Thread poster: Olga Dyussengaliyeva
Olga Dyussengaliyeva
Olga Dyussengaliyeva  Identity Verified
Kazakhstan
Local time: 00:32
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 9, 2013

Going to get some CAT's: namely Trados, MemoQ and Deja Vu. I'm working on Mac and exactly for that reason (another reason is being cheap) I've been using online Wordfast Anywhere. Time to move on though. As far as I know CAT's are not compatible with Mac's right? I also have a PC, but I really don't like working with it and prefer to keep everything in one place. So I'm looking for recommendation: is it worth trying to set my Mac to run the CAT's? Or should I just use the PC? If Mac - what would... See more
Going to get some CAT's: namely Trados, MemoQ and Deja Vu. I'm working on Mac and exactly for that reason (another reason is being cheap) I've been using online Wordfast Anywhere. Time to move on though. As far as I know CAT's are not compatible with Mac's right? I also have a PC, but I really don't like working with it and prefer to keep everything in one place. So I'm looking for recommendation: is it worth trying to set my Mac to run the CAT's? Or should I just use the PC? If Mac - what would be the best virtual machine versions to run Windows apps and how much space do they require a hard drive? Many thanks for any advise!
P.S. I don't think the version number matters in this case, I haven't decided on one anyways.
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:32
English to Turkish
+ ...
CATs for Mac Oct 9, 2013

Hi Olga,

There are CAT tools running on Mac, e.g. CafeTran, Wordfast Pro, Swordfish. As for running Deja Vu X on a Mac see http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dejavu-l/conversations/topics/124647

Selcuk

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 02:32
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Nope Oct 9, 2013

Olga Dyussengaliyeva wrote:
As far as I know CAT's are not compatible with Mac's right?

Wrong. As Selçuk already mentioned, there are CAT tools that run under OS X. There are quite a few of them, actually. The better known ones include OmegaT (free, open source), WordFast, and CafeTran (€ 80). I use the latter, see http://cafetran4mac.blogspot.com
For more CAT tools: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2184204/CAT%20Tools%20DEC%202010.pdf

There's no reason to stick with Windows. At. All.

Cheers,

Hans

Jorge Nunes
Jorge Nunes  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:32
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
There are options, but if you ask me... go for windows! Oct 9, 2013

Hi Olga,

I've been using Macs since the early 90s. I used to be a big fan. I love their reliability and user-friendliness (well, I'm not that enthusiastic about their price). But when I started using CAT tools a few years ago, I faced the dilemma you are in.

Now, there are ways of using CAT tools on a Mac, by running windows "inside" OS. There may be more, but I'm only familiar with two of them:

1. Parallels - a software that allows you to run windows at th
... See more
Hi Olga,

I've been using Macs since the early 90s. I used to be a big fan. I love their reliability and user-friendliness (well, I'm not that enthusiastic about their price). But when I started using CAT tools a few years ago, I faced the dilemma you are in.

Now, there are ways of using CAT tools on a Mac, by running windows "inside" OS. There may be more, but I'm only familiar with two of them:

1. Parallels - a software that allows you to run windows at the same time as Mac OS in a separate window. It works quite well, but unless you have a really powerful computer, it'll get your Mac too slow (I eventually gave it up).

2. Boot Camp - a different and more effective approach: it splits your hard disk in two partitions and then you either boot on Mac OS or windows separately. It's like having two different computers inside the same hardware. This is what I'm presently using and it works very well.

Now, there are always a few problems remaining, namely the keyboard. Mac keyboards are different from PC's and so there are some really annoying issues when working on a CAT tool running on windows. Especially when you have to use F-keys or special keyboard combinations that should make your life easier.

Also, much to my surprise and dismal, since I'm using windows via Boot Camp, I found it actually is much faster and Wi-Fi friendlier than Mac OS. I commented with a friend who's computed scientist and he corroborated this impression.

All considered, I'm planning to get a "real" windows PC asap. And a killer one too, for half the price of a Mac.

I hope this helped! If you need more detailed info about Parallels, Boot Camp or anything else related to this issue, please feel free to contact me anytime.

All the best.
Collapse

Magdalena Balibrea Vich
Magdalena Balibrea Vich  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
VMWare Oct 9, 2013

Hi Olga,

For me, the best way to run Windows on a Mac is VMWare Fusion, which is a very affordable solution - under €60. You'll also need a Windows license.

http://store.vmware.com/store/vmwde/en_IE/home

It loads the Boot Camp partition Jorge was talking about, but you dont have to boot in either Windows or Mac, you can run both at the same time on t
... See more
Hi Olga,

For me, the best way to run Windows on a Mac is VMWare Fusion, which is a very affordable solution - under €60. You'll also need a Windows license.

http://store.vmware.com/store/vmwde/en_IE/home

It loads the Boot Camp partition Jorge was talking about, but you dont have to boot in either Windows or Mac, you can run both at the same time on the same screen via its Unity view.

@Jorge: You should try it.

[Edited at 2013-10-09 13:46 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
To Mac or not to Mac... Oct 9, 2013

Hi Olga,

Although CafeTran (my preferred CAT tool) runs perfectly on a Mac (it’s a Java program, so runs on Windows, Linux and Macs without the need for any virtual nonsense), I would personally suggest you get yourself a super powerful Windows desktop. You get a lot more for your money with a Windows computer. Just have a look what you would have to spend on a Mac if you wanted to match a Windows desktop with: water-cooling, 16 GB of RAM, a huge SSD, a 24 inch monitor, one of the
... See more
Hi Olga,

Although CafeTran (my preferred CAT tool) runs perfectly on a Mac (it’s a Java program, so runs on Windows, Linux and Macs without the need for any virtual nonsense), I would personally suggest you get yourself a super powerful Windows desktop. You get a lot more for your money with a Windows computer. Just have a look what you would have to spend on a Mac if you wanted to match a Windows desktop with: water-cooling, 16 GB of RAM, a huge SSD, a 24 inch monitor, one of the latest i7 CPUs, a great video card, etc.

However, if you are hell-bent on using a Mac, as many people seem to be (and can afford it;), CafeTran would again be my recommendation.

Michael

PS: I am running CafeTran on Windows 8 64-bit
PPS: If you have any more questions about CafeTran or running CAT tools on a Mac, feel free to swing by the CafeTran mailing list: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!forum/cafetranslators
Collapse

Stephanie Busch
Stephanie Busch  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:32
English to German
+ ...
Parallels on a Mac Oct 9, 2013

Hi Olga,

I switched from PC to Mac in 2009, and I don't regret it, as I have never experienced anything like it in terms of stableness and silentness.

My Mac (a 27" iMac) is not even very powerful, with a 3 GHz dual core, 1 TB of hard disk space and 4 GB of RAM, two of which I allocated to the virtual machine.

At first I tried Windows 7 on Boot Camp, but was soon getting fond of several Mac programs and did not like to shut down the computer each time I wan
... See more
Hi Olga,

I switched from PC to Mac in 2009, and I don't regret it, as I have never experienced anything like it in terms of stableness and silentness.

My Mac (a 27" iMac) is not even very powerful, with a 3 GHz dual core, 1 TB of hard disk space and 4 GB of RAM, two of which I allocated to the virtual machine.

At first I tried Windows 7 on Boot Camp, but was soon getting fond of several Mac programs and did not like to shut down the computer each time I wanted to use one of them.

Now I run Windows and Mac software side by side using Parallels 5. I have avoided installing any Windows software I don't really need, and in nearly four years of constant use I have experienced less than one Mac OS crash a year. (Windows programs do crash sometimes, but I don't think we need to blame Mac OS or Parallels for this.)

My setup comprises Windows 7 Professional 32-bit and the following Windows software:

MS Office Professional 2007, Trados 2007, 2009, 2011 and 2014, and MemoQ 5.0, 6.0 and 2013. None of these CATs run natively on Mac.

All Windows programs are working fine, though Trados 2009 and 2011 tend to be rather unwieldy, particularly when working with large files, which admittedly I don't have to do often. Trados 2014 is much faster and lighter - only today I completed a project with 57 translation files that I had kept open simultaneously in QuickMerge view.

Judging by my experience I think it should not be a big problem to run Windows in a virtual machine on a slightly older Mac, especially if you choose your software wisely.

In case you opt for this setup, I'd advise you to make use of Windows's system restore utility and Parallels's snapshot feature so you can easily go back to the previous configuration when you find you don't like or need a Windows program you've tried out. This way you can largely avoid cluttering up your machine. Make sure though to create a new restore point or snapshot before installing anything you're unsure about.

Good luck, whichever solution you choose.

Stephanie
Collapse

victor_lo (X)
victor_lo (X)
Local time: 03:32
Heartsome Oct 10, 2013

I've been using Heartsome for years, so far so good. It's a Java based cross-platform full-featured CAT.

http://www.heartsome.net/EN/home.html

Heartsome Support
Heartsome Support
Local time: 03:32
Run Mac is ok Oct 10, 2013

Today’s CAT based on Mac is quite a few. Some of them is compatible with native file formats from windows–based cat, so you can run a Mac-based CAT mainly.

But in some cases, To translate these files from windows-based CAT, you have to prepare files in these windows-based CAT, so you can also run windows–based cat on VM, such as VMWare Fusion.
You can see a blogger's post
... See more
Today’s CAT based on Mac is quite a few. Some of them is compatible with native file formats from windows–based cat, so you can run a Mac-based CAT mainly.

But in some cases, To translate these files from windows-based CAT, you have to prepare files in these windows-based CAT, so you can also run windows–based cat on VM, such as VMWare Fusion.
You can see a blogger's post on CROSS-PLATFORM CAT TOOLS http://myenglishcamp.wordpress.com/2013/10/01/cross-platform-cat-tools/
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
A small but important point Oct 10, 2013

May I gently point out that unless it's a possessive, there is no apostrophe in "CATs"?

[Edited at 2013-10-10 07:37 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Running CAT tools on Mac

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »