Entering several columns in TM or glossary that can be used for concordance search
Thread poster: Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Local time: 12:40
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Nov 13, 2013

Dear colleagues,

I have a client who sends regular feedback for the translations I deliver on a spreadsheet. In this feedback appear several columns, for the specific product I was working on, the source text, my translation, the reviewer's version, date and error category, among other informations. I started accumulating these informations in a huge spreadsheet for occasional lookup, but searching inside Excel is a cumbersome job.

I would like to streamline the lookup
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I have a client who sends regular feedback for the translations I deliver on a spreadsheet. In this feedback appear several columns, for the specific product I was working on, the source text, my translation, the reviewer's version, date and error category, among other informations. I started accumulating these informations in a huge spreadsheet for occasional lookup, but searching inside Excel is a cumbersome job.

I would like to streamline the lookup process and find a tool that allows me to enter the information and conduct searches in more than two columns. As far as I know, most TM viewers and TMs in general work only with two languages, e.g. two columns, while most glossaries can display added information but don't allow me to conduct a concordance search for single terms. Or am I mistaken? What kind of tool could I use to look up for any term inside of my data?

Many thanks for your ideas.

Best regards,
Anna
Collapse

nrichy (X)
nrichy (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Maybe you need a desktop search program Nov 13, 2013

Such as Copernic Desktop Search. It searches on your whole computer. The home version will do. I use it for years.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Multilingual TB Nov 13, 2013

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro wrote:

Dear colleagues,

I would like to streamline the lookup process and find a tool that allows me to enter the information and conduct searches in more than two columns. As far as I know, most TM viewers and TMs in general work only with two languages, e.g. two columns, while most glossaries can display added information but don't allow me to conduct a concordance search for single terms. Or am I mistaken? What kind of tool could I use to look up for any term inside of my data?

Many thanks for your ideas.

Best regards,
Anna

You don't mention what tool you use. If it's trados, you could possibly just create a multilingual MultiTerm TB. Label the extra column as Lithuanian or whatever you feel like and then you can search it in the desktop Multiterm program. But not in Trados itself... I think you'll find that none of the options you can come up with is much better than Excel.

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Multiterm worth a try Nov 14, 2013

FarkasAndras wrote:

You don't mention what tool you use. If it's trados, you could possibly just create a multilingual MultiTerm TB. Label the extra column as Lithuanian or whatever you feel like and then you can search it in the desktop Multiterm program. But not in Trados itself... I think you'll find that none of the options you can come up with is much better than Excel.

I have SDL Trados, I might try. But is it possible to conduct searches for single words or parts of phrases inside of larger entries in a TB? Working with Multiterm is fine. I don't need to search within Trados itself, as in this case I am working in an online system anyway.

Best regards,
Anna

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Sure Nov 14, 2013

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:

I have SDL Trados, I might try. But is it possible to conduct searches for single words or parts of phrases inside of larger entries in a TB? Working with Multiterm is fine. I don't need to search within Trados itself, as in this case I am working in an online system anyway.

Best regards,
Anna

MultiTerm has fuzzy search. You get hits if your search string matches or nearly matches any part of a term in the termbase.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Entering several columns in TM or glossary that can be used for concordance search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »