Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Idiom WorldServer Desktop Workbench downloads dotnet to install while it is already installed
Thread poster: V S Rawat
V S Rawat
V S Rawat
India
Local time: 20:47
English to Hindi
+ ...
Oct 20, 2012

I tried to install Idiom WorldServer Desktop Workbench and it went ahead downloading entire huge dotnet package.

I have dotnet latest versions already installed on my pc (w7)

how to prevent idiom from this redundant activity wasting my bandwidth and time?

I mean can I put my dotnet installation files in the same folder as idiom install package, so it will not download afresh, or what?

Thanks.
--
Rawat

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:17
Finnish to French
Same situation with Studio/MultiTerm & Java Oct 21, 2012

The same occurs when you install Studio and/or MultiTerm: both include Java 6 Update 24, which will be installed even if you already have a newer version (the latest version of Java 6 as of this writing is Update 37). Well, the Java 6 distribution is only 16 MB, so it's only a tiny part of the total Studio download (330 MB). Installing it takes no longer than a couple of minutes, so it's not the end of the world. You can uninstall it via Control Panel afterwards if you have a newer version, and ... See more
The same occurs when you install Studio and/or MultiTerm: both include Java 6 Update 24, which will be installed even if you already have a newer version (the latest version of Java 6 as of this writing is Update 37). Well, the Java 6 distribution is only 16 MB, so it's only a tiny part of the total Studio download (330 MB). Installing it takes no longer than a couple of minutes, so it's not the end of the world. You can uninstall it via Control Panel afterwards if you have a newer version, and it is a good idea to do so, for security reasons.Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:17
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Disabling your internet? Oct 21, 2012

V S Rawat wrote:
I tried to install Idiom WorldServer Desktop Workbench and it went ahead downloading entire huge dotnet package.

Have you tried disabling your internet connection while you install it?

V S Rawat
V S Rawat
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
gives error while installing. Oct 21, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

The same occurs when you install Studio and/or MultiTerm: both include Java 6 Update 24, which will be installed even if you already have a newer version (the latest version of Java 6 as of this writing is Update 37). Well, the Java 6 distribution is only 16 MB, so it's only a tiny part of the total Studio download (330 MB). Installing it takes no longer than a couple of minutes, so it's not the end of the world. You can uninstall it via Control Panel afterwards if you have a newer version, and it is a good idea to do so, for security reasons.

Net 1.0 is not compatible with w7 so it will never install on w7 successfully.

Idiom downloads it and runs it, then net 1.0 installer takes control and gives message it is not compatible, so it aborts installation, and then idiom takes control back and checks for net 1.0 and doesn't find it installed, so gives an error that it is not there, and goes in loop to "download and install" retry/ cancel.

there is no ignore/ skip. we have to either remain again and again downloading net 1.0 which wouldn't install or we have to cancel the installation of idiom.

Thanks.

V S Rawat
V S Rawat
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
without internet, it doesn' proceed Oct 21, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

V S Rawat wrote:

Have you tried disabling your internet connection while you install it?

yes, once I disconnected internet and ran idiom installer.

It gave error that it can't install net 1.0 file from the link it showsn, and goes into retry/ cancel loop. It didn't proceed to install further.

thanks.
--

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:17
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Can't run it on Windows 7, AFAIK Oct 21, 2012

V S Rawat wrote:

Oh, wait, you're using Windows 7? So am I, and I have not been able to install Idiom on my Windows 7 either. I use VirtualBox with a Windows XP SP3 virtual box to run my Idiom on.

Samuel

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
System requirements: up to Vista Nov 5, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:
Oh, wait, you're using Windows 7? So am I, and I have not been able to install Idiom on my Windows 7 either.

I just downloaded Idiom WorldServer Desktop Workbench 9.0.1.60. The release notes PDF inside the ZIP state (under system requirements):

Supported operating systems:
Microsoft® Windows Vista®, all editions
Microsoft Windows XP, all editions
Microsoft Windows 2000 SP 4

Indeed, I tried to install it under both Windows 7 and Windows 8, and here is what I got:

The .exe (installer) inside the ZIP has a date stamp of 8-Feb-2010. For all practical purposes, it looks like Idiom WorldServer Desktop Workbench is abandonware. Since it is an SDL software, you should probably ask for confirmation on the SDL support forum.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
.NET 1.1, compatible with Windows 7 Nov 5, 2012

V S Rawat wrote:

Actually, the .NET version Idiom attempts to install is 1.1, and that is compatible with Windows 7 (so is 1.0, btw).

Here are the .NET versions installed on my Win7 laptop:

The problem is not with .NET compatibility, it is with the Idiom installer. I'm sure the actual Idiom program would work on Win7/Win8, if the installer was modified so as not to fail on the .NET part. Again, this is a question for SDL support.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Answer from SDL Nov 5, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
The .exe (installer) inside the ZIP has a date stamp of 8-Feb-2010. For all practical purposes, it looks like Idiom WorldServer Desktop Workbench is abandonware.

Here is the answer from Steven Barlow, Inside Sales Exécutive at SDL Language Technologies Division:

I can confirm that the version you are using is an older legacy version, so this will not run on modern operating systems like Windows 7 or 8.

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 18:17
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Install it in compatibility mode as Windows XP SP3 Jan 7, 2013

Sorry for jumping into the discussion so late but I thought chiming in for the sake of those who might find this discussion at some point in the future (though by then it will probably be even less relevant).
The solution for installing the tool and the associated .Net 1.1 package in Windows 7 and 8 is installing it in compatibility mode as Windows XP SP3.

Right click the installation file > Properties > Compatibility [Tab] > Check the "Run this program in compatibility mode"
... See more
Sorry for jumping into the discussion so late but I thought chiming in for the sake of those who might find this discussion at some point in the future (though by then it will probably be even less relevant).
The solution for installing the tool and the associated .Net 1.1 package in Windows 7 and 8 is installing it in compatibility mode as Windows XP SP3.

Right click the installation file > Properties > Compatibility [Tab] > Check the "Run this program in compatibility mode" check-box and choose "Windows XP (Service Pack 3) from the drop down list > Click OK to close all windows.

Then run the installation file as administrator (right clicking it and choosing that option) - just to be on the safe side - and the installation should start and complete, including the downloading and installation of the .Net 1.1 package, without any issues.

However, this solution doesn't necessarily prevent other incompatibility related issues that might arise while working with the tool on a project.
Collapse

Pieter Beens
Pieter Beens  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
There is a solution... Feb 15, 2014

The configuration of Windows 8 prevents to instal Idiom Desktop Workbench.
For me workarounds did not work out.
I found a solution though. You can read it at http://www.vertaalt.nu/blog/sdl-idiom-desktop-workbench-windows-8/

[Edited at 2014-08-11 06:27 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: The poster requested to provide a correct link.
Sayda Pineda
Sayda Pineda  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:17
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
It works for Windows 8.1 Oct 16, 2014

Shai Navé wrote:

Right click the installation file > Properties > Compatibility [Tab] > Check the "Run this program in compatibility mode" check-box and choose "Windows XP (Service Pack 3) from the drop down list > Click OK to close all windows.

[Edited at 2014-10-16 17:17 GMT]

Sayda Pineda
Sayda Pineda  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:17
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
Solution for Wilndows 8.1.It works. Oct 16, 2014

Shai Navé wrote:

Thank you for posting this Shai Navé. It worked for me.

Iryna Shtohrina
Iryna Shtohrina
Ukraine
Member (2009)
English to Russian
+ ...
How do you manage to install it on Windows 10? Feb 19, 2019

I applied this solution http://www.vertaalt.nu/blog/sdl-idiom-desktop-workbench-windows-8/ and installer compatibility setting and still get the error in the end saying "Failed to load resources from resource file. Please check your Setup".

Any ideas what else can be done? Thanks.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Idiom WorldServer Desktop Workbench downloads dotnet to install while it is already installed

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »