Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:40
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Jul 7, 2004

Hello colleagues,

I apologize beforehand, should this question have been asked a thousand times already. I tried to, but couldn't find it in the forums.

I have worked on a translation project in WORD. Now my client would like to have a TM. The CAT-Tool I am using is SDLX. So I went to the SDLX Align function, aligned the two texts and created a TM. But my client, who works with Trados, can't use this TM. He asked me for a TMX, or better, TXT file.

I tried a
... See more
Hello colleagues,

I apologize beforehand, should this question have been asked a thousand times already. I tried to, but couldn't find it in the forums.

I have worked on a translation project in WORD. Now my client would like to have a TM. The CAT-Tool I am using is SDLX. So I went to the SDLX Align function, aligned the two texts and created a TM. But my client, who works with Trados, can't use this TM. He asked me for a TMX, or better, TXT file.

I tried again with Maintain and Edit, but to no avail.

Any ideas what I could try next?

Thank you for your help.
Stefanie

PS: My client just told me that he can actually open the file in Notepad. I'm afraid that doesn't help him much. He still needs a TXT file.

[Edited at 2004-07-07 18:30]
Collapse

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
Very simple Jul 7, 2004

Sundari,

Create a new TM with the align files.

Open the TM with SDLX Maintain Application (not Access).

TM> Export> TRADOS> etc...

Geneviève;)

PS: You have also the option, Export TMX Format.

Stefanie Sendelbach
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I tried that Jul 7, 2004

Hello Geneviève,

Thank you for your reply.
Open the TM with SDLX Maintain Application (not Access).

TM> Export> TRADOS> etc...

I have tried your suggestion already (twice) and sent the result to the client. But he says he can only open my file in Notepad.

When I do as you suggest, SDLX gives me this warning:

The preferred method for exporting SDLX data to a format acceptable by Trados is the 'Export/File List to Trados...' function.

The 'File List to Trados...' function (in SDL Edit and Maintain) converts SDLX translation files (.itd) into text files which include the native file formatting.

Click on 'Next' to continue or 'Cancel' to exit the export wizard.

I am afraid I can't use this function because I didn't use SDLX for the translation and therefore don't have a .itd file. Am I right?

Your other suggestion gives me the same result: a file that is simply called File (not .txt or anything useful, simply file)
You have also the option, Export TMX Format.

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
TMX Jul 7, 2004

sundari wrote:

Your other suggestion gives me the same result: a file that is simply called File (not .txt or anything useful, simply file)

Is the file produced by the TMX export file actually a TMX file? This is quite easy to find out: simply open it in a text editor. it will look something like the example below. If it does, try renaming it with a TMX extension.

Marc

P.S. This doesn't work, sorry - ProZ (or my browser) "interprets" the sample TMX code I posted. Ah well...

Hier ist etwas Text

Here's some text

[Edited at 2004-07-09 11:18]

Stefanie Sendelbach
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No success in SDLX Maintain Jul 7, 2004

I have tried
Export - Trados
Export - File list to Trados...
Export - TMX Format

They all give me the same result: A file which is simply called file. Not useable with anything.

I have even tried
Export - SDL Translation File (.itd)

With this function I now have a SDL Edit Document. But still no TXT or TMX file.

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
IDT Jul 7, 2004

Stefanie,

You can save the idt.file for Trados:

File>Export>Trados>... there are four possibilities. You can try the four and send the resultats to your customer.

With mine, it's work perfectly;) and the TMs too.

Geneviève:)

Claudia Digel
Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
use the extension .txt Jul 7, 2004

sundari wrote:

They all give me the same result: A file which is simply called file. Not useable with anything.

Hi Stefanie,

I expect you just entered the name 'File' for the export file? Use 'File.txt' instead and you get a 'real' txt file with the correct extension. This file can be imported into Trados without any problem. I've just tried it and it works fine.

Regards,
Claudia

Stefanie Sendelbach
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are a genius! Jul 7, 2004

So simple...

Thanks a million, Claudia! It was the naming. Funny. I wish this worked for all files. Imagine, all you had to do was name the file according to what you want: .finaltranslation

Claudia Digel wrote:
I expect you just entered the name 'File' for the export file? Use 'File.txt' instead and you get a 'real' txt file with the correct extension.

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
They should import the txt into tmw Sep 17, 2004

I have tried your suggestion already (twice) and sent the result to the client. But he says he can only open my file in Notepad.

If your client has Trados Worbench, they can open Workbench, create a new, empty TM with the correct language settings and import the TXT file into it.

HTH

Piotr

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to create a Trados TM in SDLX?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »