Off topic: importing dictionaries to Trados 5?
Thread poster: Serhiy
Serhiy
Serhiy
Local time: 18:38
English to Russian
+ ...
Dec 12, 2003

Dear collegues,
Just making first steps with Trados 5. It's clear, I don't have any TM and MultiTerm bases. I still use Polyglossum-II, Lingvo, Promt. Is it possible to import any one of them to Trados 5?
Thanks in advance.
Serhiy Kanyuka

Romuald Pawlikowski
Romuald Pawlikowski  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:38
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Check TMX options Dec 12, 2003

Serhiy wrote:

... I still use Polyglossum-II, Lingvo, Promt. Is it possible to import any one of them to Trados 5?

Check if your software can export translation memories to TMX format. If so you should import your legacy TM using this format.

BTW, your question is not exactly off topic

Best

Romuald

[Edited at 2003-12-12 20:47]

[Edited at 2003-12-12 20:48]

Yuri Dubrov
Yuri Dubrov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:38
English to Russian
+ ...
IMPOSSIBLE Dec 15, 2003

[quote]Serhiy wrote:
Hi
still use Polyglossum-II, Lingvo, Promt. Is it possible to import any one of them to Trados 5?

IMPOSSIBLE!!

Trados is a CAT-Tool /íàêîïèòåëü ÏÅÐÅÂÎÄÎÂ!! - òàì íàêîïëåííûå ïåðåâîäû/, à íå ïåðåâîä÷èê, è òåì áîëåå ñëîâàðü!!

CathyFS
CathyFS  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:38
German to English
+ ...
It is if you can convert these glossaries to Excel format! Jan 8, 2004

Once you have an Excel file listing translations in the source and target texts, it's possible to create a text file that corresponds precisely with a Trados import file, and then import this into ANY version of Workbench! I've made out instructions on this, mail me if you want them and I'll send them on. It can take anywhere from 10 minutes to a couple of hours to do this, depending on the volume of translations in your existing dictionary.

Note that the Excel file is the key here,
... See more
Once you have an Excel file listing translations in the source and target texts, it's possible to create a text file that corresponds precisely with a Trados import file, and then import this into ANY version of Workbench! I've made out instructions on this, mail me if you want them and I'll send them on. It can take anywhere from 10 minutes to a couple of hours to do this, depending on the volume of translations in your existing dictionary.

Note that the Excel file is the key here, and my instructions are for creating a TM, not a glossary. I also have instructions somewhere for creating a MultiTerm glossary from this TM export file (i.e. you'd still have to export your dictionary to Excel), I'm sure I could root them out!

Cathy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

importing dictionaries to Trados 5?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »