ÇAĞDAŞ MANDALI  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 08:09
English to Turkish
+ ...
Aug 8, 2011

Hi all,

First, the problems I have been enjoying:

I currently have a client who insists on working on a new and beta online CAT tool called "Crowdin". The website is: http://www.crowdin.net

The client is a reliable agency and did not send me a wordcount - since they also did not receive from the end client and said it was a project of only 3K.

I started working
... See more
Hi all,

First, the problems I have been enjoying:

I currently have a client who insists on working on a new and beta online CAT tool called "Crowdin". The website is: http://www.crowdin.net

The client is a reliable agency and did not send me a wordcount - since they also did not receive from the end client and said it was a project of only 3K.

I started working on the project - a huge pile of files consisting of 5-10-15 strings. A bit later, I noted that fuzzy matches and repetitions were not inserted automatically. I told the client about it, they also could not find a solution and we sent a support request to Crowdin, to receive no answer, so we were on our own.

We kept on the project and a bit more later, I noticed this project could be larger than 3K. I took the calculator and summed up the string count, equaling to 4500+ strings (not words). We asked the end client about it which was answered with another question: what is the wordcount you see? That was not shown to translators on the tool, indeed, I guess, not shown to anyone.

We saw that the Polish translator had almost completed the project on the same tool. We contacted her for information about how she could access the TM and how she could check the wordcount. We received another question: "I dont know the wordcount but anyway we can deal with the client later. How about repetitions and fuzzy matches? I have been writing everything manually for three days and Im fed up with it"

So, a CAT Tool we know nothing about, without any answer to support requests and a project with an unknown wordcount.

And the question: is there any experienced translator having worked on this tool before, to assist us in dealing with this mass?
Collapse

Re: features and use of crowdin Sep 5, 2011

Hi,

Sorry to hear that Crowdin.net is confusing for you. Hope some clarification is still actual.

So, in order to get the picture about real project size if you are translator or to see your activity in some certain project you have to be member of the project. (if project at Crowdin is private you need to be invited, if project is public - you have to join some of the language groups manually).

Suppose you're project member. No matter what is your project
... See more
Hi,

Sorry to hear that Crowdin.net is confusing for you. Hope some clarification is still actual.

So, in order to get the picture about real project size if you are translator or to see your activity in some certain project you have to be member of the project. (if project at Crowdin is private you need to be invited, if project is public - you have to join some of the language groups manually).

Suppose you're project member. No matter what is your project role (translator or proofreader) you can see your activity and get an idea about translation volumes that still needs to be done. In order to do so navigate your browser to your Crowdin profile page.
On the left menu find the "Translations" item and click there. If you are logged in you will see the list of projects you take part in. Right to the each project there are button "Reports". There all the information you was asking about.

Please do not hesitate to contact us http://crowdin.net/page/contacts if you have any other questions.

Have a nice day.
Collapse

Web-lingo
Web-lingo
South Africa
Local time: 07:09
English to Tsonga
+ ...
How to translate duplicates in Crowdin Nov 12, 2015

In case if there are many duplicated strings I suggest to enable automatic translation of duplicates in the project settings, so only one instance will be shown for translation, and another would be hidden. The translators won't translate the same string twice. Translations from "original" visible strings would be shared between hidden duplicates. To enable this feature, please enter the project settings -> switch to "General" tab -> set "Duplicate strings" option to "Hide".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

features and use of crowdin

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »