Is a web-based TM the same as a TM which is located on a server?
Thread poster: Els Eerdekens
Els Eerdekens
Els Eerdekens
Belgium
French to Dutch
May 2, 2013

Dear all,

Just to be sure, I would like to know if a web-based TM is the same as a TM on a server.

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Els Eerdekens

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 11:09
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Yep. May 2, 2013

Synonyms.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:09
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No... May 2, 2013

Els Eerdekens wrote:
I would like to know if a web-based TM is the same as a TM on a server.

Where did you hear about "web-based TM"? I suppose a web-based TM is a TM that you can access using your web browser somehow. If this is so, then most web-based TMs would indeed be "on a server" (i.e. not on your own, local computer). I don't know of any TMs that you can access using a web browser if the TM itself is on your own computer, but... theoretically it's possible.

The term "TM on a server" usually just means that the TM is accessible via a network. In other words, it is not stored on your own, local computer. The network may be connected to the internet, or it may be a closed network. So, a TM on a server may be on the internet... or not.

It gets more complicated... technically speaking, a server doens't have to be a separate computer, so it would be possible for some CAT tools to say that they use a TM on a server even if the TM is stored on the same computer as the one you're using. But I think most people who say "server" say it to mean a computer that is distinct from your own computer (be it on a local network, a wider network, or even the internet).

Thomas Rebotier
Thomas Rebotier  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:09
English to French
Test tool speed May 3, 2013

Web-based means that it's read and updated I've seen horribly slow response time and I've seen very fast systems (XTM Cloud, to give credit where it is due). A slow tool would be the major drawback. Another might be discounting of internal matches--check the pricing scheme. On your own CAT tool a 70% repetition is a new sentence, you leverage internally something you just made. On a real-time online tool it may be just another 70% match... yet another way to slice and dime you to death... See more
Web-based means that it's read and updated I've seen horribly slow response time and I've seen very fast systems (XTM Cloud, to give credit where it is due). A slow tool would be the major drawback. Another might be discounting of internal matches--check the pricing scheme. On your own CAT tool a 70% repetition is a new sentence, you leverage internally something you just made. On a real-time online tool it may be just another 70% match... yet another way to slice and dime you to deathCollapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is a web-based TM the same as a TM which is located on a server?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »