Thread poster: Alexa Dubreuil
Alexa Dubreuil
Alexa Dubreuil  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:47
English to French
+ ...
Jun 30, 2004

I was having a look at the Wordfast page this morning and by looking at their "Comparison Chart between Wordfast and other CAT tools" (http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=compare&lang=engb) it seems that Wordfast is by far the best tool (obviously!).

Yet, so many clients request translators using Trados...

What do you think about all these C
... See more
I was having a look at the Wordfast page this morning and by looking at their "Comparison Chart between Wordfast and other CAT tools" (http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=compare&lang=engb) it seems that Wordfast is by far the best tool (obviously!).

What do you think about all these CAT tools?
Collapse

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 14:47
German to English
+ ...
The best is Jun 30, 2004

that tool, which you need for satisfy your clients.

Regards

Hans

Heras
Heras  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
Trados will become a standard Jun 30, 2004

Probably, Trados will become a standard in a short/middle term. Microsoft (which has a large participation in Trados capital) is a specialized firm in transforming its software in standard applications. Which word processor do you use? Word, of course. The same for Access, Excel,Powerpoint, etc.
You can hate Trados and adore Wordfast. But you'll use Trados and forget Wordfast. That's life ... and money.

Intergraf
Intergraf  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
You're the one who has to deal with the beastie, so check them out for yourself! Jun 30, 2004

First of all, there have been several discussions on this topic, so you might want to check the ProZ forum archives.

Hans/DSC wrote:

The best is...
that tool, which you need for satisfy your clients.

You're right, but only to a point, since there's more than one way to skin the Trados CAT.

Andrés Sareh wrote:

Probably, Trados will become a standard in a short/middle term. Microsoft (which has a large participation in Trados capital) is a specialized firm in transforming its software in standard applications. Which word processor do you use? Word, of course. The same for Access, Excel,Powerpoint, etc.
You can hate Trados and adore Wordfast. But you'll use Trados and forget Wordfast. That's life ... and money.

Many agencies and clients who demand the use of Trados would be very surprised to find out how many of their freelancers who do own Trados actually do the translation work in Déjà Vu or Wordfast. I imagine others use other CAT tools, as well.

My suggestion is to try out the different CAT tools, including Trados, and see which one YOU like best for your work type and work flow. Nobody can make that decision for you, because everyone has a different way of working and a different comfort level when it comes to computers and software.

If you happen to like Trados best, get that one.

If you happen to like another CAT tool best, make sure you check the mailing lists for threads about Trados compatibility and how you need to deal with Trados files in order to do the translation in your CAT tool of choice. (And NEVER lie to the client saying you have Trados when you don't! Tell the truth: that you can handle Trados files and return to them what they need in the format they need - if in fact you can do that with whatever tool you're using.)

As translators, we need to use tools we are comfortable with, and that help us instead of hindering us in our work.

Just about all the CAT tools have mailing lists in Yahoo Groups, so sign up for them and read the archives. You'll find much valuable information there that can help you in choosing the best tool for you.

Good luck!

T.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
choose the best Jun 30, 2004

Alexa Dubreuil wrote:

What do you think about all these CAT tools?
Hi! which tools you master already ? tell this to your client, that you work only with these. Secondly when you already master a tool, for which purpose do you need another one. Personally I suggest Fusion, you can download with full functionality for 90 days without purchasing it, and still earn, it is very good for document translations. But if you are seeking solutions to process other formats, there are many, tools. That tool is the best which you can master not even overnight, but immediately within a few hours. There are many experts for wordfast, offering local and remote advice, then you should turn to them. Trados is one of the oldest and beats also the most CATs, that is yet another truth. Now you should know.
Regards,
Brandis

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
to skin Trados ?? Jun 30, 2004

Intergraf wrote:

Many agencies and clients who demand the use of Trados would be very surprised to find out how many of their freelancers who do own Trados actually do the translation work in Déjà Vu or Wordfast. I imagine others use other CAT tools, as well.

T.

Hello

Maybe for some jobs you can work with Deja Vu or Wordfast and deliver Trados Memory, but the way is to work with Trados TagEditor and then you have to deliver bilingual ttx files. I believe that there is no other tool which can produce this ttx files.

Hans

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
Déjà Vu is! Jun 30, 2004

DSC wrote:

Intergraf wrote:

T.

Hello

Maybe for some jobs you can work with Deja Vu or Wordfast and deliver Trados Memory, but the way is to work with Trados TagEditor and then you have to deliver bilingual ttx files. I believe that there is no other tool which can produce this ttx files.

Hans
Gruss, Déjà Vu is not bad, but roumours have it that they are facing troubles continuing with the development. There is a huge yahoogroup for it. Additionally Déjà Vu doesn´t do dongle free, even during the testing phase. I do not know the address now though, just got back from a lot of sun.
Regards,
Brandis

[Edited at 2004-06-30 15:46]

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
SDLX Jun 30, 2004

DSC wrote:
I believe that there is no other tool which can produce this ttx files.

SDLX claims to be 100% Trados compatible:
http://www.sdl.com/products-home/products/sdlx/sdlx-trados-guarantee.htm

I haven't tried SDLX, though. And by the way, they offer a discount to Trados users. It's quite tempting for me to try other CAT tool than Trados, but I simply don't have time.

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
ttx files Jun 30, 2004

SDLX can manage this.

Geneviève:)

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Marketing gag Jun 30, 2004

Hynek Palatin wrote:

DSC wrote:
I believe that there is no other tool which can produce this ttx files.

SDLX claims to be 100% Trados compatible:
http://www.sdl.com/products-home/products/sdlx/sdlx-trados-guarantee.htm

I haven't tried SDLX, though. And by the way, they offer a discount to Trados users. It's quite tempting for me to try other CAT tool than Trados, but I simply don't have time.

I tried this function, but the results are not that good.
The source files were Word. I was able to translate SDLX-created ttx-files in TAG Editor, although not all tags are properly recognised... After completion of translation SDLX sometimes has trouble to import the file. So the 100% compatibility is not given IMO...

Comming back to the roots (ie to the question of this thread) - in my oppinion there is no BEST CAT tool, as this is the same, as the question, which is the best word processor - Word, Wordperfect or Open Office? As many oppinions on it, as many users answer this question. To find the answer one has to try some CAT tools to see, which one suits me best. In my case this is Trados.

Regards
Jerzy

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I would not be that sure Jun 30, 2004

Geneviève von Levetzow wrote:

SDLX can manage this.

Geneviève:)

Have you really tried this?
I mean saved as ttx and then processed in Trados and imported back again?

Regards
Jerzy

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
DVX trial version Jul 1, 2004

Brandis wrote:
Déjà Vu is not bad, but roumours have it that they are facing troubles continuing with the development.

Can you substantiate this claim, please? I would hate to see a decent company getting slandered.

Additionally Déjà Vu doesn´t do dongle free, even during the testing phase. I do not know the address now though, just got back from a lot of sun.

When I bought DVX, there was a 30 day trial version, not crippled in any way. (You have to send an e-mail for the registriation key, no dongle required).

[Edited at 2004-07-01 10:24]

Intergraf
Intergraf  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
Say what?? Jul 1, 2004

Brandis wrote:

Gruss, Déjà Vu is not bad, but roumours have it that they are facing troubles continuing with the development. There is a huge yahoogroup for it. Additionally Déjà Vu doesn´t do dongle free, even during the testing phase. I do not know the address now though, just got back from a lot of sun. [snip]
[Edited at 2004-06-30 15:46]

Excuse me? \"Additionally Déjà Vu doesn´t do dongle free, even during the testing phase\"??? Just how much sun did you get?

Déjà Vu has a fully working 30-day trial that requires no dongle, and, as far as I know, that\'s the way it\'s always been.

Now, about those \"roumours\" [sic] you say you\'ve heard - mind telling us a few more details, including how, where, and from whom you heard that?

T.

Alexa Dubreuil
Alexa Dubreuil  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:47
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
very interesting... thanks Jul 1, 2004

Hi everybody

I am happy to read about so many different opinions about CAT tools. It actually reflects what I thought: there is no real CAT tool that is better than another, it's more down to what the user feels more comfortable with and what the client prefers.

The reason why I was asking initially is precisely because I currently don't work with any CAT tool - I have only experienced Catscradle (no mocking!).

Why? simply because, despite my love of techno
... See more
Hi everybody

I am happy to read about so many different opinions about CAT tools. It actually reflects what I thought: there is no real CAT tool that is better than another, it's more down to what the user feels more comfortable with and what the client prefers.

The reason why I was asking initially is precisely because I currently don't work with any CAT tool - I have only experienced Catscradle (no mocking!).

Why? simply because, despite my love of technology and computers, I simply didn't believe in the use of CAT tools, and was more inclined to do my translations myself (using my own memory!)... more reliable and genuine in my opinion (please don't stat throwing stones at me for that comment!).

Yet, I gradually realised that there is a large number of jobs posted on this very site that require the use of such tools so I thought that it was time for me to learn one of them and remain competitive.

Obviously I was going to start learning Trados (as it's the one clients seem to ask for most of the time) but I was told it takes quite long to get to use it efficiently. So before getting involved in the whole learning process I was simply wondering if Trados was really that worth - particularly in terms of being able to support a variety of file formats.

After reading all what you had to say I think I am going to try and learn Trados and if I don't feel comfortable I might give a try to that Wordfast trial version.

Thanks to all for your comments.

Alexa
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Using a CAT tool Jul 1, 2004

Alexa Dubreuil wrote:
Why? simply because, despite my love of technology and computers, I simply didn't believe in the use of CAT tools, and was more inclined to do my translations myself (using my own memory!)... more reliable and genuine in my opinion (please don't stat throwing stones at me for that comment!).

I see in your profile that you offer IT translations. Believe me, as soon as you start using a CAT tool and get used to it, you will never want to go back to the "pre-CAT" times.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tools: what is the best one?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »