contains a lot of Tables, layouts, etc. and using any of these options can lead to a total dislocation of the original .pdf file.
Any other programme that you'd recommend me?
... See more
Hi everybody!

Such a question has been posted 5 times here, however, I didn't find an appropriate answer to this question.
I will ahve a big .pdf file and I know that using Acrobat Writer or Wordfast, you can convert it easily into Word. The problem is that this file is highly technical and it contains a lot of Tables, layouts, etc. and using any of these options can lead to a total dislocation of the original .pdf file.
Any other programme that you'd recommend me?
Your comments will be highly appreciated.
Regards,
Bernadette
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Get the source file Oct 26, 2004

Hi Bernadette,
The reason why you couldn't find the perfect answer (and there are many more threads on this topic) is that there isn't one.

PDF is a format that is designed not to be edited. The only way to retain the formatting of the original file is to get that file. Remember that PDFs are never created on their own, but always from a source file.

Best regards, Ralf

Bernadette Mora
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Converting a pdf file into word so that it can be translated using Trados Oct 26, 2004

Hi!

Thanks a lot, Ralf. But what happens if you can't get that file?
It deals with a very urgent translation and the original file can take ages to come to my hands!
Thanks.
Bernadette

Yuri Dubrov
Yuri Dubrov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 07:00
English to Russian
+ ...
There is an option, but you must see into detail Oct 26, 2004

Hi

There are 2 products from an esteemed Russian Company ABBYY.
They can help you to solve your problems. Pls find more info on their website.

1. PDF Transformer (transforms PDF into Word etc.)
2. FineReader (scan and reads also PDF-files)

best regards

Yuri

Doru Voin
Doru Voin  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 07:00
English to Romanian
+ ...
ScanSoft PDF Converter Oct 26, 2004

Plug-in for MS Word. Workes fine for me on several manuals about 100 pages long, including about 30 tables and 200 diagrams/figures. The product works fine with OmniPage Pro.
Autres ideas: ReadIris, an OCR program (www.irislink.com) or Abby Fine Reader (another OCR program).

Bruno Magne
Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:00
English to French
+ ...
SolidConverterPDF Oct 26, 2004

It works wonderfully and you'lle very few changes to carry on manually on your document.

You can download it at:

www.solidpdf.com

At around 50 dollars, it's a bargain.

Best of lucks

Bruno Magne

Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Be careful... Oct 26, 2004

If you convert pdf with a good software you will be able to work with Trados, ok, but maybe you customer needs a 'blank' Word document with indications such as 'left column' 'image on the right' etc. Pdf converters tend to reproduce the pdf with images etc. offering an editable image of the pdf document, great, but my customer refused one of these recently, after I had done 15 000 words... Of course I had asked the PM before and he had agreed, etc. but someone in the Editing part of the agency f... See more
If you convert pdf with a good software you will be able to work with Trados, ok, but maybe you customer needs a 'blank' Word document with indications such as 'left column' 'image on the right' etc. Pdf converters tend to reproduce the pdf with images etc. offering an editable image of the pdf document, great, but my customer refused one of these recently, after I had done 15 000 words... Of course I had asked the PM before and he had agreed, etc. but someone in the Editing part of the agency found it too difficult to use:-(Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Make sure to charge for the extra work Oct 26, 2004

Hi again,

But what happens if you can't get that file?

Make sure to charge extra - very often, the file turns up, just like a miracle...

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Finereader, and mark recongintion areas manually Oct 27, 2004

Bernadette Mora wrote:

Hi everybody!

(...) Regards,
Bernadette

Hi Bernadette,
I always do what I wrote in the subject line. This may mean a lot of work, but gives me (and later on, the reviewer(s)) better control of text, which is not "boxed" into text boxes, which automatic recognition in OCR software likes to create (and which are a nightmare for CAT tools).

Regards,

Piotr

Bernadette Mora
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Converting a pdf file into word Oct 28, 2004

Hi everybody!

Thanks a lot for your advice.

Regards,

Bernadette

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

Bernadette Mora wrote:

Hi everybody!

(...) Regards,
Bernadette

Hi Bernadette,
I always do what I wrote in the subject line. This may mean a lot of work, but gives me (and later on, the reviewer(s)) better control of text, which is not "boxed" into text boxes, which automatic recognition in OCR software likes to create (and which are a nightmare for CAT tools).

Regards,

Piotr

pdfguy
pdfguy
English
convert a pdf file to word Dec 21, 2004

there are a few pdf to word converters out there. I have purchased Able2Extract. IT converts pdf to word and also pdf to excel. not a bad little program. there is a free demo at:

www.investintech.com

Bernadette Mora wrote:

Hi everybody!

Thanks a lot for your advice.

Regards,

Bernadette

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

Bernadette Mora wrote:

Hi everybody!

(...) Regards,
Bernadette

Hi Bernadette,

Regards,

Piotr

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
There are converters out there, but look at the output Dec 27, 2004

pdfguy wrote:

there are a few pdf to word converters out there. I have purchased Able2Extract. IT converts pdf to word and also pdf to excel. not a bad little program. there is a free demo at:

www.investintech.com

There is a bunch of programs that can convert PDFs into doc, but what is the format/layout of the output? It is important from the point of view of a translator using CAT software. From the translator's point of view the following are undesirable:

* text boxes

* illogical text flow

* paragraph breaks in the middle of sentences.

Taking these criteria into account, I find Finereader quite satisfactory, provided that I am in control, i.e. I mark the text recongition areas and their order, because the software in automatic mode can get it wrong. Various text exporting options let you control to what extent the output will imitate the layout of the original.

The company that makes FineReader (OCR software) also offers a program that deals only with PDF conversion, but I don't remember its name.

HTH

Piotr

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting a pdf file into word so that it can be translated using Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »