Thread poster: Federica Jean
Federica Jean
Federica Jean  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:12
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 12, 2002

Hello everybody,

I must e-mail a file in QuarkXPress 4.0 from my Windows 98 platform to a Macintosh (type unknown). Since the client could not read it when I tried to send it in several compressed versions (all the StuffIt options), I also sent it without compressing it at all , but they still claim it does not work.

I should add that the file was originally e-mailed by them to me. I decompressed it, translated it and saved it with another name (from XXX
... See more
Hello everybody,

I must e-mail a file in QuarkXPress 4.0 from my Windows 98 platform to a Macintosh (type unknown). Since the client could not read it when I tried to send it in several compressed versions (all the StuffIt options), I also sent it without compressing it at all , but they still claim it does not work.

I should add that the file was originally e-mailed by them to me. I decompressed it, translated it and saved it with another name (from XXX.qxd to XXXitalian.qxd).

Is there a \"save as\" option somewhere in QuarkXPress which I missed? Or is there something they should do and are not doing?

I am at loss about what to try now , and would really, really appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance!

Federica

Collapse

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
At which stage does the problem occur? Apr 14, 2002

Hi Federica,

ask you client at which stage the problem occurs (i.e. does Quark recognize the file, does he get an error message about missing extensions, etc.).

We de do this kind of transfer all the time (working with Quark on a PC and sending the files to the client who works on a Mac). There are some minor font problems, (some fonts need to be re-assigned), but there are no problems in opening the files at all. Check with your client if Quark recogn
... See more
Hi Federica,

ask you client at which stage the problem occurs (i.e. does Quark recognize the file, does he get an error message about missing extensions, etc.).

We de do this kind of transfer all the time (working with Quark on a PC and sending the files to the client who works on a Mac). There are some minor font problems, (some fonts need to be re-assigned), but there are no problems in opening the files at all. Check with your client if Quark recognizes the files you sent as being Quark files. If so, ask what error message he gets from Quark.

Feel free to email me if you have further questions.
Collapse

Federica Jean
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Klaus Apr 14, 2002

You are very kind indeed!

As you probably surmised, I am not very experienced either in Quark or in cross-platform file transfers, and my client has never exchanged Quark files with a PC user, either. I have been deep in online and off-line manuals for over a week to overcome a series of minor problems, and I can\'t say how grateful I am for the lifeline you are throwing to me.

I will try to get the client to be more specific about the problem, now that
... See more
You are very kind indeed!

As you probably surmised, I am not very experienced either in Quark or in cross-platform file transfers, and my client has never exchanged Quark files with a PC user, either. I have been deep in online and off-line manuals for over a week to overcome a series of minor problems, and I can\'t say how grateful I am for the lifeline you are throwing to me.

I will try to get the client to be more specific about the problem, now that I know what I should ask. And I will gladly accept your generous offer if I still cannot understand what the snag is.

Federica
Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
check the QXP versions at both ends Apr 15, 2002

Apart from the font or link related problems mentioned by Klaus (in which case, the clien can open the file but gets a message about missing fonts or missing links), there could be a problem if you work with a different version from the client\'s.

Cross-platform compatibility is usually limited to the same version used in both platforms, or from a lower version to a higher one, but not vice-versa. What version do you use, and what version does the client use?

... See more
Apart from the font or link related problems mentioned by Klaus (in which case, the clien can open the file but gets a message about missing fonts or missing links), there could be a problem if you work with a different version from the client\'s.

Cross-platform compatibility is usually limited to the same version used in both platforms, or from a lower version to a higher one, but not vice-versa. What version do you use, and what version does the client use?

Another problem could be due to the use of the Passport version of QXP (the one that allows you to apply different hyphenation/spellcheck dictionaries to the text): QXP Passport can open \"normal\" QXP files, but not the other way round, unless the files have been saved with a specific option. Did you use QXP Passport?

Special characters in filenames can sometimes cause problems across platforms; I don\'t think - is usually a problem, but try replacing it by an underscore character (_).

That\'s all for now, if anything else comes to mind I\'ll let you know...

Roberta

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-15 07:09 ]
Collapse

Federica Jean
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Roberta Apr 15, 2002

also for taking the time to answer both my postings (I am afraid I panicked and posted the issue almost everywhere ).

The snag has been largely solved (it may well have been a file-naming problem). Now, at least, the client can open the uncompressed version - whew!

As a fairly recent ProZ member, I would like to say that I am really impressed by the helpful and supportive attitude one finds here. I am s
... See more
also for taking the time to answer both my postings (I am afraid I panicked and posted the issue almost everywhere ).

The snag has been largely solved (it may well have been a file-naming problem). Now, at least, the client can open the uncompressed version - whew!

As a fairly recent ProZ member, I would like to say that I am really impressed by the helpful and supportive attitude one finds here. I am so glad I found you all!

Thank you a lot

Federica

Collapse

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Good advice, Roberta! Apr 16, 2002

Thanks for pointing that out. Of course the file names and file extensions are the first points to check. I guess it was just too obvious, so I forgot to mention it.

But nice to read the problem got solved, eventually.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sending QuarkXPress 4.0 files from a Windows platform to a Mac

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »