which is the most sought-after CAT tool for Indian languages?
Thread poster: Gopinath Jambulingam
Gopinath Jambulingam
Gopinath Jambulingam  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 13:37
Member (2013)
Tamil to English
+ ...
Oct 14, 2013

I am planning to buy a CAT Tool and have shortlisted SDL Trados 2011 and Wordfast Classic + Pro.

In this regard, i would have few queries as follows:

1. Which is the most sought-after CAT tool for Indian languages in the perspective of Outsourcer as well as Service Provider?

2. In India, there are 12+ Languages are frequently translated. As such, I want to know, as to how many languages that each of the CAT Tool is able to handle (assuming that i employ
... See more
I am planning to buy a CAT Tool and have shortlisted SDL Trados 2011 and Wordfast Classic + Pro.

In this regard, i would have few queries as follows:

1. Which is the most sought-after CAT tool for Indian languages in the perspective of Outsourcer as well as Service Provider?

2. In India, there are 12+ Languages are frequently translated. As such, I want to know, as to how many languages that each of the CAT Tool is able to handle (assuming that i employ inhouse native translator).

3. Am i allowed to install the CAT tool on my Desktop as well as Laptop for the same price?

Regards
Gopinath J
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 15:07
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Tokenizers Oct 14, 2013

I don't know anything about Dravidian languages, but I think Hindi and the like can benefit considerably from the tokenizer feature of OmegaT. Our CATGuru recorded a screencast on the subject: http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2013/05/14/terminology-recognition-and-auto-completer-in-omegat-3-0/
Besides, OmegaT won't cost you a si
... See more
I don't know anything about Dravidian languages, but I think Hindi and the like can benefit considerably from the tokenizer feature of OmegaT. Our CATGuru recorded a screencast on the subject: http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2013/05/14/terminology-recognition-and-auto-completer-in-omegat-3-0/
Besides, OmegaT won't cost you a single rupee. http://www.omegat.org

Cheers,

Hans (not an OmegaT user)
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:07
Finnish to French
Some answers to your questions Oct 14, 2013

Gopinath Jambulingam wrote:

Now that SDL Trados Studio 2014 has been launched, I don't think you can purchase the 2011 version any longer

I wouldn't know about that. The translators you'd outsource to may be interested in Wordfast Anywhere, which is free and will let them handle any file format supported by Wordfast Pro.

2. In India, there are 12+ Languages are frequently translated. As such, I want to know, as to how many languages that each of the CAT Tool is able to handle (assuming that i employ inhouse native translator).

The Freelance version of SDL Trados Studio limits you to five (5) languages. The Professional version (which is several times more expensive) has no such restriction. Wordfast doesn't limit the number of languages you can use.

3. Am i allowed to install the CAT tool on my Desktop as well as Laptop for the same price?

SDL has a Freelance Plus edition of their SDL Trados Studio package, which is only marginally more expensive than the basic Freelance package. It allows you to run Studio on two different computers. Not sure about the situation with the Professional edition.
The Wordfast license agreement allows you to run the software on two computers used by yourself, if you're a freelancer. See the section labelled Multiple installations.

gem-translators
gem-translators
India
Local time: 13:37
Useful information - Thank you Dominique Oct 14, 2013

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Now that SDL Trados Studio 2014 has been launched, I don't think you can purchase the 2011 version any longer

I wouldn't know about that. The translators you'd outsource to may be interested in Wordfast Anywhere, which is free and will let them handle any file format supported by Wordfast Pro.

The Freelance version of SDL Trados Studio limits you to five (5) languages. The Professional version (which is several times more expensive) has no such restriction. Wordfast doesn't limit the number of languages you can use.

SDL has a Freelance Plus edition of their SDL Trados Studio package, which is only marginally more expensive than the basic Freelance package. It allows you to run Studio on two different computers. Not sure about the situation with the Professional edition.
The Wordfast license agreement allows you to run the software on two computers used by yourself, if you're a freelancer. See the section labelled Multiple installations.

Useful information - Thank you Dominique. If SDL 2011 is not available, i would not consider the 2014 version, for its extraordinary price. And, also, let me try Wordstar Anywhere.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:07
Finnish to French
Price of Studio 2014 vs. 2011 Oct 14, 2013

gem-translators wrote:
If SDL 2011 is not available, i would not consider the 2014 version, for its extraordinary price.

Actually, I don't think SDL made any change to the price of Studio 2014 compared to Studio 2011. The list price is the same and then there are special promotions every now and then, through which you can usually get a 30-40% discount. You may want to have a look at the video I made one year ago on the total cost of ownership of mainstream CAT tools over a 6-year period. I believe it's still mostly valid today.

gem-translators wrote:
And, also, let me try Wordstar Anywhere.

Wordfast (note the spelling) Anywhere is extremely popular in big Asian countries like India and China. Many a translator there has noticed its unbeatable price

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

which is the most sought-after CAT tool for Indian languages?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »