Thread poster: Sol
Sol
Sol  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 8, 2004

This is not CAT specific, since I have the TM in both, Wordfast and Trados formats.

My problem is I need to update this TM with the information I have in an Excel file. This glossary file contains 4 columns:

source language term
changes (for those source language terms that were changed)
target language text (those might have been updated since the TM was last used)
target changes (these are the translations of the "changed" terms)

Can T
... See more
This is not CAT specific, since I have the TM in both, Wordfast and Trados formats.

My problem is I need to update this TM with the information I have in an Excel file. This glossary file contains 4 columns:

source language term
changes (for those source language terms that were changed)
target language text (those might have been updated since the TM was last used)
target changes (these are the translations of the "changed" terms)

Can Trados or WordFast handle the update or do I need to program some macros?

Could it be easier to translate the files with the existing TM and then update the target files with Trados or WordFast? Can they handle that?

Help please!
Collapse

consuelo buitrago
consuelo buitrago
English to Spanish
+ ...
Convert your excel file to a text file.... May 14, 2004

Trados comes with many manuals that explain in great detail how to use all its different features. Check the MultiTerm User Guide: it explains the text format needed in order to import a glossary into MultiTerm. The format looks like this:
book
libro
General
table
mesa
General
etc...
Using Excel you could add the items by inserting a column, and then you could export it to MSWord, make other changes, and save it as a tex
... See more
Trados comes with many manuals that explain in great detail how to use all its different features. Check the MultiTerm User Guide: it explains the text format needed in order to import a glossary into MultiTerm. The format looks like this:
book
libro
General
table
mesa
General
etc...
Using Excel you could add the items by inserting a column, and then you could export it to MSWord, make other changes, and save it as a text file.

If you have a glossary that is worth saving in your MultiTerm, then the time to convert it to a text file that can be imported into your MultiTerm is worth the time you'll spend doing it.
Good luck!
Collapse

Sol
Sol  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank-you for answering, but May 14, 2004

My question was not about adding anything to MultiTerm. It is about UPDATING a TRANSLATION MEMORY with NEW INFORMATION. Say, for example that in a big TM a certain function is called "old function", and now my client is calling it "New Function". In the translation memory you would have references to that term, for example a source text line that reads "The Old Function is activated by pressing X." And a target text "La Función Antigua se activa pulsando X". So I need "something" that repl... See more
My question was not about adding anything to MultiTerm. It is about UPDATING a TRANSLATION MEMORY with NEW INFORMATION. Say, for example that in a big TM a certain function is called "old function", and now my client is calling it "New Function". In the translation memory you would have references to that term, for example a source text line that reads "The Old Function is activated by pressing X." And a target text "La Función Antigua se activa pulsando X". So I need "something" that replaces all instances of "Old Function" with "New Function" and all instances of "Función Antigua" with "Función Nueva". I have a whole list of this changes, which happen to be in an Excel file and I was looking for an EASY way to do it, other than exporting the TM, an programing macros, to accomplish this. It is NOT that I couldn't, it would be quite simple for a programmer like me (yes, I am a programmer), but I just don't have the time right now, and I don't see the need of reinventing the wheel if there is already a provision for it in either Trados or WordFast.

By the way telling someone to go read the manuals when they ask a simple question you could answer very quickly if you knew the answer is a little insulting.

But thank-you for taking to time to answer anyway.

cbuitrago wrote:

book
libro
General
table
mesa
General
etc...
Using Excel you could add the items by inserting a column, and then you could export it to MSWord, make other changes, and save it as a text file.

If you have a glossary that is worth saving in your MultiTerm, then the time to convert it to a text file that can be imported into your MultiTerm is worth the time you'll spend doing it.
Good luck!
Collapse

consuelo buitrago
consuelo buitrago
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sorry, only meant to help May 14, 2004

Sorry, I didn't mean to insult anyone, thought I was just helping. I personally find the Trados Manuals extremely long to read, however valuable they are, and I confess, I haven't read them all because I don't have the time. So I do understand someone not knowing the answer can be found in the manual.
Had I meant to insult you, I wouldn't have offered to do the research and, if necessary, help you personally to do the job as a favour for a fellow translator.
I'll be more careful wit
... See more
Sorry, I didn't mean to insult anyone, thought I was just helping. I personally find the Trados Manuals extremely long to read, however valuable they are, and I confess, I haven't read them all because I don't have the time. So I do understand someone not knowing the answer can be found in the manual.
Had I meant to insult you, I wouldn't have offered to do the research and, if necessary, help you personally to do the job as a favour for a fellow translator.
I'll be more careful with future posts.
Consuelo
Collapse

Sol
Sol  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I didn't mean it was on purpose May 14, 2004

thanx for trying to help, really... and don't mind me, I've been working long and hard and I guess I am a little edgy.

Friends?

consuelo buitrago
consuelo buitrago
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sorry again..... May 14, 2004

I did offer to help someone with a MultiTerm import problem, but it wasn't you (however, I am willing to help you too).

I offered to help in the
Technical Forum> Trados support

Sorry for not posting correct url's, I am new to Proz, and haven't learned all the ropes.

consuelo buitrago
consuelo buitrago
English to Spanish
+ ...
oops! May 14, 2004

I offered to help someone else with a similar problem; it was not you, but you are welcome, if I can help, I will.

I am new to Proz, been here only a week, so I don't know how to post correct url's...

buat for the record, I would like to say that my offer to help this other person with importing a glossary was placed in

Teachanoical forum>Trados support

(just so you know I didn't make this up, and again, so sorry, I thought forums where contri
... See more
I offered to help someone else with a similar problem; it was not you, but you are welcome, if I can help, I will.

I am new to Proz, been here only a week, so I don't know how to post correct url's...

buat for the record, I would like to say that my offer to help this other person with importing a glossary was placed in

Teachanoical forum>Trados support

(just so you know I didn't make this up, and again, so sorry, I thought forums where contributions, not confrontations.
Collapse

Sol
Sol  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But it is not a similar problem! May 15, 2004

cbuitrago wrote:

My problem has NOTHING to do with MultiTerm!

I will see if we can get this thread deleted. This is totally ridiculous.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

updating TM with glossary file

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »