Is there any CAT tool that helps to manage the translation well?
Thread poster: LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:11
Russian to English
+ ...
Jun 25, 2013

Hi. I am just interested if there is any CAT tool that helps to manage the text and your translation -- so you don't get lost, but is not too heavy -- does not clutter the computer or slow it down -- a program that would just slightly help to organize the text, to see the original text fragments on the left -- in a convenient size window which would not interfere with the window in which you are typing the translation. No MT features are necessary. Some TM would be nice to store some boilerplat... See more
Hi. I am just interested if there is any CAT tool that helps to manage the text and your translation -- so you don't get lost, but is not too heavy -- does not clutter the computer or slow it down -- a program that would just slightly help to organize the text, to see the original text fragments on the left -- in a convenient size window which would not interfere with the window in which you are typing the translation. No MT features are necessary. Some TM would be nice to store some boilerplates. A good spell checking too, and word processor that does not make the typing hard through wrong suggestions, or over-suggesting. Can anyone recommend something like that, if it exists.Collapse

Heartsome Support
Heartsome Support
Local time: 10:11
If 1 gets your meaning, there are quite a few CAT tools Jun 26, 2013

If 1 gets your meaning, there are quite a few CAT tools, including Heartsome, support exporting /importing bilingual word files. So you can view your original text on the left and your translation on the right.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:11
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Lilian: Jun 26, 2013

I don't quite understand what you are looking for exactly but it would seem that pretty much every single grid-based CAT tool would do what you need.

As to which CAT, I'm completely and entirely biased (so don't trust me at all) but I would suggest you download the trial of memoQ and give it a spin. The free trial is fully functional for a month. You might want to switch off a few things do they don't confuse or annoy you as a beginner:

Translation > Predictive Typing
... See more
I don't quite understand what you are looking for exactly but it would seem that pretty much every single grid-based CAT tool would do what you need.

As to which CAT, I'm completely and entirely biased (so don't trust me at all) but I would suggest you download the trial of memoQ and give it a spin. The free trial is fully functional for a month. You might want to switch off a few things do they don't confuse or annoy you as a beginner:

Translation > Predictive Typing And AutoPick >

Disable: Predictive Typing
Disable: AutoPick

I don't use them as they annoy me, but everyone is different and some people swear by them. With them switched off, I find memoQ to have the cleanest most functional user interface of all of the (many) CAT tools I have tested so far.

Michael

http://kilgray.com/
Collapse

LilianNekipelov
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Is there one that does not cut the text into very small fragments Jun 26, 2013

just sort of makes it easier to handle the text, without suggesting too many things, skipping the fuzzy phase. I am just interested if there is a tool that makes it easier for a translator to handle both texts on one screen, and helps to organize the document??That's all.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:11
English to Polish
+ ...
I do like Trados 2009's table Jun 26, 2013

I like the way the table is arranged in Trados 2009. I hate the TagEditor/Translation Tiger style of line above and line below. I prefer a table with source on the left and target on the right. Wordfast did that, but it was kinda basic, and I didn't like the tagging much. I have SDLX, but the colour-painting formatting annoys me to no end. I can, however, tolerate Trados 2009. In fact, I like it. I don't care to pay $13414337355445455445435 for webinars to become a software technician, but I'm o... See more
I like the way the table is arranged in Trados 2009. I hate the TagEditor/Translation Tiger style of line above and line below. I prefer a table with source on the left and target on the right. Wordfast did that, but it was kinda basic, and I didn't like the tagging much. I have SDLX, but the colour-painting formatting annoys me to no end. I can, however, tolerate Trados 2009. In fact, I like it. I don't care to pay $13414337355445455445435 for webinars to become a software technician, but I'm okay with the basic features.

Don't be mistaken, though, a large part of the justification of any CATs is the discounts, i.e. the ability to pay you less just because of pulling out an analysis that uncovers some similarities between various sentences in your source text. Which can basically be found in any text anyway. Kinda like deducting the time spent drinking water and getting paid 75% for the passive listening time for an interpreter. On the other hand, some jobs simply depend on having the CAT tool in the specification and that's it. No TM supplied or required, no nothing. Just CAT required. CAT marketing at its finest.
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:11
German to English
+ ...
Wordfast Classic Jun 26, 2013

You might want to try Wordfast Classic. It allows you to keep working within Word and shows you the source text above the target box. You can turn off auto-suggest, and as for smaller or larger segments - there is a button to expand or decrease segments. Its also easy to learn and inexpensive compared to some other options.

LilianNekipelov
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, thank you. I will check them. Jun 26, 2013

I just need something similar to Word, except which would allow one paragraph of the source text (or like 10 lines) to appear in a box on the left, and then there should be a pretty plain box without any colors where I would type my translation, just with a spell checking program. The program should also allow to store some parts of the translated text, and easily retrieve them, so they can be inserted somewhere else. I would also be nice if some parts of the text could be flagged somehow, so t... See more
I just need something similar to Word, except which would allow one paragraph of the source text (or like 10 lines) to appear in a box on the left, and then there should be a pretty plain box without any colors where I would type my translation, just with a spell checking program. The program should also allow to store some parts of the translated text, and easily retrieve them, so they can be inserted somewhere else. I would also be nice if some parts of the text could be flagged somehow, so they could be reviewed again, later on. I don't want a program that would cut the text into sentences, but rather fragments of about 8-10 lines.

[Edited at 2013-06-26 17:17 GMT]
Collapse

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:11
English to Russian
+ ...
trados Jun 26, 2013

if there is a tool that makes it easier for a translator to handle both texts on one screen, and helps to organize the document??That's all.

trados

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:11
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
'segmentation rules' Jun 26, 2013

LilianBNekipelo wrote:

I just need something similar to Word, except which would allow one paragraph of the source text (or like 10 lines) to appear in a box on the left, and then there should be a pretty plain box without any colors where I would type my translation, just with a spell checking program. The program should also allow to store some parts of the translated text, and easily retrieve them, so they can be inserted somewhere else. I would also be nice if some parts of the text could be flagged somehow, so they could be reviewed again, later on. I don't want a program that would cut the text into sentences, but rather fragments of about 8-10 lines.

[Edited at 2013-06-26 17:17 GMT]

You should be able to achieve that with any CAT tool where you can play around with so-called 'segmentation rules'. memoQ is one of these.

See e.g.:

http://kilgray.com/memoq/2013/help-en/index.html?segmentation_rules.html
http://kilgray.com/memoq/2013/help-en/index.html?editing_segmentation_rules.html
http://kilgray.com/memoq/2013/help-en/index.html?specify_segmentation_rules_for.html
http://kilgray.com/memoq/2013/help-en/index.html?segmentation_rules_srx.html

It might look complicated but you can always just ask on the memoQ mailing list (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/memoQ/ ) and I'm sure one of us could help you figure out the right segmentation. I think the most two common ones are into sentence, and into paragraphs.

Michael

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 11:11
Japanese to English
+ ...
In Trados Jun 27, 2013

You can segment by paragraph: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/226676-document_segmentation_at_the_paragraph_level_with_studio_2011.html

LilianNekipelov
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados has too many unnecessary features for me Jun 29, 2013

and I, personally, don't really feel like paying every time they change something to get a new version of it for $1,000. I don't really need all those matches, glossaries, etc. which seems quite overwhelming, if you check perhaps two words in a 10,000 document. It might be good for some beginning translators, perhaps.

Wordfast seems really nice -- not too heavy, or complicated. The colors are pretty mild too, not destructing your attention, which should be fully on the text.
<
... See more
and I, personally, don't really feel like paying every time they change something to get a new version of it for $1,000. I don't really need all those matches, glossaries, etc. which seems quite overwhelming, if you check perhaps two words in a 10,000 document. It might be good for some beginning translators, perhaps.

Wordfast seems really nice -- not too heavy, or complicated. The colors are pretty mild too, not destructing your attention, which should be fully on the text.

I think I found another use for CAT tools -- I think they might be great for language learning purposes. I don't really need them that much (only to organize the document) in translation in my usual language pairs, but they are really great to improve and enrich the knowledge of the language you know more at an advanced level rather than close to native. I think I am going to use some for that.
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:11
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
New use? Jun 29, 2013

LilianBNekipelo wrote:

I think I found another use for CAT tools -- I think they might be great for language learning purposes.

Interesting. I find CAT tools have many uses, but I wouldn't have said language learning is one of them.
How does your language learning improve using a CAT?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there any CAT tool that helps to manage the translation well?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »