Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:19
Russian to English
+ ...
Dec 18, 2012

Hi there

We are working on a big, ongoing project involving various translators and proofreaders. CAT tools are a requirement. Most of those involved are equipped with Trados/SDLX, however some use Wordfast and MemoIQ. We've never worked across different CAT tools before, and I'm wondering to what extent there may be compatibility issues importing/exporting TMs to and from different CAT platforms. Would appreciate any thoughts on this subject.

Thanks,

Dan

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 02:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
Can of worms Dec 18, 2012

AFAIK, there is some limited leeway of compatibility between WF and Trados. Don't know about the rest.
My main thoughts when reading the project description were along the lines of "rather them than me"..."Hell is other people"... etc.

Theo Bernards (X)
Theo Bernards (X)  Identity Verified
France
English to Dutch
+ ...
Other solution Dec 18, 2012

Why don't you gather all the source plus target documents and align them in you own preferred CAT-environment? That way, you avoid compatibility issues from the start and although it may sound a bit time consuming, it is probably more efficient than fixing translation memories every time.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You rule Dec 18, 2012

If you ask me, you are the one who should determine the format of the files to be processed, and then the team members should find a way to cope with that. What is your usual/preferred CAT tool?

Steven Segaert
Steven Segaert
Estonia
Local time: 03:19
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Pre-process Dec 18, 2012

I personally use MemoQ as my tool of choice, and because I have a lot of clients who have a SDL-based procedures and expectations, I do have quite some experience with interoperability. I won't speak for Wordfast.

My advice to you would be to establish a clear workflow and to determine in what format the translators will get the files and will have to deliver the result.

The main issue is usually with segmentation - the way in which a software divides a document into c
... See more
I personally use MemoQ as my tool of choice, and because I have a lot of clients who have a SDL-based procedures and expectations, I do have quite some experience with interoperability. I won't speak for Wordfast.

My advice to you would be to establish a clear workflow and to determine in what format the translators will get the files and will have to deliver the result.

The main issue is usually with segmentation - the way in which a software divides a document into chunks. Every tool follows its own rules for that, so the solution is to perform this segmentation yourself and to send segmented files to the translators. In doing this, you will avoid a lot of problems. Especially because it is not always clear if different versions of the same brand of tool follow the same segmentation rules.

At least MemoQ handles files that are segmented in Trados without problems (ttx and sdlxliff). And the resulting TM will follow this segmentation.

Once everyone in your team works with documents that are prepared using the same segmentation rules, the resulting TM's will match that. Both Trados products and MemoQ can exchange TM's in the .tmx format.

Basically, you should give some thought to how you expect materials to be sent and received, and you can even test it with a small sample of ten or so segments. In my experience, people who work with different tools generally know how to use their tool to deliver what is expected (if the expectations are clear). The result is usually much better than when someone is forced to work with an unfamiliar CAT tool.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compatibility levels of CAT tools

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »