Windows Search does not turn up Normal.dot (from MetaTexis)
Thread poster: GAK (X)
GAK (X)
GAK (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:44
English to German
+ ...
Feb 21, 2004

Hello,

I have problems working with Metatexis and received the answer from the Metatexis Support that the Normal.dot might be the problem and that I should rename it. So I started to search for it with the search function, but the answer was: no results.

Can anyone tell what to do now? Do I have to install Windows XP again (I hope not...).

Thanks in advance.

Greetings
Anett Kiefer

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Normal.dot Feb 21, 2004

is a Word file and NOT a file of Windows XP. It is a hidden file, so if you want to see it, you have to change your search options in Windows XP => Start | Search | Files and Folders | Advanced | Search system and hidden files.
The names may slight vary, as I'm using Polish version of Windows XP.
In this way you are able to check if normal.dot still exists.
As for your troubles with Word - insert the install CD in your CD-ROM drive and choose one of the options: "Repair" or "Re
... See more
is a Word file and NOT a file of Windows XP. It is a hidden file, so if you want to see it, you have to change your search options in Windows XP => Start | Search | Files and Folders | Advanced | Search system and hidden files.
The names may slight vary, as I'm using Polish version of Windows XP.
In this way you are able to check if normal.dot still exists.
As for your troubles with Word - insert the install CD in your CD-ROM drive and choose one of the options: "Repair" or "Restore the previous install"
Good luck
Andrzej
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
There must be a Normal.dot on your system Feb 21, 2004

You do not need to install Windows XP again, as it has nothing in common with Word style sheets - Normal.dot belongs only to Word.

I assume you are using German OS and Office.
In English version the way is the same, only the names differ.
Press "Start", point to "Systemsteuerung" and select "Ordneroptionen".
Select "Ansicht".
Be sure, that following settings are deselected (checkbox is not ticked):
- Erweiterungen bei bekannten Dateitypen ausblenden
... See more
You do not need to install Windows XP again, as it has nothing in common with Word style sheets - Normal.dot belongs only to Word.

I assume you are using German OS and Office.
In English version the way is the same, only the names differ.
Press "Start", point to "Systemsteuerung" and select "Ordneroptionen".
Select "Ansicht".
Be sure, that following settings are deselected (checkbox is not ticked):
- Erweiterungen bei bekannten Dateitypen ausblenden
- Geschützte Systemdateien ausblenden.

Start Windows Explorer.
Go to C:\\Dokumente und Einstellungen\\USERNAME\\Anwendungsdaten\\Microsoft\\Vorlagen - there you will find a Normal.dot
Rename it as the support asked you to do.

If you have any further questions or troubles, you can contact me via my profile or call me on the phone (this way it is easier to explain things, as I could speak to you in German).

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Andrzej Lejman
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Normal.dot Feb 21, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Rename it as the support asked you to do.

Jerzy

I have been using MetaTexis for a while, but as far as I can remember, there is no need to rename normal.dot. Renaming normal.dot is simply the way to force Word to create a new normal.dot.
But for an unexperienced user the "repair/reinstall" option is a better solution, IMHO.
By the way: even an older, still free version of Wordfast is far better than MetaTexis. Just try.
Best regards
Andrzej

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Never heard about corrupted Normal.dot? Feb 21, 2004

There is usually no need to reinstall/repair Word installation.
Normal.dot is getting corrupted ie due to customer files, damaging the structure of the Normal.dot.
Therefore I do not let Word automatically save it, but have checked the box for asking to save Normal.dot. If I did not modify it, I do not save any changes.
But nevertheless, renaming it allows you to restore your personal settings afterwards. If you reinstall/repair Word, the Normal.dot will be replaced by a new on
... See more
There is usually no need to reinstall/repair Word installation.
Normal.dot is getting corrupted ie due to customer files, damaging the structure of the Normal.dot.
Therefore I do not let Word automatically save it, but have checked the box for asking to save Normal.dot. If I did not modify it, I do not save any changes.
But nevertheless, renaming it allows you to restore your personal settings afterwards. If you reinstall/repair Word, the Normal.dot will be replaced by a new one, and all your settings are gone. Should it not be replaced, then some troubles will persist even after a repair installation.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Andrzej Lejman
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
I have heard, but I have never experienced it... Feb 21, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Regards
Jerzy

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You can consider you a very lucky guy... Feb 21, 2004

My Normal.dot has got corrupted several times, so I allways keep a copy of an actuall, working Normal.dot on my system (under other name, ie XNormal.dot or even better, Normal.dox)

Regards
Jerzy

do not worry Feb 21, 2004

Let me first tell you that you do not need to do anything with Operating System. Normal.dot file is a part of MS Office, and in one way serves to create macros and do some scripting. Your normal.dot file is actually being corrupted. and even if you find it, you will waste hours on trying to set it right. If you do like e-mail me and I will send youa clean copy of normal.dot file along with instructions how and where to place it.

Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
Searching for Normal.dot may not be the best way to find it Feb 22, 2004

This may sound weird, but there may be more than one Normal.dot on your system. In order to find (and zap) the one Normal.dot that your Word installation is using in your profile, go to Start/Run and type "%appdata%" without the quotes. Hit OK. This will open the Application Data folder in your profile folder. Inside it, look for a folder named Microsoft. Open it, and you will find a folder named "Templates." That is where the Normal.dot file is found. Dont't rename Normal.dot. Just delete it. T... See more
This may sound weird, but there may be more than one Normal.dot on your system. In order to find (and zap) the one Normal.dot that your Word installation is using in your profile, go to Start/Run and type "%appdata%" without the quotes. Hit OK. This will open the Application Data folder in your profile folder. Inside it, look for a folder named Microsoft. Open it, and you will find a folder named "Templates." That is where the Normal.dot file is found. Dont't rename Normal.dot. Just delete it. That is what Microsoft support people recommend. When you open Word again, it will create a brand spanking new Normal.dot.

If your problem recurs, and you find yourself deleting the Normal.dot file and creating a new one too frequently, you will need to identify the underlying cause. In my case, for example, the reason for the Normal.dot file getting currpted was that my printer's driver needed updating. Once I got the most recent driver, everything went back to normal (pardon the pun). In your case, it may be the software you are using (Meta whatever) that is currpting your Normal.dot file.
Collapse

GAK (X)
GAK (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your suggestions and help Feb 22, 2004

Hello,

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I decided to rename normal.dot and it worked well (although Metatexis isn't running, so the error must be somewhere else).

Greetings
Anett

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
your settings check Feb 22, 2004

Anett Kiefer wrote:

Hello,

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I decided to rename normal.dot and it worked well (although Metatexis isn't running, so the error must be somewhere else).

Greetings
Anett
Hi!
Set path or copy the template to a place where all or your global templates are automatically loaded upon start-up of MS-Word. This localtion would be
c:\documents and settings\applictaiondata\Microsoft\templates
( I may have mistyped, hence you may have to check your system for the right location) This would be the place to copy your MetaTexsis ( I have no personal experience with this tool though)if it works with MS-Words, then that is the location your global and or all templates should be.

This should help. Because my wordfast and Fusion or other templates are here and I can perfectly load them or even disable them (in a choice box ( Add-ins)) just by marking these. This should help
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Templates

It could also be that a few such templates confilct with the others, hence not always loadable. You may have to reach an option, as to with which application ( you think) is appropriate for a set of executing functions for that particular project, which you are currently processing.

Best Regards,
Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows Search does not turn up Normal.dot (from MetaTexis)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »