SDLX.........is it really worth?
Thread poster: roak
roak
roak
United States
German to English
Sep 19, 2004

I am told that there is a discount offer for this package and this is only for the 30th of SEPT. The discount is quite substantial. The application looks good ( I was given an online demo) but I was tolfd on phone by the lady giving the presentation that the "Analyse" function plus a few more are not available in the Standard version.

How does this software stand in comparison with Trados? Is there a general view on this?

Personally I would go in for the offer (given t
... See more
I am told that there is a discount offer for this package and this is only for the 30th of SEPT. The discount is quite substantial. The application looks good ( I was given an online demo) but I was tolfd on phone by the lady giving the presentation that the "Analyse" function plus a few more are not available in the Standard version.

How does this software stand in comparison with Trados? Is there a general view on this?

Personally I would go in for the offer (given the discount) but the fact that such critical functions are not there in the standard version, makes me shy away from it.

What do my colleagues have to say on this??
Collapse

Klas Törnquist
Klas Törnquist
Local time: 04:35
English to Swedish
+ ...
Better than Trados Sep 19, 2004

roak wrote:

Personally I would go in for the offer (given the discount) but the fact that such critical functions are not there in the standard version, makes me shy away from it.

What do my colleagues have to say on this??

I use DejaVu, but have tried the previous version (2003) of SDLX.
I think SDLX definitely looks better than Trados. It has at least one feature that Trados does not. It can handle some file types (e.g. HTML) in such a way that you have access to all the files in a project at once (called gluing).
One thing that may look as a disadvantage at first is that SDLX uses its own editor, unlike Trados, which uses Word, or TagEditor.
IMO that is rather an advantage, since Word and TagEditor can only process one file at a time.

If you decide to go for SDLX, maybe you should consider the Professional version, since I believe that is the minimum version for a freelancer.
You can download SDLX and try it for free for a limited time.

HTH

Klas

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Yes, SDLX is worth it Sep 19, 2004

I have licences for both SDLX 2004 Standard and Trados 6.5. I never use Trados.

The main things I find better in SDLX than in Trados are the following :

1. You can keep different translations for the same segment. For example, sometimes you have:

EN FR

Chlorine Chlore
Chlorine Le chlore
chlorine le chlore
chlorine du chlore

As far I know, you can't keep the four translation
... See more
I have licences for both SDLX 2004 Standard and Trados 6.5. I never use Trados.

The main things I find better in SDLX than in Trados are the following :

1. You can keep different translations for the same segment. For example, sometimes you have:

EN FR

Chlorine Chlore
Chlorine Le chlore
chlorine le chlore
chlorine du chlore

As far I know, you can't keep the four translations with Trados. With SDLX you can.

2. The error messages are explicit and useful. You can remedy the situation without getting in touch with Support or Ralf.

Since I have the Standard version I don't have the Analyse function. But it's not a big problem. With Word documents, I use Wordfast. With other documents, the agency will send you the log file with the analysis.

Esther
Collapse

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:35
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Certainly worthwhile Sep 20, 2004

Remember that with SDLX you can import and export Trados files and translation memories, which is a very important recently-added feature.

Add to that the extremely user-friendly interface.

It's true that the analyse function would be useful, but see the comments above (and consider the price).

Most of all, consider how many desperate calls for Trados help you see in Proz forums...

I have a PPT presentation which specifically compares Trados wi
... See more
Remember that with SDLX you can import and export Trados files and translation memories, which is a very important recently-added feature.

Add to that the extremely user-friendly interface.

It's true that the analyse function would be useful, but see the comments above (and consider the price).

Most of all, consider how many desperate calls for Trados help you see in Proz forums...

I have a PPT presentation which specifically compares Trados with SDLX. If you'd like to see it I would be only too pleased to send it to you.

HTH
Regards,
Chris
+++
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Why comparing SDLX with Trados? Sep 20, 2004

If you want to compare SDLX with a similar program, then with DejaVu X.

Regards

roak
roak
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yee I would love to have a look Sep 20, 2004

Chris, could you please send that ppt file at the earliest?
My decision making would largely depend on that. I am talking here about the STANDARD version and not the Professional one.

My concern is that with the missing functions, clients may take us for a ride. I suspect this purely because I have not used it yet. So those who are familiar with it, could clarify this.

Thanks in advance for the file.

[Edited at 2004-09
... See more
Chris, could you please send that ppt file at the earliest?
My decision making would largely depend on that. I am talking here about the STANDARD version and not the Professional one.

My concern is that with the missing functions, clients may take us for a ride. I suspect this purely because I have not used it yet. So those who are familiar with it, could clarify this.

Thanks in advance for the file.

[Edited at 2004-09-20 09:11]
Collapse

Claudia Digel
Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Use SDL Utilities to analyse your ITD files Sep 20, 2004

roak wrote:

I was tolfd on phone by the lady giving the presentation that the "Analyse" function plus a few more are not available in the Standard version.

There is a free add-on for SDLX 2004 called SDL Utilities which can be downloaded from

http://www.sdl.com/products-home/products/sdlx/sdlx-2004-xtra-features.htm

You can use this program to analyse your ITD files. I only used it once because I have the Professional version but as far as I remember it produces an analysis that is similar (if not identical) to the one you can create with the Analyse function.

I would definitely go for SDLX rather than Trados. It's a lot more user-friendly than Trados and, as Esther and Chris have pointed out it has some really good features that Trados doesn't have.

HTH

Claudia

Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
I could not agree more Sep 20, 2004

Claudia Digel wrote:

I would definitely go for SDLX rather than Trados. It's a lot more user-friendly than Trados and, as Esther and Chris have pointed out it has some really good features that Trados doesn't have.

HTH

Claudia

An then look up the forums how many cases of conflict/problems/malfunctions in TRADOS are reported here.

I use SDLX myself. Never had any problems, except I had to buy a new computer with sufficient RAM. But that, bythen, had been due anyway.

And you may download a fully functionable demo version from their website which will work for 30 days for you to explore, as far as I remember. I am not talking about an "online presentation".

Ten days should also be sufficient for taking a decision, so that you will be able to benefit from the discount offer still.

My advice: Keep your fingers off of TRADOS. It's rubbish, compared to SDLX. I've tried it, and, man, I am glad I was able to resell and get rid of it.

Regards
Steffen

[Edited at 2004-09-20 11:00]

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
YES !! Sep 20, 2004

I am using SDLX 2004 and Wordfast (instead of TRADOS, as I find their price policy not too encouraging).
If I have to, I'll buy TRADOS as well, but SDLX offers very good quality and is very stable.
I even have a support contract and I have to say with some beginners problems I had a guy from the UK calling me in Spain on a Friday afternoon....
I like the feature that you can work with several translation memories at one time (you can assign update/lookup/concordance functions
... See more
I am using SDLX 2004 and Wordfast (instead of TRADOS, as I find their price policy not too encouraging).
If I have to, I'll buy TRADOS as well, but SDLX offers very good quality and is very stable.
I even have a support contract and I have to say with some beginners problems I had a guy from the UK calling me in Spain on a Friday afternoon....
I like the feature that you can work with several translation memories at one time (you can assign update/lookup/concordance functions to each one of them); also that it stores if necessary 10 (slightly) different translations of the same segment or part of it. (in TM, through TM or concordance).
As it does not work in a word environment it does not interfere with other files I open in Word or Excel (other glossaries etc.).
I have the feeling you can find the ppt presentation on the SDL website. There may be more offers in the future anyway.

If you are a good technical translator, you might consider applying with SDL, if you pass the tests you are usually offered SDLX at a reduced price and you get to work a lot with your newly acquired software.
Collapse

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
YES!!! Sep 20, 2004

I have SDLX Pro (after SDLX Standard), Wordfast, Metatexis and had proven many CATs - but SDLX is great. The environnment is the same for all files (DOC, PPT, XLS, XLM, HTML, MIF etc.).
And you can send your customers TTX files back or files for Trados Export.

Geneviève

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
SDLX Utilities for Analysing Sep 20, 2004

Claudia Digel wrote:

There is a free add-on for SDLX 2004 called SDL Utilities which can be downloaded from

You can use this program to analyse your ITD files. I only used it once because I have the Professional version but as far as I remember it produces an analysis that is similar (if not identical) to the one you can create with the Analyse function.

HTH

Claudia

It works! And, as always with SDLX, it's easy to use.

Thank you, Claudia. I had downloaded it when it came out but hadn't realized you could use it to analyse a set of file.

Best,
Esther

roak
roak
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I am glad itdoes! Sep 20, 2004

Esther Pfeffer wrote:

Claudia Digel wrote:

HTH

Claudia

It works! And, as always with SDLX, it's easy to use.

Thank you, Claudia. I had downloaded it when it came out but hadn't realized you could use it to analyse a set of file.

Best,
Esther

The lady giving the demo the other day was herself somewhat unsure about this so she sent me a mail saying that this procedure can be followed for analysing the files. I just assumed it to be a marketing trick played by her.
I really wanted someone to confirm that there was some truth in what she said. Thanks a lot!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX.........is it really worth?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »