Error! Bookmark not defined: What do I do here?
Thread poster: Mariflor Salas
Mariflor Salas
Mariflor Salas  Identity Verified
Venezuela
Local time: 23:14
English to Spanish
Dec 6, 2003

Dear people,

Is there a soul out there that can tell me the best way to translate a Word document that has a big bunch of internal cross references everywhere? How do I translate cross references (grayed sections that when clicked on, take you to another section of the document) without messing up with the document?

I'm working directly on an English file. I'm not using Trados, but rather simply overwriting the document with the equivalent Spanish but when I change name
... See more
Dear people,

Is there a soul out there that can tell me the best way to translate a Word document that has a big bunch of internal cross references everywhere? How do I translate cross references (grayed sections that when clicked on, take you to another section of the document) without messing up with the document?

I'm working directly on an English file. I'm not using Trados, but rather simply overwriting the document with the equivalent Spanish but when I change names related to cross-references, save the file and then reopen it, my document is full of these error messages instead of the cross-references: "Error! Bookmark not defined".

Is there a simple way to solve it? I have Word97.

Thanks.
Collapse

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
Local time: 05:14
English to Czech
Have bookmarks visible Dec 6, 2003

Word documents that have these 'internal cross-references' usually include bookmarks. A bookmark is a place in the document, marked with a name. Bookmarks make internal links possible (if you click a link, you jump to a bookmark).

The trouble is that bookmarks are normally hidden in Word. However, you can go to Tools > Options > View and check Bookmarks. You will then see [ and ] in your document. These signs represent bookmarks.

You'll not be able to copy and paste boo
... See more
Word documents that have these 'internal cross-references' usually include bookmarks. A bookmark is a place in the document, marked with a name. Bookmarks make internal links possible (if you click a link, you jump to a bookmark).

The trouble is that bookmarks are normally hidden in Word. However, you can go to Tools > Options > View and check Bookmarks. You will then see [ and ] in your document. These signs represent bookmarks.

You'll not be able to copy and paste bookmarks, I'm afraid. You'll have to translate the text and leave bookmarks where they are (I hope this is possible - I use Wordfast which has a superb feature for handling bookmarks).

If you delete a bookmark by accident and you can't undo the action anymore, you can enter bookmarks where necessary (via Insert > Bookmark menu) but you need to know where the bookmark should be (i.e. where to position your cursor before you go to the menu) and what name it should have.

I hope this helps.
Collapse

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Convert bookmarks into tags Dec 7, 2003

Check the Wordfast for bookmark marking/unmarking feature (or PlusTools, I am not 100% where this feature was placed).

It will convert document's bookmarks into internal style tags. You can then translate document using Trados (or any Trados-compatible CAT) and restore bookmarks in target (not bilingual) file.

HTH,
Wojtek Froelich

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Oops, it's gone Dec 7, 2003

Unfortunately it's gone...
But +Tools documentation still contains some screenshots in Tag section with familiar buttons...

Sorry,
Wojtek

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 06:14
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
do nothing Dec 7, 2003

This happens to me very often. Just leave it alone and translate the normal text.

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Bookmark-tagging utility moved, not ditched Dec 7, 2003

froelich wrote:
Unfortunately it's gone...
But +Tools documentation still contains some screenshots in Tag section with familiar buttons...

Wojtek,
The bookmark-tagging utility is not in +Tools anymore because it was incorporated in Wordfast: whenever you start translating a document with bookmarks with Wordfast, the programme informs you what options you have.
By the way, the bookmark-tagging feature works even in an unregistered version of Wordfast, so it can be of great help for users of other CATs (or maybe even for people who prefer translating without CATs, because tags, unlike bookmarks, are easy to copy-paste).

Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
German to Croatian
+ ...
Working with TOC Dec 7, 2003

Bookmarks usually refer to chapter, subchapter etc, i.e. the table of contents. The easiest way is not to touch bookmarks, but to translate the titles of all chapters at their original locations, and when the translation is finished, rightclick on the grayed-out table of contents and from the appearing menu choose the option "update field". It can take you a while before you understand the procedure, so make sure that you experiment on a copy of the original document.

You can also c
... See more
Bookmarks usually refer to chapter, subchapter etc, i.e. the table of contents. The easiest way is not to touch bookmarks, but to translate the titles of all chapters at their original locations, and when the translation is finished, rightclick on the grayed-out table of contents and from the appearing menu choose the option "update field". It can take you a while before you understand the procedure, so make sure that you experiment on a copy of the original document.

You can also check the MS Word Help information on working with table of contents (TOC).

HTH

[Edited at 2003-12-07 13:28]
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 06:14
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Try this Dec 7, 2003

Right click on the gray bookmark field and choose "update field". If that doesn't help I don't know any solution.

Uldis.

msal wrote:
my document is full of these error messages instead of the cross-references: "Error! Bookmark not defined".
Thanks.

Mariflor Salas
Mariflor Salas  Identity Verified
Venezuela
Local time: 23:14
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all Dec 11, 2003

Sorry I had not thank you all but I've been in a frenzy state the whole week. The "update field" worked sometimes, but not always, so I have the feeling something was not right in the formatting of the original document. At the end I spoke with my client and we both decided to delete the cross-references and have them reinsert them.

Again, thanks for all you suggestions and help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error! Bookmark not defined: What do I do here?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »