Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 00:48
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Dec 8, 2009

Hi,

A client provided me with a recent version of Worldserver_desktop_Workbench 9.0.1.49 to work on their projects.

I'm now trying to install it on the second pc today, and each time I get the error message:

"1603: Error installing Microsoft (R) .NET Framework".

This happens AFTER I got a message during installation whereby .NET 1.1 was installed correctly...

I saw a thread here about problems with installing on Windows 7; yet I ha
... See more
Hi,

A client provided me with a recent version of Worldserver_desktop_Workbench 9.0.1.49 to work on their projects.

I'm now trying to install it on the second pc today, and each time I get the error message:

This happens AFTER I got a message during installation whereby .NET 1.1 was installed correctly...

I saw a thread here about problems with installing on Windows 7; yet I have Vista SP2.

Thanks, Doron
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:48
French to Polish
+ ...
Virtual machine... Dec 8, 2009

Doron Greenspan MITI wrote:

I saw a thread here about problems with installing on Windows 7; yet I have Vista SP2.

Generally, the SDL guys are unable to create correct setup routines for .Net Framework.

I don't want to give you advices like "uninstall all .Nets and follow a proven procedure like:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/129365-cannot_install_synergy:_net_framework_problem.html
but I suppose the cumulative .Net 3.5 may be a problem.
I.e. I think the uninstall may cause more problems with your existing programs, so it's better to find some workaround.

Install a trial version of Idiom in a clean virtual machine.
So I did several times.
As I consider Idiom is a crap, I never install it in real machines, especially because some registry entries are shared with my main CAT tool, i.e. DVX (yes, it's a castrated DVX clone).

When your Idiom is installed correctly, ask me for some workarounds if you want to work as a human.

Cheers
GG

Doron Greenspan MITI
Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Virtual PC - should I bother at all? Dec 9, 2009

Thanks, Grzegorz, much appreciated.

I now downloaded the Virtual PC 2007, but cannot install it on my laptop (has Vista Home - not compatible), so have to do it on my main pc.

Is there anything that can go wrong with the pc after installing that Virtual PC 2007?

I'm starting to think perhaps it's not worth it, and that I should just decline any future Idiom jobs...

Thanks, Doron

[Edited at 2009-12-09 11:14 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:48
French to Polish
+ ...
VirtualBox Dec 9, 2009

I know downloaded the Virtual PC 2007, but cannot install it on my laptop (has Vista Home - not compatible), so have to do it on my main pc.

You can try VirtualBox instead.

Is there anything that can go wrong with the pc after installing that Virtual PC 2007?

The virtual machines behaves as a normal computer.
The same precautions should be made.
So, if you start with a clean configuration, the first program you set up should be installed correctly

I'm starting to think perhaps it's not worth it, and that I should just decline any future Idiom jobs...

Idiom isn't so bad but must be tweaked in order to work in a decent way.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-12-09 10:52 GMT]

drivers123
drivers123
Vista right click Dec 9, 2009

Can you try right click on setup idiom file and Run Administrator?

[Edited at 2009-12-09 15:33 GMT]

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:48
English to German
I managed to install on 64-bit Windows 7 Pro May 5, 2010

I had exactly the same problem, Dorron described.

Then I tried drivers 123 suggestion to run as admin. Didn't work to start with but then I checked the control panel and uninstalled .Net Framework 1.1.

Next, I right-clicked the Idiom exe and selected Troubleshoot compatibility. This then gave me Windows XP SP2 as the compatible environment. Clicking on Start Program and Next as instructed, I got the same warning about .Net Framework 1.1 compatibility issues, which I cho
... See more

Then I tried drivers 123 suggestion to run as admin. Didn't work to start with but then I checked the control panel and uninstalled .Net Framework 1.1.

Next, I right-clicked the Idiom exe and selected Troubleshoot compatibility. This then gave me Windows XP SP2 as the compatible environment. Clicking on Start Program and Next as instructed, I got the same warning about .Net Framework 1.1 compatibility issues, which I chose to ignore. .Net Framework 1.1 installed as before but this time Idiom Desktop Workbench also installed without a hitch.
Collapse

Jun Hokari (X)
Jun Hokari (X)
United States
Local time: 14:48
English to Japanese
+ ...
.NET Framework 3.5 & Idiom Workbench Aug 13, 2011

Rebekka Groß wrote:

Next, I right-clicked the Idiom exe and selected Troubleshoot compatibility. This then gave me Windows XP SP2 as the compatible environment. Clicking on Start Program and Next as instructed, I got the same warning about .Net Framework 1.1 compatibility issues, which I chose to ignore. .Net Framework 1.1 installed as before but this time Idiom Desktop Workbench also installed without a hitch.

I was having the same problem, but I kept .NET Framework 3.5 installed. Then I right-clicked the Idiom exe and selected Troubleshoot compatibility, per Rebekka's advice. It set Win XP SP2 as the compatible environment, I hit Start Program to make sure it fixed the issue. It worked. I hit Next, it asked me to check for further issues, I said yes. It found one (not sure what; it didn't say), but I closed the window and Idiom seems to be working just fine.

Ariela Tamir
Ariela Tamir
English to Hebrew
Hot fix by Microsoft for this issue, saved me much time and solved it all! Feb 4, 2014

Hi Doron and any other user that is now revisiting this old and (very) annoying issue.

The solution that solved error 1603 in .NET 1.1 installation was Microsoft's Hotfix of KB928366 downloadable at:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982/en-us

If this alone does not solve the problem, then also go to "\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v1.1.4322\config" folder and remove
security.config and enterprisesec.config.

Good luck,
Ariela

Hi,

Thanks, Doron

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem installing Idiom Workbench on Vista - a .NET Framework error

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »