Valerie Scaletta
Valerie Scaletta  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:01
Italian to English
+ ...
Jul 8, 2003

Hi all,
I have just bought Trados 5.5 and I have proceeded to install it.
I cannot seem to be able to find out how it works, being new to this software. Is there anybody out there who could give me the main guidelines as to how its main properties function?
It would be much appreciated.
Thanks Valerie
My email addressis : [email protected]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Tutorials Jul 8, 2003

Hi Valerie,
As a first step, the interactive tutorials are pretty useful - you should find them on your installation CD; if you cannot find them there, download them from TranslationZone.

HTH - Ralf

PS It's better to post CAT-related queries in the "CAT Tool Tech Support" forum - also, you may want to have a look at the ProZ.com TranslationZone.

HTH - Ralf

PS It's better to post CAT-related queries in the "CAT Tool Tech Support" forum - also, you may want to have a look at the ProZ.com CAT Center, or search the TW_users mailing list.
Collapse

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Thi ones helped me a bit Jul 8, 2003

http://www.fxtrans.com/resources/trados.pdf

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Read the manuals Jul 9, 2003

Hi,

in our company, all new translators have to read the manuals.

Hans

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
Tutorials Jul 9, 2003

I bought Trados in January and found the manuals to be very bady written and confusing.

A much better way of getting familiar with the program is - as Ralf mentioned - to go through the tutorials. This "hands-on" method is much more effective (and more enjoyable), and if you can afford the time, I would spend a weekend or a couple of days experimenting before you use it on any actual work, and it should all fall into place very soon.

Hope this helps

... See more
I bought Trados in January and found the manuals to be very bady written and confusing.

A much better way of getting familiar with the program is - as Ralf mentioned - to go through the tutorials. This "hands-on" method is much more effective (and more enjoyable), and if you can afford the time, I would spend a weekend or a couple of days experimenting before you use it on any actual work, and it should all fall into place very soon.

Hope this helps

Ian
Collapse

Matthew Roy, Ph.D.
Matthew Roy, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:01
Swedish to English
+ ...
Make sure you choose the appropriate languages Jul 9, 2003

I installed Trados on my computer before reading the manuals (of course...since the manuals were included in the install package). However, since I chose not to install any of the languages that Trados uses with their sample tutorials, I couldn't use the tutorials at all. If you don't want to use French, German, or Spanish with Trados, find out if it is possible to install them first and remove them later. I'm not sure about that yet.

Rob Albon
Rob Albon  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:01
Japanese to English
+ ...
Remove un-needed languages by reinstalling TRADOS Jul 12, 2003

Reinstall TRADOS, and, at that time, you can select languages again.
I ran into similar problems, even with the tutorials, seemed like manuals had been updated from a previous version of TRADOS and file names in the manual did not match the file names for the actual files. Still, the point is the hierarchy of the files, and you can eventually figure it out.
Fortunately, my employer paid for it, but the TRADOS training (250$) was very beneficial, and the instructor was quite willing t
... See more
Reinstall TRADOS, and, at that time, you can select languages again.
I ran into similar problems, even with the tutorials, seemed like manuals had been updated from a previous version of TRADOS and file names in the manual did not match the file names for the actual files. Still, the point is the hierarchy of the files, and you can eventually figure it out.
Fortunately, my employer paid for it, but the TRADOS training (250$) was very beneficial, and the instructor was quite willing to answer general questions about TRADOS and not just questions about the class.
Matthew Roy, Ph.D. wrote:

I installed Trados on my computer before reading the manuals (of course...since the manuals were included in the install package). However, since I chose not to install any of the languages that Trados uses with their sample tutorials, I couldn't use the tutorials at all. If you don't want to use French, German, or Spanish with Trados, find out if it is possible to install them first and remove them later. I'm not sure about that yet.
Collapse

Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
Thanks! Sep 19, 2003

Special thanks to Rzawadzk and Ralf Lemster.
I was experiencing the same problems and so these links come in handy now.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with Trados (getting started)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »