Krzysztof Kłonica
Krzysztof Kłonica  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:44
English to Polish
+ ...
Nov 10, 2003

Hello,

I'm new to Trados and I've got a problem. I'm translating a Word file with text fields (boxes) and it seems Trados doesn't "see" them at all. Is it possible to translate text fields in Trados? I would appreciate any help.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
There are many possibilities of doing so Nov 10, 2003

One is to copy the text to a new file, translate it there and then to copy the text back.
The second one is to click into the text box and start translating within. It can be tricky, if the box has fixed dimensions. However, you can still resize the height of the text box (ie. by simply adding "1" before the original size) and then resize it back after the translation is finished (in above case by simply removing ther "1").
Remember, in both cases text within the text box will not be
... See more
One is to copy the text to a new file, translate it there and then to copy the text back.
The second one is to click into the text box and start translating within. It can be tricky, if the box has fixed dimensions. However, you can still resize the height of the text box (ie. by simply adding "1" before the original size) and then resize it back after the translation is finished (in above case by simply removing ther "1").
Remember, in both cases text within the text box will not be cleaned either in Workbench or using the Word macro. To get the text in the text boxes cleaned you must position the cursor within each text box and then run the Word macro. Workbench will never clean up such text boxes.

Other possibility is to use T-Window for Clipboard. What you need then is to mark each sentence in the text box one by one, and then translate them one by one by pressing CTRL+C. If your T-Window is properly set (auto activate on, auto open/get on, copy target on CTRL+END) you will only need to mark the sentence, press CTRL+C, translate the sentence in T-Window, press CTRL+END, then you will be automaticaly transfered back to Word, where you only need to press CTRL+V (as the sentece was allready marked, it will be replaced with the translated one).

Maybe there are more tricks for translating text boxes, but the above described do for the most cases.

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Krzysztof Kłonica
Krzysztof Kłonica  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works! Nov 10, 2003

Thanks a lot for your help. Both of the ways are working well!
But honestly speaking I expected a more "elegant" approach to text fields from Trados... especially for that money. Fortunately, I am just evaluating Trados (downloaded it from their website) and haven't spent fortune on it yet...)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 6.0 - translating text fields

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »