Easy-to-use glossary management tool
Thread poster: LaneIV
LaneIV
LaneIV
United States
Local time: 19:17
Apr 24, 2010

My father is a freelance French -> English translator. His glossary is stored in an Excel table that has 2 columns (French terms on the left, English on the right). There are a couple of shortcomings to this system:
- He finds it tedious to have to manually add each new term to the Excel spreadsheet, especially since he does the translations in Word and it can be disorienting to switch apps.
- Looking up terms could be easier (he currently does a Ctrl+F through the Excel sheet).
... See more
My father is a freelance French -> English translator. His glossary is stored in an Excel table that has 2 columns (French terms on the left, English on the right). There are a couple of shortcomings to this system:
- He finds it tedious to have to manually add each new term to the Excel spreadsheet, especially since he does the translations in Word and it can be disorienting to switch apps.
- Looking up terms could be easier (he currently does a Ctrl+F through the Excel sheet).
- It's hard to distinguish between translations specific to a given assignment, vs. general translations he wants to keep permanently.

His wish would be for a tool that is easier and faster to use. For example:
- Highlight a term in the French (source) document to see if a translation already exists in his glossary
- If a translation doesn't already exist, a painless (e.g. "1-click") way to add it to his glossary.

The most important thing is ease of use. He is not tech-savvy, and ends up abandoning software that is not perfectly intuitive to him. (Example: I installed and trained him to use WordFast, but he quickly reverted to his old ways.)

He uses Windows 7, Office 2007, and Dragon NaturallySpeaking.

Any suggestions?
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:17
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Apsic Xbench Apr 24, 2010

No contest.
Resave the xls glossaries as tab delimited txt, set up projects for him in Xbench and he'll be a happy man. You can add TMs for good measure.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Two simple tools... Apr 24, 2010

LaneIV wrote:
His wish would be for a tool that is easier and faster to use. For example:
- Highlight a term in the French (source) document to see if a translation already exists in his glossary
- If a translation doesn't already exist, a painless (e.g. "1-click") way to add it to his glossary.

For adding terms to a simple 3-column TXT file, I can recommend my little program AddTerm:
http://leuce.com/tempfile/omtautoit/addterm_flatnote.zip

Although it is simple to use, it only adds terms to the glossary -- it doesn't search the glossary (he'd have to use Ctrl+F in Notepad). It produces UTF8 files. To use it, select a source term, press Ctrl+Shift+T, select a target term (optional), press Ctrl+Shift+T again, and edit the entry.

A simple glossary lookup program is Tittut:
http://www.sharewareconnection.com/tittut.htm

Unfortunately, Tittut does not work with UTF8 glossary files, so I created an AddTerm version that creates ANSI files that Tittut can read:
http://leuce.com/tempfile/omtautoit/addterm_flat_ansi.zip

You can't use Tittut's "indexing" feature if you want to be able to edit the glossaries, but the indexing feature is really only for VERY LARGE files. In Tittut, first save a set and then add glossary files to the set and then save the set again. Next time, you can simply double-click the set icon to run Tittut. Tittut does a lookup for whatever is in the clipboard, so your father will have to select a word, press Ctrl+C and the press Ctrl+Space (which is Tittut's shortcut key). Press Escape to close Tittut's window. You can also press Ctrl+Space and type in your search term.

LaneIV
LaneIV
United States
Local time: 19:17
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 3, 2010

Thanks FarkasAndras and Samuel.

I played around with Xbench a bit and the interface for searching terms seems quite nice. However, Xbench looks like a "read-only" tool -- if my father wants to add a new term to his glossary, he has to go to the tab-delimited file and type it in. Ideally, it would be simpler, like right-clicking on a French term in his word, selecting "add to glossary", and then typing in the English translation to a dialog. Are you aware of any method of doing this?
... See more
Thanks FarkasAndras and Samuel.

I played around with Xbench a bit and the interface for searching terms seems quite nice. However, Xbench looks like a "read-only" tool -- if my father wants to add a new term to his glossary, he has to go to the tab-delimited file and type it in. Ideally, it would be simpler, like right-clicking on a French term in his word, selecting "add to glossary", and then typing in the English translation to a dialog. Are you aware of any method of doing this? Combining that with the intuitive interface of Xbench would be fantastic.
Collapse

Miguel Martin
Miguel Martin  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Glossary wordfast Apr 5, 2013

Are you aware of any method of doing this? Combining that with the intuitive interface of Xbench would be fantastic.

Try the wordfast glossary, easy and exportable with the txt

Cheers
M

[Editado a las 2013-04-05 22:45 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Easy-to-use glossary management tool

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »