Davidoff71
Davidoff71
Spain
Local time: 13:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 30, 2013

Hello everybody,

I am a complete begginer in terms of CAT tools.

If you had to choose, would you buy MemoQ 2103 or SDL Trados Studio 2011 Gold Edition?

Thanks,

David

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:07
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
memoQ 2013! May 30, 2013

Hi Davidoff71,

If I had to choose, I would go for memoQ.

Some reasons:

• memoQ has a better user interface. SDL products are notoriously, uhm, how can I say this without offending anyone? ... German. The memoQ interface is simple and gets the job done without getting in your way. I have never had a crash that actually lost me any work. The same can't be said of SDL products.

• memoQ is lighter, faster, more responsive. SDL Studio takes f
... See more
Hi Davidoff71,

If I had to choose, I would go for memoQ.

Some reasons:

• memoQ has a better user interface. SDL products are notoriously, uhm, how can I say this without offending anyone? ... German. The memoQ interface is simple and gets the job done without getting in your way. I have never had a crash that actually lost me any work. The same can't be said of SDL products.

• memoQ is lighter, faster, more responsive. SDL Studio takes forever to open and is often slow when working with large files and term bases and TMs. memoQ can handle millions of segments without breaking a sweat.

• memoQ has MUCH better support and it has an active user community (unlike SDL, which has a lot of people using their software that aren't particularly enamoured with SDL and their CAT tool). If you care about the tool you are using, you can communicate directly with the makers of memoQ in the mailing list (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/memoQ/). Try that with SDL

• memoQ has a sense of humour.

Michael

[Edited at 2013-05-30 14:00 GMT]
Collapse

IrimiConsulting
IrimiConsulting  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2010)
English to Swedish
+ ...
My take on the decision May 30, 2013

I was in the same position about three years ago when I started out. I chose Trados Studio 2009 + Trados 2007 because
- I was pretty sure I would need to deliver bilingual .doc files
- Studio supported a larger number of file formats

My decision was influenced by my situation and my anticipated needs, and I later knew that I chose the right tool. But if a client offered a sufficient amount of work that required MemoQ, I would purchase and use MemoQ as well.

... See more
I was in the same position about three years ago when I started out. I chose Trados Studio 2009 + Trados 2007 because
- I was pretty sure I would need to deliver bilingual .doc files
- Studio supported a larger number of file formats

My decision was influenced by my situation and my anticipated needs, and I later knew that I chose the right tool. But if a client offered a sufficient amount of work that required MemoQ, I would purchase and use MemoQ as well.

Michael B's points are all valid, but not for all users. Lighter and faster is always better though.
Collapse

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 14:07
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
MemoQ May 30, 2013

For the same reasons.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
memoQ May 30, 2013

With Michael completely. My experience too. memoQ's evolution since I bought a server edition for my team in 2009 has been remarkable. And version 2013 has very nice new features too! Excellent support puts the cream in the cake.

Natron
Natron
Japan
Local time: 20:07
English to Japanese
+ ...
Try them both May 31, 2013

Davidoff71 wrote:
MemoQ 2103

I would imagine by 2103, MT and hence the computers and robots will reign supreme. Mua ha ha.

But in all seriousness, when I started I first tried the trial of SDL 2011 because that was the "industry standard". After I found out I couldn't even try the software properly and make a termbase without installing a separate piece of software (multiterm) which didn't have a trial version, it really turned me off. I got in contact with the company and they said a trial version could be arranged under the condition of me giving them my "organization's" name and that I must be seriously considering a purchase. They said sorry for the inconvenience but it is "company policy" which turned me off even more. I've heard this has possibly been changed, but I can't confirm that. I also had several crashes in winalign. That being said I will still probably try the next version out just to see what has changed.

I tried the MemoQ 6.0 trial and never looked back. Just the fact that I could make a termbase in the trial, it didn't crash on me during alignment of the same files and the hhgttg reference had me hooked.

Long story short, both have free trials so try them both and see which one suits your needs better.

Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 19:07
English to Italian
+ ...
MemoQ May 31, 2013

I am using both Studio 2011 and MemoQ 6. I do most of my jobs with Studio because my customers require Studio. But if i could choose without my customers pushing me i'd go for MemoQ (I actually do it when i can), except for the fact i like the Studio interface more (less clutter).

The reasons are all above. I could add with MemoQ i can change source, edit tags and rarely have a file refusing to open or save to target is enough, term extracting function and term management are integr
... See more
I am using both Studio 2011 and MemoQ 6. I do most of my jobs with Studio because my customers require Studio. But if i could choose without my customers pushing me i'd go for MemoQ (I actually do it when i can), except for the fact i like the Studio interface more (less clutter).

The reasons are all above. I could add with MemoQ i can change source, edit tags and rarely have a file refusing to open or save to target is enough, term extracting function and term management are integrated and included in the price (not additional tools you need to open externally). Adding up the fact that when i have an issue i get support by email in no time is a key to me. Lower cost is another key drive. It's also fast, very fast and not a resource hog. Also, no Java issues, no error messages, etc.

I'll keep using and upgrading both (also because i am very used to the Studio workflow by now and i work fast anyways); but if i had a choice without my customers asking me Studio, i'd go for MemoQ as standard CAT and then maybe i'd add a pure localization tool for more complex localization jobs.

Bear in mind not all users may share my views and based on what job you need to do Studio may be the required standard CAT. But if you're looking for the best cost-efficient CAT between Studio and MQ then in my humble opinion MQ is a no brainer.

But since all users may, or not, be biased. You can download a trial version of both and see how you feel with both workflows.

- Test standard TTX, INX, PDF, PPT files
- Test the term extraction process
- Test term addition/modification process
- Test how the two interfaces suit your needs (open the same translation on both trial
versions, customize the interface as you wish and then see which one has your eyes more relaxed etc.)
- Try loading a really huge TM or MT glossary and see how long it takes.
- Test the QA functions, especially with numbers

Make tests by yourself and then see which one suits better.

I hope it helps.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
It's a good job... May 31, 2013

Michael Beijer wrote:

• memoQ has MUCH better support and it has an active user community (unlike SDL, which has a lot of people using their software that aren't particularly enamoured with SDL and their CAT tool). If you care about the tool you are using, you can communicate directly with the makers of memoQ in the mailing list (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/memoQ/). Try that with SDL

... we have a sense of humour too because this is nonsense! We regularly participate in all the major user forums for our products, and we even help out in the other CAT tools forums when appropriate.

Regards

Paul
SDL Support

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
:-) May 31, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

... we have a sense of humour too because this is nonsense! We (i.e., Paul) regularly participate(s) in all the major user forums for our products, and we (i.e., Paul) even help(s) out in the other CAT tools forums when appropriate.

Regards

Paul
SDL Support

Hi Paul,

Hope you don't mind my small change to your text;)

Michael

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:07
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Ask your customers May 31, 2013

Never ever has any customer asked me if I use MemoQ or required me to use it. But without Studio 2011 I nowadays cannot exist. The problems I have had with the software were few and could be resolved with help from other users.

But if MemoQ can handle sdlxliff formats and Trados TMs it would be worth a try.

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Up to you May 31, 2013

I tried MemoQ, never liked the user interface and I was never able to even process a single project. As I see it you need some training.

Actually this is what I got for Trados 2007/2009 and 2011 and voila, I like it - I like the user interface and I don't have any complaint about the SDL Trados support, as I see it, they are competent and responsive. And the best thing is not even in
... See more
I tried MemoQ, never liked the user interface and I was never able to even process a single project. As I see it you need some training.

Actually this is what I got for Trados 2007/2009 and 2011 and voila, I like it - I like the user interface and I don't have any complaint about the SDL Trados support, as I see it, they are competent and responsive. And the best thing is not even in the package - Trados OpenExchange http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/. I am not aware that MemoQ offers a similar feature.

IMO it comes down to the basic questions, what do you like and what do you need.

[Edited at 2013-05-31 13:13 GMT]
Collapse

Idoia Echenique
Idoia Echenique  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
memoQ May 31, 2013

I started with Trados 2007 several years ago and then SDL Studio 2009, until I tried memoQ. I never looked back! I found the latter a lot easier to learn and never had a crash during four years of daily use with documents in many different formats.

Idoia

James Pelow
James Pelow  Identity Verified
Ireland
English to Irish
+ ...
MemoQ. No competition. May 31, 2013

MemoQ.

I used Studio 2009 and Studio 2011 up to about 2 months ago when I got fed up trying to align a document. It just kept crashing.

Since I switched to MemoQ my productivity has skyrocketed. I couldn't live without LiveDocs now.

-jp

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Actually I do May 31, 2013

Michael Beijer wrote:

... we have a sense of humour too because this is nonsense! We (i.e., Paul) regularly participate(s) in all the major user forums for our products, and we (i.e., Paul) even help(s) out in the other CAT tools forums when appropriate.

Hi Paul,

Hope you don't mind my small change to your text;)

Michael

It's true that I post more than anyone else... but then participating in social media has become a large part of my role at SDL for SDL. But if you were to investigate you would find half a dozen or so SDL people responding when appropriate. Some as SDL Support, others such as Massi, responding as themselves.

Even if there weren't, how many people at SDL do you think have to respond before you would say it's SDL rather than the individuals paid by SDL posting for SDL? Why is memoQ any different?

Quite ridiculous.

Paul

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Fair Play May 31, 2013

... should be a rule when assessing CAT tools. Paul and other CAT tools providers assist us as soon as possible when there's an issue and generally provide a quick solution and/or workaround.

A lot of questions asked are related to lack of training/computer/OS knowledge, etc. Seems always easy to spot suspected flaws in any CAT tool, just because YOU can't master it. With Internet, most people should first search the KBs and/or forums (OpenExchange) to find answers before
... See more
... should be a rule when assessing CAT tools. Paul and other CAT tools providers assist us as soon as possible when there's an issue and generally provide a quick solution and/or workaround.

A lot of questions asked are related to lack of training/computer/OS knowledge, etc. Seems always easy to spot suspected flaws in any CAT tool, just because YOU can't master it. With Internet, most people should first search the KBs and/or forums (OpenExchange) to find answers before barking at the wrong tree.

Bernard

[Edited at 2013-05-31 20:57 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-05-31 21:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-05-31 21:00 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados studio 2011 Gold edition vs MemoQ2103

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »