https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/2488-tech_support_winzip_trouble_standard_microsoft_cab_format.html&phpv_redirected=1

tech support - winzip trouble (standard Microsoft CAB format?)
Thread poster: Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 27, 2002

We are installing a DSL modem and we are unable to UNZIP two files of the modem software CD disk and the error coming up is the following:

\"WINZIP cannot open HSL Modem data1.CAB because it is not in the standard Microsoft CAB format [ as defined in mid-1998]. The signature bytes required by the Microsoft CAB specification are missing.\"

Though
... See more
We are installing a DSL modem and we are unable to UNZIP two files of the modem software CD disk and the error coming up is the following:

\"WINZIP cannot open HSL Modem data1.CAB because it is not in the standard Microsoft CAB format [ as defined in mid-1998]. The signature bytes required by the Microsoft CAB specification are missing.\"

Though techs have helped us over the phone and a tech came personally days ago, our attempts to get the internet provider solve our problem have been fruitless.

The operation of the PC is normal. Our system is a SONY VAIO Pentium 3, 800 E Mhz, 128 RAM and we are using Windows 98.

We have also tried on a SONY Laptop using Windows ME. Never mind which computer we use, the problem is the same.

Your help will be appreciated. We\'re going nuts!

Collapse

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That smiley should not be there, Sorry Apr 27, 2002

\"WINZIP cannot open H DSL Modem data1.CAB because it is not in the standard Microsoft CAB format [ as defined in mid-1998]. The signature bytes required by the Microsoft CAB specification are missing.\"

Though techs have helped us over the phone and a tech
... See more

\"WINZIP cannot open H DSL Modem data1.CAB because it is not in the standard Microsoft CAB format [ as defined in mid-1998]. The signature bytes required by the Microsoft CAB specification are missing.\"

Though techs have helped us over the phone and a tech came personally days ago, our attempts to get the internet provider solve our problem have been fruitless.

The operation of the PC is normal. Our system is a SONY VAIO Pentium 3, 800 E Mhz, 128 RAM and we are using Windows 98.

We have also tried on a SONY Laptop using Windows ME. Never mind which computer we use, the problem is the same.

Your help will be appreciated. We\'re going nuts!

Collapse

Klaus Dorn (X)
Klaus Dorn (X)
Local time: 09:59
German to English
+ ...
try this: Apr 27, 2002

There are two types of \".cab\" files. Windows (and in this case, Norton), uses the kind that ISN\'T a compression method. The other .cab, that winzip reads, is. This is why you can\'t open them with winzip.

Personally, I would de-install WinZip, then install the modem (in which case the message shouldn\'t come up), then re-install WinZip.

You can access .cab files [at least the MS ones] by downloading from the site below a program called \'Cabview\' and
... See more
There are two types of \".cab\" files. Windows (and in this case, Norton), uses the kind that ISN\'T a compression method. The other .cab, that winzip reads, is. This is why you can\'t open them with winzip.

Personally, I would de-install WinZip, then install the modem (in which case the message shouldn\'t come up), then re-install WinZip.

You can access .cab files [at least the MS ones] by downloading from the site below a program called \'Cabview\' and this will open the MS .cabs [more important to extract lost files] but will also open the Norton ones but they will look empty. You could remove .cab files first from the View>Options>File Types and then Cabview will re-associate them with it.

http://filedudes.ozbytes.net.au/win95/shellenh/powertoy.html
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:59
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi, Bertha! Apr 27, 2002

The solution is quite simple.

You don\'t need Winzip to extract .cab files.

In Windows Explorer, open the folder with cab files.

Double-click on a cab file; you will see its content.

Press and hold SHIFT and click on the first and the last files; all files will be selected.

Drag the selected fles to the folder where you want the cab file to be extracted.

You are done!

Cheers,

Natal
... See more
The solution is quite simple.

You don\'t need Winzip to extract .cab files.

In Windows Explorer, open the folder with cab files.

Double-click on a cab file; you will see its content.

Press and hold SHIFT and click on the first and the last files; all files will be selected.

Drag the selected fles to the folder where you want the cab file to be extracted.

You are done!

Cheers,

Natalia

Collapse

Klaus Dorn (X)
Klaus Dorn (X)
Local time: 09:59
German to English
+ ...
another idea... Apr 27, 2002

If you don\'t want to install WinZip, try this:

The data1.cab file is a file used by the installer. You should not try to open it with WinZip. If you have that file (and the ohers that go along with it) you are done with WinZip and ready to run the installer.

OK, I know, we need to look at your file associations. You can change them like this:

To modify a file type

In My Computer or Windows Explorer, on the View
... See more
If you don\'t want to install WinZip, try this:

The data1.cab file is a file used by the installer. You should not try to open it with WinZip. If you have that file (and the ohers that go along with it) you are done with WinZip and ready to run the installer.

OK, I know, we need to look at your file associations. You can change them like this:

To modify a file type

In My Computer or Windows Explorer, on the View menu, click Folder Options.

Click the File Types tab.

Click the file type you want to modify, and then click Edit.

In Action, change the action from whatever it is currently to \"blank\" (no entry) and then click OK.

Now, if you feel this is too dangerous, you can do the same in WinZip itself: WinZip associations

You can easily review and modify the types of archives with which WinZip is associated from within WinZip. When an archive type is associated with WinZip, Windows will use WinZip to open files of that type.

To view and modify WinZip associations, choose Configuration from the Options menu, click the System tab, and click the Associations button. In the dialog that follows, you will see a list of archive types. You can specify whether an archive type should be associated with WinZip by checking or unchecking the checkbox next to the archive type.

OK, now have fun - one of the two will work, I\'m sure!
Collapse

jccantrell
jccantrell  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
German to English
Apr 30, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-27 16:01, Bertha wrote:

Based on the simple answers received here (assuming they solved your problem), if the techs came from the company that provided the modem (with its software), I pre... See more
Quote:

On 2002-04-27 16:01, Bertha wrote:

Based on the simple answers received here (assuming they solved your problem), if the techs came from the company that provided the modem (with its software), I predict that you will have more troubles in the future with this setup, especially if you make any changes.

Not that I could provide any solution either. Just a sad comment on the state of what passes for technical knowledge in today\'s world.

Good luck. ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

tech support - winzip trouble (standard Microsoft CAB format?)

Translation news related to CAT tools

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »