OTMed (X)
OTMed (X)
Poland
Local time: 04:46
English to Polish
+ ...
Nov 29, 2003

Hello everyone,
My TagEditor (Trados 5.5 Freelance) does not seem to spell check .ttx documents at all. It does not red-underline typos, and crashes every time I press F7 spell check.
The Word Spellchecker plug-in is activated, and I have tried all kinds of remedies I could think of (re-installations, Office version changes and all). Could perhaps anyone think of some more efective ways of troubleshooting?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Does the TE spellchecker work? Nov 29, 2003

Have you tried TagEditor's internal spell checker? If that works, there's a chance that something is wrong with the setup of the Word spell checker. Worth a try - BTW which version ("build") of TagEditor are you using? Some problems in Build 249 or lower had problems which were fixed in a cumulative patch in October 2002.

HTH, Ralf

OTMed (X)
OTMed (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No: TagEditor internal spellchecker does not work either Nov 29, 2003

Thanks for your propmt reply!
Internal (WinterTree?) spell checker does not work either I am afraid. I also have thought about version-related problem - have downloaded and installed the recent 10/2002 cumulative patch, and the recent built is 5.5.2.257. Office XP is also SP-ed. As I was never able to get this thing work, is TagEditor spell-checker supposed to work the same way MS Word does? I am assuming that TagEditor should red-underline all words not included in Word dictionary?

Ulrike Lieder (X)
Ulrike Lieder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:46
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
The combination of TE/spellchecker is always troublesome Nov 29, 2003

As I was never able to get this thing work, is TagEditor spell-checker supposed to work the same way MS Word does? I am assuming that TagEditor should red-underline all words not included in Word dictionary?

Whichever spellchecker you use in TE (Wintertree or MS Word), it will never underline anything in red or any other color. It does not spellcheck as you work. You have two options, you can spellcheck each segment as you close it (which I personally find very annoying) or you can spellcheck the entire file when you click on "save target as".

That said, TE/spellchecker is a source of constant irritation. I have had more crashes caused by the spellchecker than anything else, and in the interest of time (not to mention my sanity), I have disabled the @#$%%!! thing.

I also remember that TE is not compatible with all versions of Word; in fact I'm not sure that it is compatible with Word XP. In my experience, using the Wintertree spellchecker (with all its drawbacks) provided a more stable environment than trying to get one of the Word spellcheckers to work.

I'm afraid I don't have any good advice as to how to make the Wintertree spellchecker work; if you are a member of the TW_users group, you may want to post the question there.

[Edited at 2003-11-29 22:55]

[Edited at 2003-11-29 22:56]

[Edited at 2003-11-29 22:57]

OTMed (X)
OTMed (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your input - this explains a lot! Nov 29, 2003

[quote]Ulrike Lieder wrote:
Whichever spellchecker you use in TE (Wintertree or MS Word), it will never underline anything in red or any other color. It does not spellcheck as you work. [quote]
Your post was very helpful indeed. I have with great relief stopped to pursue attempts to have typos red-underlined.
The thing is, single-word spell checking after finishing typing a sentence/segment/doc is quite useless for us, as most of the terms we are translating are strangers to a built-ine MS Word spellchecker anyway.
Will therefore consider two options: try to convince the customer to work on a tagged rtf file, or just skip the spell checking a .ttx and do it at a later stage (pdf>OCR>rtf + spell-check).
Many thanks your info again! Brgrds

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Import in Word Nov 30, 2003

I had a similar problem last week with a large bunch of html files that I had translated in TE - "Wintertree" crashed the computer, and Word spellcheker seemed to work more or less. I suppose that all the translators working on the same project in various languages had the same problem, as the agency sent us back a .doc file in which all the text was transferred (without the tags)- just to perform a more accurate spellcheck.

To my great surprise, there were a good number of mistakes
... See more
I had a similar problem last week with a large bunch of html files that I had translated in TE - "Wintertree" crashed the computer, and Word spellcheker seemed to work more or less. I suppose that all the translators working on the same project in various languages had the same problem, as the agency sent us back a .doc file in which all the text was transferred (without the tags)- just to perform a more accurate spellcheck.

To my great surprise, there were a good number of mistakes that had not been detected in TE - mostly double spaces, one being before the tag and the other after the tag, making it difficult to see.

I have been doing a bit of searching since in Word and I have found out that we can import all the files of a project in a .doc file using Insert/File.. (once they have been cleaned!)
The spellchecker works "normally" then, we just need to get back to TE to perform the corrections.

Florence
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor: spellchecker does not work

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »