Job requirements: TRADOS exclude Wordfast ?
Thread poster: chalotto
chalotto
chalotto  Identity Verified
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
Dec 12, 2012

Hi all,
hope this is the right place to post my question.

I'm new to CAT tools and I have to decide wich software to buy. I've found that products like TRADOS work only on Windows based platforms and Since I'm working on Mac (OSX) I will have to choose Wordfast.
But, at this point, my question is :

when in a job post appear TRADOS as a required tool, do they mean specifically Trados or ANY tool, then including Wordfast?
Can one answer to a job that
... See more
Hi all,
hope this is the right place to post my question.

I'm new to CAT tools and I have to decide wich software to buy. I've found that products like TRADOS work only on Windows based platforms and Since I'm working on Mac (OSX) I will have to choose Wordfast.
But, at this point, my question is :

when in a job post appear TRADOS as a required tool, do they mean specifically Trados or ANY tool, then including Wordfast?
Can one answer to a job that require TRADOS and if the job is done using Wf is there an option to export in a Trados file?

Thanks to those who can give an answer or, in case this would not be the right forum section, can redirect me to the appropriate one.
Collapse

Lennart Luhtaru
Lennart Luhtaru  Identity Verified
United States
English to Estonian
+ ...
depends Dec 12, 2012

It depends on clients and file formats. There is no one universal answer to this, often Trados is used just because they want the translator to use CAT tool and Trados is well known, but sometimes if the client wants Trados they really do want Trados and only Trados.

You can run Parallels+Windows+Trados on your Mac to use Trados if you want to.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 13:16
English to Czech
+ ...
CATs Dec 12, 2012

chalotto wrote:
...when in a job post appear TRADOS as a required tool, do they mean specifically Trados or ANY tool, then including Wordfast?

I strongly recommend that you ask each client. Some agencies will require specifically Trados and only Trados. OTOH, when I outsource a job, I ask for ANY Trados-compatible tool, i.e. the translator is free to use any tool, as long as he/she can deliver his/her translation in the format I need.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:16
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
You can use Windows emulator Dec 12, 2012

Generally SDL Studio is more versatile than Wordfast, but you need Windows. There are Windows emulators for your Mac. Relatively to the price of your hardware Studio is cheap, so you should go for it.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:16
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
The market reality Dec 13, 2012

Some translation outsourcers - and occasionally direct clients - reasonably demand Trados because they are developing/already have a significant TM for that client/specialty, and/or several translators will be working simultaneously on a large project, and consistency is essential.

Unfortunately too many outsourcers fell for SDL's marketing pitch, so these hold as a deeply ingrained belief that anyone, despite their possibly limited k
... See more
Some translation outsourcers - and occasionally direct clients - reasonably demand Trados because they are developing/already have a significant TM for that client/specialty, and/or several translators will be working simultaneously on a large project, and consistency is essential.

Unfortunately too many outsourcers fell for SDL's marketing pitch, so these hold as a deeply ingrained belief that anyone, despite their possibly limited knowledge of either or both source and target languages, as well as an also possible lack of experience with the (often specialized) subject matter, by merely having Trados, will produce better quality translations faster and cheaper than with any other CAT tool, or none.

The second group of outsourcers will often despise any offer from knowledgeable, experienced, and/or specialized translators not having Trados, even when the job is about a 300-word handwritten letter, or a script-less video for dubbing. They want to drive home the message that "Client is king!", and to live in their kingdom everybody must have bought Trados.

I know some colleagues that can "fake" Trados using WordFast, however all of these own both; they use WF out of personal preference.

Therefore you are left with the option of selling your work as a "competent translator" or a "Trados owner". As one does not preclude the other, many professionals fit both. Unfortunately there are a bit too many outsourcers who prefer the latter; of course, I don't serve any of these.

As mentioned here, you can run Windows on the Mac with Parallels. If you choose to cater to the Trados-demanding crowd, it is possible indeed.

[Edited at 2012-12-13 10:16 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job requirements: TRADOS exclude Wordfast ?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »