Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Why is Deja Vu ignored in Proz.com? (Site announcement: New DV support forum)
Thread poster: Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 03:04
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Jun 23, 2004

In the CAT Tools forum we can still read this:

"...The CAT center is undergoing an update. In the meantime, we will maintain a list of our member's favorite tools."

Deja Vu is certainly one of the "most favorite" and one of the best, if not absolutely the best, CAT tools around. Why is it being completely ignored by Proz.com? Why much less powerful tools such as MetaTexis, Omega and Wordfast, just to list a few, are mentioned instead?

I think this "gap" is
... See more

"...The CAT center is undergoing an update. In the meantime, we will maintain a list of our member's favorite tools."

Deja Vu is certainly one of the "most favorite" and one of the best, if not absolutely the best, CAT tools around. Why is it being completely ignored by Proz.com? Why much less powerful tools such as MetaTexis, Omega and Wordfast, just to list a few, are mentioned instead?

I think this "gap" is not fair, nor it does any good to Proz.com visitors.

Mario Cerutti

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-03-31 20:37]
Collapse

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:04
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yes. Why? Jun 23, 2004

I think Deja Vu is worth of our attention.

Mario Cerutti wrote:

I think this "gap" is not fair, nor it does any good to Proz.com visitors.

Mario Cerutti

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Deja Vu Jun 23, 2004

Hi --

What's stopping you from talking about Deja Vu?

Wordfast is more talked about because more people have it. The fact that it's about a tenth of the price of Deja Vu may be a factor.

I'm sure lots of people would like to know why you think it's worth paying so much more for a CAT tool.

Best,
Esther

Mario Cerutti
Japan
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's definitely worth paying Jun 23, 2004

Esther Pfeffer wrote:

Hi --

What\'s stopping you from talking about Deja Vu?

Wordfast is more talked about because more people have it. The fact that it\'s about a tenth of the price of Deja Vu may be a factor.

I\'m sure lots of people would like to know why you think it\'s worth paying so much more for a CAT tool.

Best,
Esther

Just for your information, in the CAT Tool section of this site there used to be a competitive technical analysis for all these products. Deja Vu was ranking first by free \"voting\". It\'s not me me that need or want to talk about Deja Vu: I simply asked why the CAT Tool section is not talking anymore about what is considered to be the best software available in its field.

Your statement about prices is irrilevant, for if judgement should be made on the purchase price, than someone should explain why Trados is in the list. Besides I am not saying that Wordfast is not a good software and should not deserve its popularity, but please do not compare apples with pears.

Mario Cerutti

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:34
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
You can send in a request to include Deja Vu as well Jun 23, 2004

That's what the CAT forum says. There seems to be an online request form for the purpose. I don't think there is any concious attempt to ignore any one tool. Do request for the inclusion of the CAT tool in question and see. And try to get more of your friends join you in the attempt.

This seems to be question of only a crying baby getting fed, as the Tamil saying maintains!

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:04
English to German
+ ...
I can't see any apples or pears here! Jun 23, 2004

Mario Cerutti wrote:

Besides I am not saying that Wordfast is not a good software and should not deserve its popularity, but please do not compare apples with pears.

I don't think Esther was trying to do that. What she was trying to say is that there are probably a lot more people around who use Wordfast or Trados. That does not imply that Wordfast or Trados in itself are any better than DV, it's just the simple fact that more people here on Proz are using these tools. I am sure that a lot of DV users have realized that and have simply decided to talk about their tool somewhere else which I think is a pity.

Sonja

[Edited at 2004-06-23 10:38]

Mario Cerutti
Japan
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I insist Jun 23, 2004

I am sure that a lot of DV users have realized that and have simply decided to talk about their tool somewhere else which I think is a pity.

Sonja

[Edited at 2004-06-23 10:38]

Again, it is not matter of whether people decided to talk more about T or W than Deja Vu. If I am not wrong, the CAT Tool topic in Proz.com was intended to provide neutral information on the available software as a means to help translators finding the right solution for them, and therefore it is unfair just to forget about one that is considered the best around.

Besides, it is unreasonable to say that Deja Vu is not widely used by Proz.com members. Certainly it is more than Omega, MetaTexis or SDL, just to mention a few, and in any case let me remind you that Deja Vu was voted the best one by the very Proz.com members. Is there a special reason why it is being forgotten now?

Finally, the fact that many people use Proz.com for help about other CAT tools probably means that they cannot find it where they should.

Mario Cerutti

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
omission Jun 23, 2004

Mario,

This is probably due to an innocent omission on the part of staff and not some deliberate intent to ignore DV. I'm a passionate DV user (use it for almost all my projects that involve editable files) so I too was surprised. Why don't you send a support request to have it included? I too will do the same.

Marcus

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
DV should get more coverage Jun 23, 2004

I am sure that a lot of DV users have realized that and have simply decided to talk about their tool somewhere else which I think is a pity.

Sonja

I\'m not familiar with the corresponding Trados discussion group, but the DV mailing list on Yahoo (plus two newsgroups) seems to be quite efficient.

Again, it is not matter of whether people decided to talk more about T or W than Deja Vu.

Mario Cerutti

I tend to think that \"we\" have less errors to discuss, but this statement would be biased. The jury is asked to ignore this statement

Anyhow, I share your view that this site is a little heavy on the Trados side.

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:04
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
DV presence in ProZ.com Jun 23, 2004

Dear DejaVu fans

Deja Vu is an excellent tool, and many ProZ.com members love it. In the previous CAT center, Deja Vu featured very high in ratings by members.

Perhaps we could have a technical support forum and see more space dedicated to this valid product.

Thank you for your interest
Gianfranco
(also a DV user)

[Edited at 2005-04-09 15:38]

Klaus Herrmann
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Why not inlcude DejaVu in the list for the time being? Jul 1, 2004

Gianfranco Manca wrote:
We are currently talking to Atril about including DVX in the CAT center, perhaps have a technical support forum, etc. and hopefully we will see more space dedicated to this valid product.

Nice to see more coverage is coming up, but why is DejaVu missing from the list as if it wouldn't exist?

Amy Taylor
Amy Taylor  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:04
Italian to English
Mario is right - Why was DejaVu removed? Jul 6, 2004

Klaus Herrmann wrote:

Gianfranco Manca wrote:
We are currently talking to Atril about including DVX in the CAT center, perhaps have a technical support forum, etc. and hopefully we will see more space dedicated to this valid product.

Nice to see more coverage is coming up, but why is DejaVu missing from the list as if it wouldn't exist?

The CAT Tool section *used* to include DV. I recently asked a moderator (was that you, Gianfranco?) about this omission. Just curious - why do you need to talk to Atril about including DV? The Trados page is very simple, not what I'd expect the Trados people to put together, but rather what ProZ.com site staff prepared. Am I wrong?

Amy

Klaus Herrmann
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Respect for colleagues Jul 13, 2004

Gianfranco Manca wrote:
Actually, we prefer, as a matter of respect for their work, to have the software producers to provide a description for their products.

Then why don't you simply put up a link to Atril, or ask them for permission to include their intro page on the CAT tool list? As much as I appreciate your (ProZ') respect for the producer, I also think that a great site such as ProZ should give an unbiased overview of the existing tools. I think that's also a matter of respect for the many colleagues who invested in this particular CAT.

[Edited at 2004-07-13 10:13]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why is Deja Vu ignored in Proz.com? (Site announcement: New DV support forum)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »