Japan
Local time: 12:27
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 1, 2013

Hello everyone,

I have about 80 .php files, both original and translated versions,
and a client is asking me to create a TM with those,
but until now I could not find a quick way to complete this task.

Do you have any suggestion that might make this process faster than copy/paste?

Thanks in advance,

Best

Michael Davies
Michael Davies  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 05:27
Member (2009)
Danish to English
+ ...
.php files are text files including computer instructions and texts Nov 1, 2013

.php files are text files, where (some of) the text is parsed as computer isntructions by a .php compiler when these are executed by a computer. The computer instructions are independent of language and will, thus, be identical in both source and target languages.

The only differences between a source language file and the corresponding target language file will, thus, be the texts, which are generated at run time (for example when a web page including .php code is read by a browser
... See more
.php files are text files, where (some of) the text is parsed as computer isntructions by a .php compiler when these are executed by a computer. The computer instructions are independent of language and will, thus, be identical in both source and target languages.

The only differences between a source language file and the corresponding target language file will, thus, be the texts, which are generated at run time (for example when a web page including .php code is read by a browser).

This means that a TM, which is created by aligning the source and target language files will include both the computer instructions and the texts. However, since the computer instructions are not to be translated, this does not really matter. In fact, it will, as far as I can see, be an advantage because it means that the computer instructions will be correctly copied from a given source language file to the corresponding target language file.

Thus, any CAT tool, which can be used to align source language and target language files and generate a TM should be useable to generate the TM's, which you need. This includes, for example, Trados Studio Freelancer 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014 and Wordfast Anywhere, amongst others.

I hope that this answers your question and provides you with the information you need to proceed.

Good luck!

Michael J H Davies
MJD Translating, Denmark

(Translater and computer programmer)
Collapse

Heartsome Support
Heartsome Support
Local time: 11:27
Extract the text and make alignment Nov 4, 2013

First you have to find a right tools to extract text from your PHP files. You may see this post. http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/107563-php_file_translation:_which_cat_to_use.html

When you import the source or target files to a CAT, you may export the content to a word file if the tool support this functi
... See more
First you have to find a right tools to extract text from your PHP files. You may see this post. http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/107563-php_file_translation:_which_cat_to_use.html

When you import the source or target files to a CAT, you may export the content to a word file if the tool support this function.

Then you can align the exported monolingual doc file with alignment tools, such as abbyy aligner.
Collapse

Francesco Galardi
Francesco Galardi
Japan
Local time: 12:27
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Issue solved! Nov 5, 2013

Thanks for both your replies.

Actually, I tried Heartsome Support's solution before creating this post,
and it seems the align doesn't work out really well with the exported Word files from Trados.

But WinAlign worked like a charm!
Obviously I had to spend several hours fixing the alignment,
but it was for a 80.000+ words files pair, so I guess it's not a bad result.
The alignment that came out in the first place was pretty good, actually.
... See more
Thanks for both your replies.

Actually, I tried Heartsome Support's solution before creating this post,
and it seems the align doesn't work out really well with the exported Word files from Trados.

But WinAlign worked like a charm!
Obviously I had to spend several hours fixing the alignment,
but it was for a 80.000+ words files pair, so I guess it's not a bad result.
The alignment that came out in the first place was pretty good, actually.

Thanks a lot to Michael J.H. Davies for the suggestion and the detailed explanation.

Best regards
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating a TM from .php files

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »