Thread poster: synonymenet
synonymenet
synonymenet
Spain
Local time: 07:01
English
May 6, 2013

Hi

I have several .PO and Javascript which I need to translate, and have decided to use DéjàVu (the most up-to-date version) as Trados does not process these files.

However I have come up against two problems:

1) in the .PO file, the source column is filled with coding and the target column is filled with the source text. Does anyone know how to manipulate the file so that the source text is read correctly?

2) in the Javascript files, the a
... See more
Hi

I have several .PO and Javascript which I need to translate, and have decided to use DéjàVu (the most up-to-date version) as Trados does not process these files.

However I have come up against two problems:

1) in the .PO file, the source column is filled with coding and the target column is filled with the source text. Does anyone know how to manipulate the file so that the source text is read correctly?

2) in the Javascript files, the accents in the source language (French) come up with coding (e.g. "R\\u00e9sultat de votre recherche"). I have changed each of the Javascript file settings to read UTF-8 coding (instead of the automatic settings), but to no avail.

My client needs the file exactly as it is, so I cannot convert to MS Word or MS Wordpad / Notepad.

If anyone knows of another (free) CAT tool which can process these files in a better way, your suggestions would be welcomed. Otherwise, please let me know if you could help resolve the above mentioned problems.

Thanks
Collapse

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:01
French to English
+ ...
Not actually an encoding issue per se May 6, 2013

I don't know of an actual tool off hand, but this isn't an encoding issue per se. What you have is a (presumably) plain ASCII file containing what are usually called "Unicode escape sequences", in case that helps you find a tool to convert them.

If you can work out what the accents are, then you could just ignore the problem and replace the text with the translation as usual: as I say, it's not a file encoding issue.

Otherwise, if you don't find a tool to convert Unicod
... See more
I don't know of an actual tool off hand, but this isn't an encoding issue per se. What you have is a (presumably) plain ASCII file containing what are usually called "Unicode escape sequences", in case that helps you find a tool to convert them.

If you can work out what the accents are, then you could just ignore the problem and replace the text with the translation as usual: as I say, it's not a file encoding issue.

Otherwise, if you don't find a tool to convert Unicode escape sequences to characters on Google, you could maybe ask the client: it's a fairly trivial programming exercise to write such a tool and I assume they're an IT company...
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 07:01
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Okapi Tools May 6, 2013

First problem:

What you have is a specific "flavor" of .po files, which is not handled by most tools. It is not a truly bilingual file, but a monolingual one: you are supposed to replace the original text.

I usually use Okapi Tools to process such files: http://okapi.opentag.com/ There is a bit of a learning curve there, but the tool might get useful.

Second problem:
... See more
First problem:

What you have is a specific "flavor" of .po files, which is not handled by most tools. It is not a truly bilingual file, but a monolingual one: you are supposed to replace the original text.

I usually use Okapi Tools to process such files: http://okapi.opentag.com/ There is a bit of a learning curve there, but the tool might get useful.

Second problem:

As Neil pointed out, it is not a matter of encoding, but escaping. If you are not using diacritics other than those in the source, just copy them. If your target language needs some, then you would have to replace all the characters with the respective codes. Incidentally, Okapi Tools might help you with that as well - it has a pipeline step called "Encoding conversion", which can "escape" the relevant characters.
Collapse

Heartsome Support
Heartsome Support
Local time: 13:01
Heartsome supports both PO and JavaScript files May 7, 2013

Heartsome supports both PO and JavaScript files. You may have a try with Heartsome latest version: https://www.heartsome.net/EN/downloads.html .

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Javascript and PO files

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »