What is the difference between 'text memory', 'author memory' and 'translation memory'?
Thread poster: Els Eerdekens
Els Eerdekens
Els Eerdekens
Belgium
French to Dutch
May 1, 2013

Dear all,

I would like to know the difference between 'text memory', 'author memory' and ‘translation memory’.

On Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Translation_memory#Recent_trends), I have found the following information:

Recent trends

One recent development is the concept of 'text memory' in contrast to transla
... See more
Dear all,

I would like to know the difference between 'text memory', 'author memory' and ‘translation memory’.

On Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Translation_memory#Recent_trends), I have found the following information:

Recent trends

One recent development is the concept of 'text memory' in contrast to translation memory.[3] This is also the basis of the proposed LISA OSCAR standard.[4] Text memory within xml:tm comprises 'author memory' and 'translation memory'. Author memory is used to keep track of changes during the authoring cycle. Translation memory uses the information from author memory to implement translation memory matching. Although primarily targeted at XML documents, xml:tm can be used on any document that can be converted to XLIFF[5] format.

Second generation translation memories

Much more powerful than first-generation TMs, they include a linguistic analysis engine, use chunk technology to break down segments into intelligent terminological groups, and automatically generate specific glossaries.

Does anyone understand this information? What is in fact the recent trend?

Thanks a lot!

Els
Collapse

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:12
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
some articles on this topic May 1, 2013

Els Eerdekens wrote:

Dear all,

I've written a few short articles on the topic of authoring memory and translation memory in the list of my publications and conference talks (updated 16 Aug 2012) at:
https://www.box.net/shared/b342dd6eb14b12e01c79

Chunking has always been a factor in the memory-based approaches. It's mainly been a challenge on how to chunk and based on which criteria. More recent trends have allowed statistical analysis using ngrams to provide the borders rather than a more general word-based concept.

Jeff

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the difference between 'text memory', 'author memory' and 'translation memory'?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »