Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 09:14
English to Czech
+ ...
Don't blame Trados Oct 23, 2004

lien wrote:

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
The more on posts in Trados (CAT) section shows, that more and more people are starting to use this tools.

I would say it just shows how this tool sucks. You never have half of that number of questions with others CAT tools.

Just seeing how many problems get the trados users definitely confirm my decision never to use it.

Jerzy, Marc and Jeff are right. Many support requests come from new users who just don't understand the basics of Trados. "How to display/hide source text" is a typical example. Don't blame Trados for everything.

But I like Magda's idea to show Trados support forum only to Trados users.

Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Don't blame Trados Oct 25, 2004

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Many support requests come from new users who just don't understand the basics of Trados.

Part of the "problem" with Trados is the sheer number of features. When I bought Trados (version 1.0, in 1997), I was up and running after just two hours, meaning that I was using the software for an actual job. I didn't know all the functions, of course, but I knew the essentials and was able to pick up the rest as I went along.

Since then, it seems that so many features (which in themselves are valuable) have been added to Trados that users are bewildered by them.

Perhaps the problem lies in the documentation. If someone were to write a "Trados for Dummies" book, I'm sure it would sell like hot cakes.

Marc

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Customize topic display Oct 25, 2004

Mario Cerutti wrote:

Tadzio wrote:

First, I think Trados is the best CAT tool, universally accepted.
And, last, I've learned from other colleagues and Moderators how to solve things, without wasting time on the Trados Help, in the EASIEST way in plain words. I mean, the words any non-expert PC user can understand.
Please, keep it that way.
Tadzio.

or universally imposed?

Mario Cerutti

I agree with Mario. I use Trados because I have to (otherwise I would not get some jobs that I can get with Trados), and I use SDLX because I prefer to.

But, back to the point: I think that proz users should be able to customize the way topics are displayed on the proz home page, if they don't want to see so many Trados-related topics.

Regards,

Piotr

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:14
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Those big manuals! Oct 27, 2004

After all a CAT-program is a rather simple thing, a short description of the basic functions would do. But Trados manuals have hundreds of pages. Who would read that stuff after he/she has paid 800 Euro.
There could be sample files of the most important formats, whose translation would be explained from stretch. That would help I think.
Regards
Heinrich

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT support

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search