Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 13:04
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 11, 2013

I'm migrating to mQ, but I have several on-going projects still in SDLX.
Is there any way to convert ITD files to some XML?

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
ttx Oct 11, 2013

Hi Sergei,

You can convert itd as ttx and then translate with memoQ or other CAT tools.

Selcuk

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:04
French to Polish
+ ...
TTX vs SDLXLIFF Oct 13, 2013

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Yep, usually it works well but it may cause problems for some complex workflows related to some CMS systems (the TTX conversion performed by SDLX may screw up something in these files).

In this case, use rather Trados Studio as converter, then the SDLXLIFF-whatever-SDLXLIFF hopping is easy, memoQ will handle it.

Cheers
GG

Sergei Leshchinsky
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Any hints how to do it without SDL? ;) Oct 13, 2013

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

I know. But I don't want to have (buy) the hole SDL package just to convert files.
Is there are free or cheap converter?

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
Yep, usually it works well but it may cause problems for some complex workflows related to some CMS systems (the TTX conversion performed by SDLX may screw up something in these files).
In this case, use rather Trados Studio as converter, then the SDLXLIFF-whatever-SDLXLIFF hopping is easy, memoQ will handle it.

Hm. Don't you think 700 Euro is a bit too pricy for a "just converter"?

The question above is also to you.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
SDL Edit Oct 13, 2013

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:
I'm migrating to mQ, but I have several on-going projects still in SDLX.
Is there any way to convert ITD files to some XML?

Well, you can export to TTX and then "harvest" from TTX again using the free SDL Edit, but it only works in 99% of cases. You can improve your chances of successful import by making the file names the same as they were when you performed the export, and by placing the files in the exact same path as well. This will give you a 99% chance of success. The other 1% is when SDL Edit for some unknown reason throws an error that no-one from SDL is able to solve, and then you're stuck with a translated TTX file that you can't convert back to ITD.

If your ITD files are formatless (i.e. there is no format painting to be done), then you can use the free SDL Edit to export the ITD file as an HTML table, and then translate that, and then paste the translation of each segment back into SDL Edit. If you're interested in that method, let me know, and I'll send you a little AutoIt program with which you can do the pasting quickly and accurately, using a single keyboard shortcut.

I used to use the TTX method for ITD files, but my current single ITD client sends unformatted ITD files, so it's safe and easier for me to use the HTML table method.

Samuel

Sergei Leshchinsky
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Oct 13, 2013

Thanks, Sam!
I also have the only client that sends ITDs.
As I'm migrating to MemoQ, I'll just install that free SDLX Edit and a minimum to handle these files. The bitter thing here is that the client sometimes send too many small ITDs. Strange enough there is no batch converter for ITDs.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
TTX vs SDLXLIFF, revisited... Oct 13, 2013

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Hm. Don't you think 700 Euro is a bit too pricy for a "just converter"?

The question above is also to you.

Frankly speaking, I never translated more than 200 words in one run using Trados/SDLX and I'm happy with it.
Really, I use Trados/SDLX/Studio just as converter
Nonetheless, in almost all CAT hopping scenarios, one should verify if the output file is accepted by the "basic" tool, so I still feed the beast...

As I'm migrating to MemoQ, I'll just install that free SDLX Edit and a minimum to handle these files. The bitter thing here is that the client sometimes send too many small ITDs. Strange enough there is no batch converter for ITDs.

The problem is the SDLX format is not public. i.e. officially nobody knows how it works.
So why the filters provided by SDL may be, in fact, a must.
Of course, you can try DVX, Atril created a direct filter for ITD, the problem is it's not really reliable, the export may fail in too many cases.

In fact, you have a tool like that but I'm not sure if it works in SDLX Lite (I have a full license).
SDLX provides a tool called SDLX Exchange (displayed in the last row of the SDLX Switchboard), you can use it as batch converter.
I used it a lot before the Studio launch.
Nonetheless, as I said, the ITD-TTX-ITD may fail in some cases, the ITD-SDLXLIFF-ITD workflow seems frankly better.
If SDLX Exchange works for you, spend these 700 Euro for Оболонь or whatever, it's a better choice

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2013-10-13 19:45 GMT]

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 05:04
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Itd file columns can be copied and pasted to Word (or Excel) and back Oct 15, 2013

This one maybe the oldest trick in my bag.

As adapted from:http://necco.ca/dv/sdlx_transit_wordfast.htm#Working_with_SDLX_files

Open the itd file in SDLX.

Select the whole right-hand column. The easiest way may be by clicking in front of the very first word, scrolling down to the end of the file, holding Shift and clicking with the left mouse button.

Ctrl+C

Open an empty Word file.
... See more
This one maybe the oldest trick in my bag.

As adapted from:http://necco.ca/dv/sdlx_transit_wordfast.htm#Working_with_SDLX_files

Open the itd file in SDLX.

Select the whole right-hand column. The easiest way may be by clicking in front of the very first word, scrolling down to the end of the file, holding Shift and clicking with the left mouse button.

Ctrl+C

Open an empty Word file.

Ctrl+V into the Word file. The whole text of the itd is in the Word file then. The segments are in individual paragraphs. Save the file.

Translate this Word file as usual in your favorite CAT tool and export.

Select the whole text in the translated Word file.

Select the whole right-hand column in the itd in SDLX again.

Insert the text (Ctrl+V).

Carry out format painting in SDLX.

Confirm all translations in SDLX.

I have to tell you that I have used Excel instead of Word and translated in DVX, but it must work the same for other tools.

Saludos
Collapse

Sergei Leshchinsky
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Copy-Paste Oct 15, 2013

I use it sometimes, and it is OK, but not when you have 400 small files.

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 05:04
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
If so, why don't you use the Merge subfunction inside Split for merging them into a few files? Oct 15, 2013

I use it sometimes, and it is OK, but not when you have 400 small files.

Please notice that the Split function in SDLX encompasses not only splitting files, but also merging files.

In the other hand, have you tried to convert itd to ttx using TagEditor? (TRADOS 2007 demo version will work OK for it as long as there is no TM involved) and then merging the ttxs using SDL Trados Glue?

I have the TRADOS 2007 demo version available should you need it.

Sorry for misleading you : it seems that SDL Trados Glue cannot "glue" ttx files. Of course ttx files can be converted to rtf using TTXpress, but it would be a long detour...

Saludos

[Edited at 2013-10-16 01:03 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Jorge Oct 16, 2013

Jorge Payan wrote:
Carry out format painting in SDLX.

Every single trick that I have when dealing with SDLX is aimed at one thing and one thing only: to avoid format painting.

Confirm all translations in SDLX.

Before you do that, make sure that your fuzzy match setting is not set to auto-propagate, otherwise the program might just overwrite existing good translations with fuzzy matches from elsewhere in the file, without you noticing it, and you end up "confirming" fuzzy matches as the translations.

[Edited at 2013-10-16 06:36 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for way to deal with SDLX files in other CAT-tools

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »