How to analyze/count/estimate source with fragment assembly?!
Thread poster: Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 11:27
English to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 7, 2013

Hi all,

This is a late follow up to my thread about auto-propagate and fragment assembly:
http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/218404-which_cat_has_most_versatile_auto_propagate.html

So I received a new source file, catalogue content, 120 000 words.
Typical content:
<
... See more
Hi all,

This is a late follow up to my thread about auto-propagate and fragment assembly:
http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/218404-which_cat_has_most_versatile_auto_propagate.html

So I received a new source file, catalogue content, 120 000 words.
Typical content:

Parasoll med tilt. Finns i färgerna: blå, grön, turkos och gul. Mått: ø180 cm
Parasoll med vev och tilt. Finns i färgerna: svart, blå, röd och vit. Mått: ø180 cm
Parasoll med vev och tilt. Finns i färgerna: svart, taupe, grå och vit. Mått: ø230 cm
Hängparasoll med vev. Finns i färgerna: svart, taupe och grå. Mått: ø300 cm
Parasoll med tilt. Finns i färgerna: blå och gul. Mått: 200x125 cm

I have a pretty good idea how to add terms to TB, defining auto-translate rules and use Fragment Assembly to maximize speed. This can be done both in MemoQ and Studio (Déjà Vu too, I've heard).

But before I start, the challenge is to estimate the workload and set the correct price. Obviously, a plain word count analysis doesn't reflect the complexity/simplicity here.

In Studio, I could activate setting "Report internal fuzzy match analysis". In memoQ, I guess the equivalent setting is "Homogeneity".

Running analysis with these settings activated - would that give a fair representation of the workload?!

I don't want the thread to be derailed by "agencies are robbing freelancers of their pennies" arguments. For agencies with inhouse translators, or translators working directly with end clients, it's a legitimate question.

Thanks a lot for your input!
Collapse

benk (X)
benk (X)
Gambia
Local time: 09:27
Abkhazian to Chamorro
Homogeneity Oct 7, 2013

CafeTran gives a homogeneity of 59 % for these lines.

Repeated segments value is 15 %.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:27
English to French
As fair as the discount for fuzzies Oct 7, 2013

Jan Sundström wrote:
In Studio, I could activate setting "Report internal fuzzy match analysis". In memoQ, I guess the equivalent setting is "Homogeneity".

Running analysis with these settings activated - would that give a fair representation of the workload?!

Initial assumption (to be verified in another lab):
A total weighted wordcount requires as much time to translate as a text with the same unweighted wordcount and without repeated or similar sentences.

Adding internal matches to the wordcount soup, I reply yes to your question, assuming that the match rate between a TM fuzzy and an internal fuzzy (a fuzzy in a temporary TM) is calculated the same way.
In other words, if you consistently save 30% of your time translating fuzzy matches, then you will also save 30% of your time translating internal matches.

For catalogues, the difference between option enabled and disabled can be HUGE. This is where this option is handy: forecasting purposes. Without derailing the thread, may I state that internal matches were categorised as "no match" segments before these options existed (except for SDLX).

Philippe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to analyze/count/estimate source with fragment assembly?!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »