CAT tools for translating text extracts?
Thread poster: Yelena.
Yelena.
Yelena.  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:30
English to Russian
+ ...
Jul 21, 2004

I am currently translating bits of a huge document with lots of repetitions. As my task is to translate highlighted text only I can not use CAT tools like Wordfast like I normally do. Does anyone know if that is at all possible? Maybe I am missing something...

Thanks!

Yelena

Jerónimo Fernández
Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
I can't see why you can't use your CAT tool Jul 21, 2004

Hi Yelena.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see why you can't use your CAT tool. If you need to translate just the highlighted bits, you can skip the non-highlighted text and translate the rest as usual.

Regards,
Jerónimo

Yelena.
Yelena.  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:30
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jerónimo Jul 21, 2004

Is it really possible to skip bits of text and then clean the document without any problem at the end? I am using Wordfast and need to research that. Your help would be appreciated.

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
2 alternative possibilities with Trados Jul 21, 2004

1. Use a macro

Open and translate the first TU. Then, instead of closing it normally, record a macro under a key combination (e.g. alt+z) performing the following: close TU (ctrl+alt+end), search for highlighted text, press once left arrow, open new TU (ctrl+alt+home). You might need to experiment a bit at first, but then you can proceed fast.

2.Search not highlighted & replace with 'Do not translate' style

You can try by using Word search & replace functio
... See more
1. Use a macro

Open and translate the first TU. Then, instead of closing it normally, record a macro under a key combination (e.g. alt+z) performing the following: close TU (ctrl+alt+end), search for highlighted text, press once left arrow, open new TU (ctrl+alt+home). You might need to experiment a bit at first, but then you can proceed fast.

2.Search not highlighted & replace with 'Do not translate' style

You can try by using Word search & replace functionality (always back up the original text first). Actually you cannot search "not highlighted" text. So you should probably first convert highlight text into, e.g., red or underlinded text (using an attribute that is not already present in your document). You can do this by leaving the replace field blank, and adding only the desired format on it.
Then use again search & replace, searching for all the black (or not undelined etc.) text. In the blank replace field add style format "do not translate" (it should be available if you have Trados). Finally after translation you have to reuse search and replace twice in order to restore the original formatting attributes.
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:30
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Two solutions in Wordfast Jul 21, 2004

Hi Yelena,

You have two solutions in Wordfast:

1. Applying an untranslatable style (like tw4winExternal) to all text that is not higlighted (Ctrl+H and select Format/Highlight twice in a row to search for Not Highlight.

2. Or select the next (highlighted) segment you want to translate and use ForceSegment (Shift+Alt+Down).

Regards,
Gerard

[Edited at 2004-07-21 10:01]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tools for translating text extracts?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »