Cagou
Cagou
Australia
Local time: 03:54
English to French
+ ...
Jul 22, 2004

Hi all,

I write technical documentation for various machines. This documentation has to be translated into 10 to 15 languages.
Up to now, the original documents were in Word format.
We are now switching to FrameMaker XML but a lot of the translators we work with do not use it.
Is there a way I can "extract" the text to be translated from the XML files, get it translated and "recompile" it afterwards without destroying the tags and format (like it is done by locali
... See more
Hi all,

I write technical documentation for various machines. This documentation has to be translated into 10 to 15 languages.
We are now switching to FrameMaker XML but a lot of the translators we work with do not use it.
Is there a way I can "extract" the text to be translated from the XML files, get it translated and "recompile" it afterwards without destroying the tags and format (like it is done by localization software for dll files)?
Otherwise, what would be my best move on getting these XML files translated (other than hiring only XML proficient translators!)?

Thanks for your help on this

Catherine
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:54
German to Spanish
Framemaker MIF files Jul 22, 2004

Normally we use to work with "Mif" files (Framemaker/save as/mif) that can be translated with S-Tagger->Tageditor (TRADOS).

Or simply provide the translator with the XML files and the DTD settings, almost all CAT's programs can do it (Tageditor, DVX, SDLX, Catalyst, Passolo).

Regards

Toledo

Cagou wrote:

Hi all,

Is there a way I can "extract" the text to be translated from the XML files, get it translated and "recompile" it afterwards without destroying the tags and format (like it is done by localization software for dll files)?
Otherwise, what would be my best move on getting these XML files translated (other than hiring only XML proficient translators!)?

Thanks for your help on this

Catherine

[Edited at 2004-07-22 14:43]

[Edited at 2004-07-22 14:44]

[Edited at 2004-07-22 14:45]

Cagou
Cagou
Australia
Local time: 03:54
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Passolo ? Jul 23, 2004

Toledo wrote:
(...)
Or simply provide the translator with the XML files and the DTD settings, almost all CAT's programs can do it (Tageditor, DVX, SDLX, Catalyst, Passolo).

Thanks for your help Toledo.
Have you actually tried using Passolo for this kind of job ?
I use it already for software localization (and I like it) but I was told it was not meant for translating long text-based documents.

Catherine

PS : I'll be on holiday the next 2 weeks so I'll check answers when I'm back (silence does not mean i'm not interested)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best tool to translate FrameMaker XML documents

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »