Thread poster: Isabella M
Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Post reviews, feedback and thumb up/down reviews Nov 29, 2012

It would be great if more people, and the readers/posters of this thread, would post reviews and also thumb up/down reviews on various software tools in the new Software comparison tool at http://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool

As with many ProZ.com services, the Software comparison tool will be significantly enhanced by community involvement and input. The more reviews, i
... See more
It would be great if more people, and the readers/posters of this thread, would post reviews and also thumb up/down reviews on various software tools in the new Software comparison tool at http://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool

As with many ProZ.com services, the Software comparison tool will be significantly enhanced by community involvement and input. The more reviews, input and "votes" by thumb up/down tools receive, the more valuable the feature will be for translators seeking advice and information. Especially translators new to the industry.

There are now over 25 CAT Tools listed, and virtually all have a free trial or demo - so as many have suggested here, the best is probably the one that best meets your particular needs.

Good luck - and thanks to all that provide reviews/feedback for the software comparison tool.

Drew
Collapse

Isabella M
Isabella M
Local time: 19:17
TOPIC STARTER
best translation software Nov 30, 2012

Huge Thank You to All !!!
All the best

Isabella M
Isabella M
TOPIC STARTER

Steven Segaert wrote:

... up to you to decide.

CAT tools these days pretty much all do the same. They allow you to extract the text from a document (and focus on the text alone without worrying about formatting), to create a translated text in the same formatting as the original, to re-use your previous works (via Translation Memories or TM's), and to make use of a terminology collection you build yourself or share with others (a TB or term base).

While some tools do certain aspects better than others, the biggest difference is in style and usability - I don't think there are huge differences anymore in what CAT tools can do or not.

So, the best thing to do is to download a few trial versions of CAT tools, put a document in it (you can try a few different types), and start translating. Some programmes were easy to work with, some frustrated me because I had to click ten times to get anything done. Some were just too expensive and some didn't have the functionalities I liked, or not in the right mix.

Basically, you need to find out what you are comfortable with. These things are tools, and they are supposed to make you work better. If you come across a tool that makes it a struggle for you, toss it aside and try the next one. And if you find one that just works for you, then you can read up and compare it with other brands before you buy a full version.

You really will be best served by trying out a few of these tools. Apart from helping you choose, it is also a good way to find out what these tools can do (and how well you are able to make them do it).

Thank you very much good advise

Isabella M
Isabella M
TOPIC STARTER

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I'm no big fan of SDL, but during the last few weeks I never regretted to update to 2011. No performance problem here, 4 GB on Win7 and often I have lots of software up and running.
If money is an issue you could look at DVX, looks like they are desperate to sell for 295 Euro the Pro version.
Transit seems to have lost much ground those few last years, and Across too. MemoQ is the favorite tool for many of us, but I have no experience with it. WFP used to be my favorite, but the editor in Studio is much better. Maybe wfp will catch up.

Thank you, it is something to think of

Isabella M
Isabella M
TOPIC STARTER

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Isabella X wrote:

Hi, which translation sftware would you say is the best one?
Thanks

The one that best fits within your working scenario(s). Try, try, try, think, think, think, compare, compare... and... buy.

thank you very much, in the end that actually might be better than any review

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 20:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hadn't though about Office Nov 30, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

Isabella X wrote:

The best one is Microsoft Word. It has the most comprehensive editing functions, and one of the few tools that provide macro functionality (I know OmegaT has it too, but the editing functions in OmegaT are a little bit less comprehensive than MS Word's).

I wasn't thinking of Word as a translation SW per se when I replied, but I suppose that if I had to choose I'd rather keep MS Word/Office and do without any specific CAT tools.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
That's indeed what I think Nov 30, 2012

Isabella M wrote:

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Isabella X wrote:

Thanks

The one that best fits within your working scenario(s). Try, try, try, think, think, think, compare, compare... and... buy.

thank you very much, in the end that actually might be better than any review

Hi Isabella,
that's indeed what I think. Each translator will have his/her own preference and the best way to find out about your own is testing as much as possible.

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
best translation software Dec 3, 2012

Isabella M wrote:

Hi, which translation software would you say is the best one?
Thanks

As it has been already said, there isn't such thing as the «best translation sofware».
The question should be: wich CAT tool suits best my needs? Although the information is outdated, I guess it is worth to visit Qabiria's comparing site to get a more sense comparison. Take a look at: http://qabiria.com/comparison.htm .

[Edited at 2012-12-03 17:11 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

best translation software

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »