How to align FrameMaker 9 files
Thread poster: Logofax
Logofax
Logofax
Local time: 08:27
Jan 7, 2013

I have been requested to ALIGN files that are only available in FM9 format. Unfortunately SDL STUDIO has not created yet an alignment tool that could be compatible with FM9 and I'm asking for your help to find out which tools you could suggest us to use. I think that I can convert FM9 files in Xliff files so it could be helpful also a tool that is able to successfully align complex xliff files.
The important thing is that the result of the alignment must be compatible with SDL memories.... See more
I have been requested to ALIGN files that are only available in FM9 format. Unfortunately SDL STUDIO has not created yet an alignment tool that could be compatible with FM9 and I'm asking for your help to find out which tools you could suggest us to use. I think that I can convert FM9 files in Xliff files so it could be helpful also a tool that is able to successfully align complex xliff files.
The important thing is that the result of the alignment must be compatible with SDL memories.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
.mif? Jan 7, 2013

WF Pro supports .mif format, I haven't tried the WFP aligner myself, but according to their website, it should be able to handle .mif files.

WFA also supports .mif, but it appears the WFA aligner does not - yet!

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Maybe... Jan 7, 2013

I don't know anything about either FM9 or xliff, so this is just a shot in the dark:
If xliff is close enough to sdlxliff for the 'sdlxliff converter for microsoft office' to work, then you're home and dry. Convert your FM9 files to xliff, then use the sdlxliff converter to convert them to exel or word, and you should be able to use any aligner on them. You may need to do a bit of postprocessing but it shouldn't be hard. If the converter can't take xliff files, I guess you could open them
... See more
I don't know anything about either FM9 or xliff, so this is just a shot in the dark:
If xliff is close enough to sdlxliff for the 'sdlxliff converter for microsoft office' to work, then you're home and dry. Convert your FM9 files to xliff, then use the sdlxliff converter to convert them to exel or word, and you should be able to use any aligner on them. You may need to do a bit of postprocessing but it shouldn't be hard. If the converter can't take xliff files, I guess you could open them with Studio and generate sdlxliff files from them - or even better, open the original FM9 files with Studio.

Of course one or more of these conversions could be lossy in some way, but if you're mostly going for concordance lookups and 100% matches are not crucial, it shouldn't be an issue.

At least you don't need to worry about the final format. All reasonably modern aligners can produce TMX files, which all versions of Trados accept. Occasionally there are hiccups with TMX, but they're generally very easy to fix, e.g. by changing the language codes.

[Edited at 2013-01-07 17:06 GMT]
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
and this may be helpful, it was already discussed recently Jan 7, 2013

http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/236659-aligning_framemaker_files.html

Logofax
Logofax
TOPIC STARTER
aligment of sdlxliff Jan 9, 2013

thank you all for your answers and for the links you gave me for other discussions.
The main problem with the files I'm using is that thay are complex FM files. I can convert them in .mif9 files, of course, but according to your answers I should then downgrade them to .mif7 or to word files and this will mean loosing all the FM informations and tags.
This is the reason why I thought to convert them in sdlxliff files for alignment but it seems that no aligment tool is available for th
... See more
thank you all for your answers and for the links you gave me for other discussions.
The main problem with the files I'm using is that thay are complex FM files. I can convert them in .mif9 files, of course, but according to your answers I should then downgrade them to .mif7 or to word files and this will mean loosing all the FM informations and tags.
This is the reason why I thought to convert them in sdlxliff files for alignment but it seems that no aligment tool is available for these files.
Is it correct?
Collapse

victor_lo (X)
victor_lo (X)
Local time: 14:27
Heartsome TMX Editor Jan 9, 2013

Heartsome TMX Editor supports align MIF files as TMX.
30-days' full-featured trial version can be donwloaded for their website: http://www.heartsome.net/EN/downloads_r7.html

BTW, it's Java-based, so it's cross-platform.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:27
Finnish to French
memoQ Jan 9, 2013

Logofax wrote:
This is the reason why I thought to convert them in sdlxliff files for alignment but it seems that no aligment tool is available for these files.

memoQ would align your .SDLXLIFF files, as it's one of the many formats it supports, both for translation and for alignment (LiveDocs). OTOH, there would be no need to convert your .MIF files into .SDLXLIFF, since memoQ supports the .MIF format natively.

Get your fully-functional 45-day trial copy at kilgray.com/downloads

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:27
Finnish to French
MIF with memoQ & Heartsome Jan 9, 2013

victor_lo wrote:
Heartsome TMX Editor supports align MIF files as TMX.

If Logofax can send me a source and a target MIF in private, I'd be happy to try how both memoQ and Heartsome fair with them, as I have both tools at my disposal.

Logofax
Logofax
TOPIC STARTER
trial version Jan 10, 2013

thank you all for your answers
Do you know if the trial version of the aligment tool for MemoQ or Heartsome are available online?

victor_lo (X)
victor_lo (X)
Local time: 14:27
yes Jan 11, 2013

Logofax wrote:

thank you all for your answers
Do you know if the trial version of the aligment tool for MemoQ or Heartsome are available online?

Yes, the trial versions are available on their website:
victor_lo wrote:

30-days' full-featured trial version can be donwloaded for their website: http://www.heartsome.net/EN/downloads_r7.html

R7 is their previous version, it seems the latest R8 only releases Translation Studio and no TMX Editor yet. Hoping the R8 version of TMX Editor will come soon.

Logofax
Logofax
TOPIC STARTER
final solution Jan 16, 2013

thank you all for answers and suggestment. I was finally able to download the trial version of MemoQ and use the Alignment tool that is very easy to work with and gives good results and compatibility with SDL.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to align FrameMaker 9 files

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »