HELP! Source text and translation side by side, separated by little purple curly brackets in TWB 5.5
Thread poster: T_Herrmann (X)
T_Herrmann (X)
T_Herrmann (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:00
German to English
+ ...
Aug 16, 2003

Boy I am close to a heart-attack. I just finished an assignment and had my translation proofread by a colleague. He pointed out some formatting errors, when trying to fix these (basically just bold, italic, underlined stuff) Suddenly I get an error message "Can't open translation unit, another unit may still be open, try closing this unit first. So I click the close unit button, and now hell breaks loose. Somehow the document refreshes, and I see all source text right beside the translation, sep... See more
Boy I am close to a heart-attack. I just finished an assignment and had my translation proofread by a colleague. He pointed out some formatting errors, when trying to fix these (basically just bold, italic, underlined stuff) Suddenly I get an error message "Can't open translation unit, another unit may still be open, try closing this unit first. So I click the close unit button, and now hell breaks loose. Somehow the document refreshes, and I see all source text right beside the translation, separated by little purple curly brackets, text markers etc. Basically the whole uncleaned file at once. How do I go back to the original view? Do I have to clean the file? Can somebody help? My deadline is approaching rapidly, and TRADOS support in Germany isn't available on weekends.Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Sounds like hidden text is being displayed Aug 16, 2003

...and when editing in uncleaned files, that's the safe way of doing it - if you just display the target text, you might unintentionally damage some segments.

Unfortunately you did not mention which version of Word you're using - in Word 97, hidden text display is switched on/off under Extras / Optionen - Ansicht.

A quicker way to toggle the display (which is particularly handy when doing the final edit) is by using the button showing the paragraph symbol (looks
... See more
...and when editing in uncleaned files, that's the safe way of doing it - if you just display the target text, you might unintentionally damage some segments.

Unfortunately you did not mention which version of Word you're using - in Word 97, hidden text display is switched on/off under Extras / Optionen - Ansicht.

A quicker way to toggle the display (which is particularly handy when doing the final edit) is by using the button showing the paragraph symbol (looks like a P shown in reverse) on your Standard toolbar.

HTH - Ralf
Collapse

T_Herrmann (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word XP Aug 16, 2003

unfortunately it is not the formatting symbols of word. Tried that already. A paragraph would look something like this:

2.1.1 {90General Statement90} Allgemeines {77This chapter shall govern the rules set forth for77} {Dieses Kapitel bestimmt die Regeln, die für}...

Und so zieht sich das durch das ganze Dokument.

TIA

Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
German to Croatian
+ ...
Possible solution Aug 16, 2003

Something similar has happened to me several times during final checks. In Word, try Tools, Options,unselect both Field Codes and Hidden text. Let's hope its nothing more serious than that.

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another idea Aug 16, 2003

This could work if you have a fresh copy of the original. Try exporting the TM from Workbench. Open a new TM and import the previously exported TM. As you validate segment after segment of your TM, make all the necessary changes. Once you get to the end, clean the document. Hope this helps!!
Haydée

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just one more idea Aug 16, 2003

I may be wrong, but you could check. Something similar to the example you mention happeneed to me the other day.

When you open Word documents from the Menubar/Open, with all files (*.*) selected instead of all Word.doc documents, you will get the source and the target segments one next to the other. Hope this helps too!
Haydée

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
Try reorganizing your memory Aug 17, 2003

Hi T_Herrmann!

Try the following:

- have a cup of coffee, take a deep breath
- reorganize your memory
- repair your document
- fix your formating

I suspect that if you were working without the hidden text displayed when you were trying to fix your formatting, that you accidentally "tweaked" one of the tags (the purple curly brackets). That's why it's always safest to work with hidden text displayed - although it does take a bit of getting
... See more
Hi T_Herrmann!

Try the following:

- have a cup of coffee, take a deep breath
- reorganize your memory
- repair your document
- fix your formating

I suspect that if you were working without the hidden text displayed when you were trying to fix your formatting, that you accidentally "tweaked" one of the tags (the purple curly brackets). That's why it's always safest to work with hidden text displayed - although it does take a bit of getting used to.

If it still tells you that you've got a busted unit (the essence of your error message), then clean up your document and then you'll be able to see the busted unit quite clearly (it'll have neon green tags around it). Then you can delete this unit manually and manually insert the translation of the unit in its place.

HTH

Alison
Collapse

T_Herrmann (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
First of all, you guys ROCK! Aug 17, 2003

Finally, after phoning support in three different countries, phoning the ATA, and all kinds of efforts it seems I really found a bug when working with TWB and Word XP.

Okay, this basically happens, you were all right when it comes to damaging the segment. Obviously while editing with the source text hidden, I must have deleted or overwritten the "End" marker.

What happens next though seems to be specific for the combination 5.5 and Word XP
Naturally I have my auto
... See more
Finally, after phoning support in three different countries, phoning the ATA, and all kinds of efforts it seems I really found a bug when working with TWB and Word XP.

Okay, this basically happens, you were all right when it comes to damaging the segment. Obviously while editing with the source text hidden, I must have deleted or overwritten the "End" marker.

What happens next though seems to be specific for the combination 5.5 and Word XP
Naturally I have my autosave feature set on a paranoid 5 minute intervall. XP, when autosaving doesn't cashe the file before writing it to the HD. When damaging an end-marker there is about half a second where word (while refreshing the view) mistakes the markers with numerations before the refresh cycle is over. If (the numerical probability of this happening is actually diminishingly small) at the very exact same instance the autosave kicks in, word saves the document as though if the markers were numerations. Thats why it showed weird numbers after the curly brackets, normally it only shows 0=not visible and 100=visible.

Cleaning itself won't help either, since due to Word changing the numbers between the curly brackets TWB won't recognise this text as segments anymore. Well, now that I know I'll figure something out.

End of story.

It is amazing that after all this time TWB 5.5 still manages to surprise me again and again with new and bizarre ways to screw up your work. I feel really stupid, cause now I have to ask the client for a days extension, despite the fact that I really had a more than generous amount of time to finish this thing.

Anyway just wanted to thank you all for taking the time to help. Felt good not to be "all-alone" with it. Thank you all many times.

Better luck next time
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HELP! Source text and translation side by side, separated by little purple curly brackets in TWB 5.5

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »