How many TU can I store in one TRADOS TM...
Thread poster: Louise Dupont (X)
Louise Dupont (X)
Louise Dupont (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:50
English to French
Aug 13, 2003

before it slows down the working process.
How many is too many?
I don't want to put my eggs all in the same basket, but what is the limit of one TM.
Thanks

Louise

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:50
English to German
+ ...
No real limit Aug 13, 2003

Hi Louise,
I don't think you're in any danger of hitting the brakes - our main TM has approx. 130,000 units, and that's not even a big one.

I suggest you search the archives of the TW_users group - I remember a discussion there a couple of months ago.

Best, Ralf

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
large TMs Aug 13, 2003

Hello,

we have TMs with more than 250.000 TUs.

Trados says that TMs with more than 150.000 TUs will slow down.

Hans

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Remember to reorganize Aug 13, 2003

A good tip for keeping up the speed is to reorganize your TM from time to time.
Under File-Properties, you can see whether a reorganization is recommended by the application.
Jørgen

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Karin Adamczyk (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:50
French to English
I'm not sure there is a limit Aug 13, 2003

Louise Dupont wrote:
before it slows down the working process.
How many is too many?
I don't want to put my eggs all in the same basket, but what is the limit of one TM.

My main memory has over 950,000 units, all identified with attributes (attributes are definitely a must if you want to keep all units in one memory). I have not experienced any slowdowns. I reorganize whenever the program suggests.

HTH,
Karin Adamczyk

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:50
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
At some point there are problems Aug 13, 2003

Very large TMs can be created and they somehow work, but over a particular number of segments it is very likely to experience problems.

My personal experience: a few months ago I wanted to experiment and test the Trados TM solidity in case of very large TMs. To perform the test I put together all the linguistic material that I could assemble from past projects.

Over 600,000 segments the software was still usable, it was still fast recording new units and also fast sear
... See more
Very large TMs can be created and they somehow work, but over a particular number of segments it is very likely to experience problems.

My personal experience: a few months ago I wanted to experiment and test the Trados TM solidity in case of very large TMs. To perform the test I put together all the linguistic material that I could assemble from past projects.

Over 600,000 segments the software was still usable, it was still fast recording new units and also fast searching with Concordance.
The only problem was that Concordance would not find what I was looking for!!

No matter how many times I run Reorganise (which took ages to complete) the terms that were certainly in the TM would not be found, or some random occurrencies only were found (but not all).

My conclusion is that Trados WorkBench TM can store very large numbers of segments but the functionality and reliability degrades over a certain level, probably around the 200-300.000 mark.

Anyway, a TM larger than 200.000 units is very large indeed and uncommon for personal use. Before reaching that limit, an efficient use of the software is achievable keeping all the reference material in a number of separate files or 'master TMs' (i.e. large separate TMs, one for each major customer, subject or language pair).

If you really need, for a particular project, to have reference material from more than one of your master TM, you can always export/import them and create a new starting TM "ad hoc" for that particular project.

Gianfranco

[Edited at 2003-08-13 14:16]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How many TU can I store in one TRADOS TM...

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »