Word count in Trados
Thread poster: Toiny Van der Putte-Rademakers
Toiny Van der Putte-Rademakers
Toiny Van der Putte-Rademakers  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:07
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 12, 2003

I have just finished a Trados translation. +/- 6000 words, 2000 fuzzy matches. The TM was a mess. "No match"-es often had beene translated, but the translations did not "come out". I could find a lot with "concordance", but it was an awful lot of extra work, and I did not make the deadline.
This is my first project with a TM provided by the client. Please tell how I should count the words/matches? And what to do about the fuzzy matches that did not show?
It took me two days extra t
... See more
I have just finished a Trados translation. +/- 6000 words, 2000 fuzzy matches. The TM was a mess. "No match"-es often had beene translated, but the translations did not "come out". I could find a lot with "concordance", but it was an awful lot of extra work, and I did not make the deadline.
This is my first project with a TM provided by the client. Please tell how I should count the words/matches? And what to do about the fuzzy matches that did not show?
It took me two days extra to finish this translation. I got the job from an agency: they agree the TM was a mess, but their client disagrees.
Collapse

Elena Miguel
Elena Miguel  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
My experience Sep 12, 2003

I don't know why but this has happened to me too a couple of times.
Does anyboby know what's the reason for this "hidden" corcondances??
Do you know how this problem can be solved??
Thank you in advance.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Adjust the match value in your TM options Sep 12, 2003

By default Trados sets a minimal match value at 70%. If you wish to see fuzzies with less than 70% match value, you need to lower this value via Options - Translation Memory Options - General to a convenient value. I work with a value of only 50%, which often saves me the concordance search.

That´s why you did not see some matches even if they were stated in the analysis.

Sorry, but I don´t know any answer to how shall you charge for your extra work.

Kind
... See more
By default Trados sets a minimal match value at 70%. If you wish to see fuzzies with less than 70% match value, you need to lower this value via Options - Translation Memory Options - General to a convenient value. I work with a value of only 50%, which often saves me the concordance search.

That´s why you did not see some matches even if they were stated in the analysis.

Sorry, but I don´t know any answer to how shall you charge for your extra work.

Kind regards
Jerzy

[Edited at 2003-09-12 09:14]
Collapse

sandhya
sandhya  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:37
German to English
+ ...
Request the agency for a solution Sep 12, 2003

Hi,

I faced almost the same problem few months ago for a huge project where the TM was in an utter mess! The TM was created using Winalign... the agency client agreed it was a mess... but the end client had a problem!

So, the agency offered to pay me an additional 30% of the total cost of the project! I accepted because it was an old client and this was a "first time" incident!!

I think as far as the translator is concerned, the agency is his/her client, n
... See more
Hi,

I faced almost the same problem few months ago for a huge project where the TM was in an utter mess! The TM was created using Winalign... the agency client agreed it was a mess... but the end client had a problem!

So, the agency offered to pay me an additional 30% of the total cost of the project! I accepted because it was an old client and this was a "first time" incident!!

I think as far as the translator is concerned, the agency is his/her client, not the end client, so the agency must sort out the mess

I would also like to know why sometimes TMs provided are sometimes in a mess and 100% matches do not show up!!! I did not find an answer on the Trados Help page!!!

all the best
sandhya

Toiny Van der Putte-Rademakers wrote:

It took me two days extra to finish this translation. I got the job from an agency: they agree the TM was a mess, but their client disagrees.
Collapse

Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 00:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
Too late now, but.... Sep 12, 2003

First, the technical advice:
Always ask the client providing the TM for his/her TM configuration so you both can get the same results. Also, you may try reorganizing the TM, that sometimes fixes the problem of non-appearing matches.

Second, the professional advice:
Never, never, accept somebody else's TM until you have verified that the TM is up to YOUR professional standards. Just because somebody created a TM does not mean that TM is useful. Make sure the quality is up
... See more
First, the technical advice:
Always ask the client providing the TM for his/her TM configuration so you both can get the same results. Also, you may try reorganizing the TM, that sometimes fixes the problem of non-appearing matches.

Second, the professional advice:
Never, never, accept somebody else's TM until you have verified that the TM is up to YOUR professional standards. Just because somebody created a TM does not mean that TM is useful. Make sure the quality is up to standard, and if it isn't, tell the client. Always give examples of poor translation. If the TM has been aligned, make sure the segments coincide.

Regards,
Ricardo
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word count in Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »