DennisT
DennisT
Estonia
Local time: 14:35
Estonian to Russian
+ ...
May 25, 2013

Hi everybody,

I am newbie here, so my apologies if I posted this in the wrong section. Can anybody please suggest a tool for viewing .tmx files outside a project. Particularly for Windows, but maybe Linux, too.

Thanks!

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:35
English to French
+ ...
Notepad++ May 25, 2013

Hi Denis,

Download Notepad++ but there are other similar tools.

HTH,

Bernard

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Maybe this: May 25, 2013

Not sure if it will suit you, but you may give it a try: http://syntax.home.pl/tmxpreview.html

Regards

Piotr

DennisT wrote:

Hi everybody,

I am newbie here, so my apologies if I posted this in the wrong section. Can anybody please suggest a tool for viewing .tmx files outside a project. Particularly for Windows, but maybe Linux, too.

Thanks!

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:35
German to English
+ ...
Notepad++ May 25, 2013

Notepad++ is a text editor that is more "intelligent" than Windows Notepad. To use it to view an XML file (such as a TMX file: TMX is an XML application), you should select "XML" in the Language menu. You will then still see the full contents of the TMX file but the different categories of content will be in different colours. Example: in this extract

<tuv xml:lang="de-DE">
<seg>Entscheidung fällt erst im Juni</seg>
</tuv>
<tuv x
... See more
Notepad++ is a text editor that is more "intelligent" than Windows Notepad. To use it to view an XML file (such as a TMX file: TMX is an XML application), you should select "XML" in the Language menu. You will then still see the full contents of the TMX file but the different categories of content will be in different colours. Example: in this extract

<tuv xml:lang="de-DE">
<seg>Entscheidung fällt erst im Juni</seg>
</tuv>
<tuv xml:lang="en-GB">
<seg>A decision will not be made until June.</seg>
</tuv>

the segments' contents ("Entscheidung fällt erst im Juni" and "A decision will not be made until June.") are shown in black and the tags (<tuv ...>) are part-blue (tag name and attribute string) and part-red (attribute name). You can change the colours in
Settings > Style Configurator... - Language XML

Oliver

[Edited at 2013-05-25 23:19 GMT]
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 19:35
English to Thai
+ ...
Simple tool May 25, 2013

Oliver Walter wrote:
Notepad++ is a text editor that is more "intelligent" than Windows Notepad. To use it to view an XML file (such as a TMX file: TMX is an XML application), you should select "XML" in the Language menu. You will then still see the full contents of the TMX file but the different categories of content will be in different colours.

I use Notepad as a simple and quick viewing tool. Of course, Notepad++ is much better.
MS Word is also OK for this purpose.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

[Edited at 2013-05-25 23:52 GMT]

Elias Marios Kounas

DennisT
DennisT
Estonia
Estonian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'd also like to search in it May 25, 2013

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! The problem is I also want to look up segment parts in this file. I guess it is not very convenient if the file is opened as plain text. AFAIK XML is a very rich in tags and not very easy to view without a parser. Maybe the XSL file Piotr mentioned will make the database more readable. Thanks, Piotr! I'll probably give it a try.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Why not Okapi Olifant? May 25, 2013

It is the best tool for working with TMX files, and the most convenient one, imho. Of course, it depends on what do you want to do with your TMX.

DennisT
DennisT
Estonia
Estonian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Olifant? Sounds interesting... May 25, 2013

Natalie wrote:

It is the best tool for working with TMX files, and the most convenient one, imho. Of course, it depends on what do you want to do with your TMX.

Thanks, Natalie! This sounds like a nice tool. I googled and downloaded it. The list of features seems great, however... It failed to open one of my most frequently used TMs. A large one, also. Here is the error message I got:

Opening TM...
Error: '', hexadecimal value 0x03, is an invalid character. Line 4967, position 52.
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args)

I tried it on a smaller TMX file and it opened without a problem. I'll have to look at it more closely. Thanks again!

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
CSS May 26, 2013

Associate a CSS style sheet with the TMX and you can view it in any Web browser.

See my posting http://deu.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/223163-urgent:_studio_2011_how_can_i_convert_sdltm_to_txt.html#1932077

DennisT
DennisT
Estonia
Estonian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TMX->TXT May 26, 2013

Joakim Braun wrote:

Associate a CSS style sheet with the TMX and you can view it in any Web browser.

See my posting http://deu.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/223163-urgent:_studio_2011_how_can_i_convert_sdltm_to_txt.html#1932077

Thanks Joakim for the very helpful piece of advice! BTW I followed the link in your profile and found out about your program for searching in TMX files, Xoterm, but it is only for the Mac, right?

Heartsome Support
Heartsome Support
Local time: 20:35
Try Heartsome TMX Editor May 27, 2013

You can try Heartsome TMX Editor which can be used on Windows, Linux, Mac. http://www.heartsome.net/EN/downloads_r7.html

DennisT
DennisT
Estonia
Estonian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution found May 27, 2013

Okay, I've finally fixed on Olifant for .tmx maintenance, and TmxPad for looking up terms and segments. Thanks everyone for the help!

Weblinguists
Weblinguists  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:35
English to French
+ ...
A free online TMX file viewer Feb 20, 2014

Hi guys,

My agency just launched Wazzo, a free online tmx viewer: http://wazzo.ca/.

It should allow you to open any tmx file and view it in your browser (if it doesn't, let me know).

The bird is a little grumpy, but he's helpful nonetheless.

Enjoy!

-Eric

Laura Brown
Laura Brown  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:35
Member (2016)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Very late seeing this, but this TMX viewer is awesome - thank you! Nov 4, 2016

Weblinguists wrote:

Hi guys,

My agency just launched Wazzo, a free online tmx viewer: http://wazzo.ca/.

It should allow you to open any tmx file and view it in your browser (if it doesn't, let me know).

The bird is a little grumpy, but he's helpful nonetheless.

Enjoy!

-Eric

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Privacy Nov 4, 2016

So you're using this online converter. Are you sure that your client agrees with the use of it?

[Edited at 2016-11-04 22:04 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Standalone .tmx file viewer

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »