Does anyone know of a CAT tool that actually works?
Thread poster: Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:09
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Jun 12, 2004

I am looking for a CAT tool that I can invest in that will be possible to open, operate and use to build up a terminology database. Alas, I cannot find one.

I have so far tried Metatexis (which cannot be incorporated into my Word programme) and Fusion (which will not open), as well as downloaded Wordfast, which cannot be installed due to some Macro problem. Finally, I wanted to participate in the Trados group buy, but did not dare to, because it seems a lot of money to risk if it
... See more
I am looking for a CAT tool that I can invest in that will be possible to open, operate and use to build up a terminology database. Alas, I cannot find one.

I have so far tried Metatexis (which cannot be incorporated into my Word programme) and Fusion (which will not open), as well as downloaded Wordfast, which cannot be installed due to some Macro problem. Finally, I wanted to participate in the Trados group buy, but did not dare to, because it seems a lot of money to risk if it chooses not to open or not to work.

Does anyone know of a solution, i.e. a CAT tool that will open and operate, and that can be tested on these two points prior to payment? Any tips gratefully received, as I desperately want to buy a CAT tool.

Astrid
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
various Jun 12, 2004

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

I have so far tried Metatexis (which cannot be incorporated into my Word programme) and Fusion (which will not open), as well as downloaded Wordfast, which cannot be installed due to some Macro problem. Finally, I wanted to participate in the Trados group buy, but did not dare to, because it seems a lot of money to risk if it chooses not to open or not to work.

Does anyone know of a solution, i.e. a CAT tool that will open and operate, and that can be tested on these two points prior to payment? Any tips gratefully received, as I desperately want to buy a CAT tool.

Astrid
Hi! I work with various CAT-Tools, Trados, Fusion all are very good, fusion is very good especially in document translation area. Lately I have started with Transit Satellite PE version, also equally exciting. If you know what you want to do with a CAT-Tool, you´d choose accordingly, as all have their pro and contra supporting arguments. But may be you need a system upgradation!!
brandis

[Edited at 2004-06-12 13:47]

Sarah Downing
Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:09
German to English
+ ...
I had the same problem with Wordfast Jun 12, 2004

Although I was able to install Wordfast, as soon as I pressed any of the button in Word, my Word crashed.

Has anyone got any idea why?

TIA
Sarah

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
SDLX or DV Jun 12, 2004

Atrid,

You can test the both CATs 4 weeks - with support.

And both work not with Word's macros.

Geneviève:)

Hermann Bruns
Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
English to German
Rename the file "Normal.dot" and try again Jun 12, 2004

Hello Astrid,

that both Wordfast and MetaTexis do not run let's me conclude that something is wrong with the MS Word environment. Especially, in some cases the "Normal.dot" can be corrupt.

Please try the following to fix this:

1) Uninstall MetaTexis/Wordfast
2) Close all Word windows.
3) Look for the file "Normal.dot" (usuall on drive C:) and rename it to "Normal.dot OLD"
4) Re-install MetaTexis/Wordfast
5) Re-launch Word

... See more
Hello Astrid,

that both Wordfast and MetaTexis do not run let's me conclude that something is wrong with the MS Word environment. Especially, in some cases the "Normal.dot" can be corrupt.

Please try the following to fix this:

1) Uninstall MetaTexis/Wordfast
2) Close all Word windows.
3) Look for the file "Normal.dot" (usuall on drive C:) and rename it to "Normal.dot OLD"
4) Re-install MetaTexis/Wordfast
5) Re-launch Word

This is also described in the MetaTexis FAQ available at www.metatexis.com/support.htm. In this file you als find more about installation problems.

Best regards
Hermann
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Jun 12, 2004

Thank you Hermann,

It was a problem with Microsoft Word. I have finally fixed it now, and Metatexis is installed in my Word programme and working.

Astrid

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:09
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Do not save your macros in Normal.dot Jun 13, 2004

One more advice: create another .dot-file for recording macros or defining shortcuts. Then you won't lose them every time Word does something stupid with Normal.dot.
Or keep a backup of a healthy Normal.dot somewhere else, so that you can replace the corrupted file and keep your settings.
Normal.dot is often corrupted when the system crashes for some reason.
Enjoy your new CAT-tools and remember to register with the corresponding mail-lists in order to get specific advice, whi
... See more
One more advice: create another .dot-file for recording macros or defining shortcuts. Then you won't lose them every time Word does something stupid with Normal.dot.
Or keep a backup of a healthy Normal.dot somewhere else, so that you can replace the corrupted file and keep your settings.
Normal.dot is often corrupted when the system crashes for some reason.
Enjoy your new CAT-tools and remember to register with the corresponding mail-lists in order to get specific advice, which you will need, no matter what tool you use.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does anyone know of a CAT tool that actually works?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »