Thread poster: Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 05:21
English to Arabic
Sep 2, 2013

Dear Colleagues,

Currently, I am trying to study both issues and preferable features in 5 modules common in Translation Environment Tools (aka CAT Tools) one of which is the "Translation Memory", namely how translators leverage and manage their translation memories in a CAT tool. The purpose of this study is to provide CAT vendors with a guidance to refer to in their development.

We have previously discussed the "Translation Editor", thanks to all the colleagues who con
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

Currently, I am trying to study both issues and preferable features in 5 modules common in Translation Environment Tools (aka CAT Tools) one of which is the "Translation Memory", namely how translators leverage and manage their translation memories in a CAT tool. The purpose of this study is to provide CAT vendors with a guidance to refer to in their development.

We have previously discussed the "Translation Editor", thanks to all the colleagues who contributed:
http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/253775-translation_editor:_preferable_features.html

For me among the very useful features of "Translation Memory" leverage is: being able to receive sub-segment suggestions from the TM, at least on a monolingual level which would act as an automatic concordance feature for word sequences.

On the other hand, I believe the worst TM leverage issues are usually related to not receiving matches at all when translators think they should. Cases like this can be seen in almost any tool; they are normal as long as they are not frequent. Still, reviewing the match algorithm of a tool regularly based on customers' feedback as well as intentional tests should help.

I hope you kindly share your preferred and/or missed features of "Translation Memory Management and Leverage" in your CAT tool. I highly appreciate your inputs. Many thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Yasmin
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Memory: Preferable Features

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »