Thread poster: Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:08
German to Croatian
+ ...
Nov 28, 2003

Dear colleagues,

I am trying to find out the way of making a two-column Excel glossary available in MultiTerm iX termbase (ca. 1500 entries).

I am using Trados 5.5 Freelance with the Power Pack, which contains a collection of T-Windows, T-Window for Excel among them.

I have searched the related topics in ProZ.com forums, in TW Users archives at Yahoo Groups as well as in the Trados Support archives. Tha latter gives explanation only for Multiterm, but not
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I am trying to find out the way of making a two-column Excel glossary available in MultiTerm iX termbase (ca. 1500 entries).

I am using Trados 5.5 Freelance with the Power Pack, which contains a collection of T-Windows, T-Window for Excel among them.

I have searched the related topics in ProZ.com forums, in TW Users archives at Yahoo Groups as well as in the Trados Support archives. Tha latter gives explanation only for Multiterm, but not for MultiTerm iX (the menus seem to be quite different).

I have also tried to use T-Window for Excel, but I get the following message

"The cumulative file size of batch operations cannot exceed 20 KB while running T-Window in demo mode",

aldough in other Trados applications there is no problem whatsoever with the dongle and its recognition.

The Trados MultiTerm iX manual gives information only about entering individual terms, so it doesn't help me any further.

Could anyone help to solve this problem?

Best regards,

[Edited at 2003-11-28 20:38]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
MultiTerm Convert Nov 28, 2003

Hi Vesna,
Trados released a revamped version of MTiX (now called MT Workstation) in summer - this is version 6.2.267 (or build 267). This includes a utility called MultiTerm Convert that includes a conversion tool for Excel.

If you don't have that, but urgently need an import file, contact me privately - not sure if I have the right fonts, but worth a try.

HTH, Ralf

Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
German to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sleep on it Nov 29, 2003

Ralf, thank you so much for your readiness to help. However, after I have slept on it, this morning, to my surprise, I have managed to find the way of creating a Multiterm IX termbase from an Excel file. I still don't understand why it should be so complicated.

Here is the outline of the procedure that worked in my case (Trados Freelanace 5.5. with Power Pack and T-Window for Excel refusing to work normally). Perhaps somebody will find it useful:

1. Convert Excel file
... See more
Ralf, thank you so much for your readiness to help. However, after I have slept on it, this morning, to my surprise, I have managed to find the way of creating a Multiterm IX termbase from an Excel file. I still don't understand why it should be so complicated.

Here is the outline of the procedure that worked in my case (Trados Freelanace 5.5. with Power Pack and T-Window for Excel refusing to work normally). Perhaps somebody will find it useful:

1. Convert Excel file to txt format following the procedure as described in Trados Knowledge base

http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=827

As a result, you get a text file that you are supposed to import to Multiterm IX. I spent hours trying to figure out how to do it. What nobody tells you is that Multiterm IX imports ONLY XMT files.

2. In order to be able to import text into a Multiterm termbase, you must have Multiterm 5/5.5. I thought I didn't have it on my computer, but I was wrong. Trados Freelance 5.5 has both versions of Multiterm.

Multiterm IX is located in Trados Corporate Language folder, whereas Multiterm 5/5.5 can be found in Trados T5-FL/TT folder.

It was only after I have located this previous version of Multiterm that I was able to proceed with the conversion of my text file from step 1.

3. I used Multiterm 5/5.5 to import text file and create a MTW file.

4. In order to convert a MTW to a XML file i needed Migration Tool which is located in Trados Corporate Language folder. After the process of migration is finished, you get a XML file for import into Multiterm IX.

5. Open Multiterm iX, create a termbase, open Catalogue, click on the last tab "Import", go straight to "Process", select the newly created XML file from step 4, tick Fast Import and Apply Filter, and...

pray that it works for you as it worked for me.

HTH

Vesna
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to import a glossary in Excel into MultiTerm IX termbase

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »