https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/22853-cat_for_excel.html&phpv_redirected=1

CAT for Excel
Thread poster: marta.mg
marta.mg
marta.mg
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 13, 2004

Hi,

I am now working for a textile company and one my main task is the translation of garments' technical sheets, you know, description, colors, threads, seams, zips, etc.
It's all very technical, but very repetitive.
The technical sheets are desgined in Excell. They do not consist of just plain text columns: the columns have different dimensions and there are picture and text boxes.

I wondered if there's any CAT tool that I can use for this kind of files,
... See more
Hi,

I am now working for a textile company and one my main task is the translation of garments' technical sheets, you know, description, colors, threads, seams, zips, etc.
It's all very technical, but very repetitive.
The technical sheets are desgined in Excell. They do not consist of just plain text columns: the columns have different dimensions and there are picture and text boxes.

I wondered if there's any CAT tool that I can use for this kind of files, cause I have a lot to translate and I'm getting a little bit fed up of writing 'Outhershell' or '4 color embroidery' some 25 times a day...

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Marta
Collapse

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 05:37
German to English
+ ...
Trados Jul 13, 2004

Hello,

you can use Trados TagEditor or T-Window for Excel files

Hans

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use TRADOS Jul 13, 2004

With TAG Editor you can translate everything in Excel columns.
For text boxes use T-Window for Clipboard. What you need is then to select sentence by sentence and translate them one after another in T-Window by pressing CTRL+C. This works pretty good. More then, in this way you can translate particulary ANY format, in which you are able to select text and copy it to clipboard.

Regards
Jerzy

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Trados, DejaVu and SDLX Jul 13, 2004

AFAIK, all three major CAT tools are capable of processing XLS files directly. That's hear-say for SDLX and Trados and daily (well, almost) routine for DejaVu (which continues to be missing from the CAT Tools section!). Based on your description, I think you'll love working with a CAT.

As you will know, Trados on the one side and DVX and SDLX on the other side use different approaches. In DVX, you import the XLS file, do your stuff and export the translation.

[Edited at 200
... See more
AFAIK, all three major CAT tools are capable of processing XLS files directly. That's hear-say for SDLX and Trados and daily (well, almost) routine for DejaVu (which continues to be missing from the CAT Tools section!). Based on your description, I think you'll love working with a CAT.

As you will know, Trados on the one side and DVX and SDLX on the other side use different approaches. In DVX, you import the XLS file, do your stuff and export the translation.

[Edited at 2004-07-13 09:37]
Collapse

ncfialho (X)
ncfialho (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:37
German to Portuguese
+ ...
And last... Jul 13, 2004

but not least > Wordfast

Natália

Jörgen Slet
Jörgen Slet  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 06:37
English to Estonian
+ ...
Wordfast can do the text in columns Jul 13, 2004

Wordfast can do the text in columns (I have not used the feature myself), I suspect text boxes are more tricky. Activating each text box and then translating *may* work. I've even heard success stories translating Excel files embedded in Powerpoint slides (on Wordfast mailing list, 9 Dec 2003).

ncfialho (X)
ncfialho (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:37
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TEXT BOXES Jul 13, 2004

Then go for SLDX. I did a job some weeks ago and SDLX was the only software (dont know DejaVU) who extracted the text boxes.

Natália

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
OmegaT Jul 13, 2004

Try OmegaT. You have to convert Excel files to OOo and back again afterwards, but it works. Worth a try - it doesn't cost anything.

www.omegat.org

Marc

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT for Excel

Translation news related to CAT tools

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »