How to create an SDLX term database from a delimited text?
Thread poster: Maria Asis
Maria Asis
Maria Asis  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:07
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 23, 2003

Dear all,

I am trying to import a database from a delimited text.

I do all steps (I think that well) but when it's finally imported I can only see the English source term by a empty Spanish window. I think this is because I choose English in the last synchronization option before importing. I cannot see Spanish terms at all.

Maybe I have not set up well the termbase before importing (I just set Target and Source fields). Help!

Thanks in advance
... See more
Dear all,

I am trying to import a database from a delimited text.

I do all steps (I think that well) but when it's finally imported I can only see the English source term by a empty Spanish window. I think this is because I choose English in the last synchronization option before importing. I cannot see Spanish terms at all.

Maybe I have not set up well the termbase before importing (I just set Target and Source fields). Help!

Thanks in advance!

Ma. José
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:07
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Click on each column and select the language, then choose term Oct 23, 2003

Maria Asis wrote:

Hi,

you have to set the language for each column you see after having set which is the delimiter (the wizard analyses your file and displays in a sort of preview columns with terms, typically two). Once you see the columns, you have to click on the first column, set the language and choose *term* from the dropdown menu, then click on the second one and repeat all steps.

It doesn't matter how you call the columns (source & target, English & Spanish..), as you can choose not to import the first raw. Apart from setting the languages, the most important part is the delimiter: is your delimited text like

source1,target1
source2,target2
source3,target3

? where , could also be any other delimiter...

If the delimited text is not "well-assembled", you won't be able to create a TermBase (it took me some tinkering before I could create my first TermBase, but only because I made mistakes in delimiting the terms).

Giuliana

Maria Asis
Maria Asis  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:07
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 24, 2003

Thanks for your suggestion Giuliana!

I always set the language for each column as you said, but it didn't allow me to do it successfully.

I have tried with the setting Source and Definition and Target and Definition, though leaving the Definition fields blank and I finally got it.

Thanks again!

Ma. José

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to create an SDLX term database from a delimited text?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »