Problem with TM lookup in Idiom Desktop Workbench (9.0.1.54)
Thread poster: Boris Rogowski
Boris Rogowski
Boris Rogowski  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:07
Member (2008)
English to German
Aug 21, 2009

Hello all!

I have a problem with the TM Lookup feature (Ctrl + L) in Idiom Desktop Workbench. It is supposed to look for either the entire segment (which works fine) or for single selected words and phrases in the TM. The latter it does not. Whenever I select a word or phrase and use the lookup command I get a "No matches found." message (though the words and phrases definitely exist in the TM, I double checked - most of them in multiple segments).

I find it very hard t
... See more
Hello all!

I have a problem with the TM Lookup feature (Ctrl + L) in Idiom Desktop Workbench. It is supposed to look for either the entire segment (which works fine) or for single selected words and phrases in the TM. The latter it does not. Whenever I select a word or phrase and use the lookup command I get a "No matches found." message (though the words and phrases definitely exist in the TM, I double checked - most of them in multiple segments).

I find it very hard to believe that the feature is supposed to be limited to looking up entire segments but I did not find any way to customize it. I'm not usually a software moron but am definitely at my wits' end now. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Boris
Collapse

Mara Ballarini
Mara Ballarini  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 02:07
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
exact match Aug 21, 2009

Hi Boris
Sometimes I also use Idiom - I must admit I quite like its structure, but I've had the same problem with TM lookup, as well as the terminology base lookup. I'm no software expert either unfortunately and would also like to know if there's a way to overcome this. All I can say is that I've realised it only finds perfect matches, ie if you have a plural word in the source text and you had the singular in the memory (TM or terminology base), it won't show it. I've tried to customise
... See more
Hi Boris
Sometimes I also use Idiom - I must admit I quite like its structure, but I've had the same problem with TM lookup, as well as the terminology base lookup. I'm no software expert either unfortunately and would also like to know if there's a way to overcome this. All I can say is that I've realised it only finds perfect matches, ie if you have a plural word in the source text and you had the singular in the memory (TM or terminology base), it won't show it. I've tried to customise the settings once and I think I managed to get a few more matches from the TM, but still no success with the terminology base. A pity since I like recording vocabulary in its base form but then all I seem to get in the texts I have to translate are all its derived forms
Anyway, if you haven't customised your settings, try under 'tools' > 'options'
Collapse

Andreas Müürsepp
Andreas Müürsepp  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 19:07
English to Estonian
+ ...
Idiom TM problem Oct 5, 2012

Hi,

I seem to have an even bigger problem with Idiom at the moment.

I have never actually translated in Idiom but a colleague of mine took over a job in Idiom - so we opened an already translated Idiom file, we could see ICE-s and 1005 matches etc. But, the funny thing is, when doing a TM lookup of the most common words that should definitely be in the TM - nothing. As if there was no TM at all...

Could anyone help me out as I am clueless. Does it have som
... See more
Hi,

I seem to have an even bigger problem with Idiom at the moment.

I have never actually translated in Idiom but a colleague of mine took over a job in Idiom - so we opened an already translated Idiom file, we could see ICE-s and 1005 matches etc. But, the funny thing is, when doing a TM lookup of the most common words that should definitely be in the TM - nothing. As if there was no TM at all...

Could anyone help me out as I am clueless. Does it have something to do with the initial pop up window where you choose if you want to create a new TM or add entries to an existing one? What should I do or is there any useful Idiom tutorial/guide to help me out?

Hope you can help me.
Thanks in advance!

Eve
Collapse

Anna Fitak
Anna Fitak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:07
Member (2012)
English to Polish
+ ...
I think I found the solution Feb 19, 2013

A little too late but might be useful for others:)
Show ICE and 100% segments from all files. Click Shift+F12. It loads all pairs to TM (or whatever it does). After that at least CTRL+L works perfectly.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with TM lookup in Idiom Desktop Workbench (9.0.1.54)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »