Use of glossaries compiled in Word in CAD tools?
Thread poster: Iouri Belooussov
Iouri Belooussov
Iouri Belooussov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:41
English to Russian
Oct 24, 2003

Dear all,

I have a CAT begginer question and it may already been discussed here, I couldn't find though.

For coule of years I've been compiling my own Eng-Fr-Eng, Eng-Rus-Eng glossaries in Word and Excel making up a pretty large data base. I just got Wordfast and I'm thinking if I can make any use of my multilingual glossaries as Translation Units???

I will appreciate any feedback.

Iouri

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:41
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
The best thing about Wordfast is that it's all TXT files Oct 24, 2003

Hi Iouri,

Copy two Excel columns and paste them into a Word document. Convert table to text with tabs using Table/Convert/Table to text. Save with the extension TXT. Open the file as a Wordfast glossary and sort it in Wordfast. That's your Wordfast glossary.

Open the glossary file in Word. Save it with the extension DOC and execute the undermentioned macro to turn the glossary into segments. Make hidden text visible and remove the first and last ugly segments. Clean up
... See more
Hi Iouri,

Copy two Excel columns and paste them into a Word document. Convert table to text with tabs using Table/Convert/Table to text. Save with the extension TXT. Open the file as a Wordfast glossary and sort it in Wordfast. That's your Wordfast glossary.

Open the glossary file in Word. Save it with the extension DOC and execute the undermentioned macro to turn the glossary into segments. Make hidden text visible and remove the first and last ugly segments. Clean up the document with Wordfast into a (newly created) TM. There's your Wordfast TM.

Go to
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/
or to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wordfast-RU
and ask wether or not to save your Wordfast files in Unicode.

Sub TabsToTM()
'
' TabsToTM Macro
' Macro recorded 30-3-2003 by Gerard de Noord
'
Selection.TypeParagraph
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
Selection.Find.Replacement.Style = ActiveDocument.Styles("tw4winMark")
With Selection.Find
.Text = "^p"
.Replacement.Text = ""
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = True
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
End With
Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
With Selection.Find
.Text = "^t"
.Replacement.Text = ""
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = True
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
End With
Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
End Sub

Regards,
Gerard

[Edited at 2003-10-24 12:18]
Collapse

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:41
English to French
How to... Oct 24, 2003

Iouri Belooussov wrote:

Dear all,

I have a CAT begginer question and it may already been discussed here, I couldn't find though.

For coule of years I've been compiling my own Eng-Fr-Eng, Eng-Rus-Eng glossaries in Word and Excel making up a pretty large data base. I just got Wordfast and I'm thinking if I can make any use of my multilingual glossaries as Translation Units???

Iouri

A glossary has usually entries with one word or a small phrase. As such, it wouldn't be very interesting as a TM, but can be used with the glossary function of Wordfast (quality check). A wordfast glossary is a simple tab delimited txt file that looks like that:

Source entry (tab) target entry (tab) comments1 (§ mark - P)

All you need to do is to arrange your glossaries to follow that format, save as txt or unicode is needed, and open as a Wordfast glossary. Glossary under Wordfast have a lot of uses, and I would really like to urge you to study the manual. If you are interested, there is a Wordfast beginner's tutorial on my web site, www.your-translations.com that could help you get up to speed.

Cheers,
Sylvain

Iouri Belooussov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank's that's a lot of help! Oct 24, 2003

Thank you very much,

This is a very important information for me.

Good luck

Iouri

Iouri Belooussov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 25, 2003

Thank you Sylver!
This is all new for me with Wordfast. I'm sure to visit your website and will feedback on it.

Best Regards,

Iouri

sylver wrote:

Iouri Belooussov wrote:

Dear all,

Iouri

A glossary has usually entries with one word or a small phrase. As such, it wouldn't be very interesting as a TM, but can be used with the glossary function of Wordfast (quality check). A wordfast glossary is a simple tab delimited txt file that looks like that:

Source entry (tab) target entry (tab) comments1 (§ mark - P)

All you need to do is to arrange your glossaries to follow that format, save as txt or unicode is needed, and open as a Wordfast glossary. Glossary under Wordfast have a lot of uses, and I would really like to urge you to study the manual. If you are interested, there is a Wordfast beginner's tutorial on my web site, www.your-translations.com that could help you get up to speed.

Cheers,
Sylvain

[Edited at 2003-10-25 05:15]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Use of glossaries compiled in Word in CAD tools?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »