Thread poster: Francesco Barbuto
Francesco Barbuto
Francesco Barbuto  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:04
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 4, 2003

Hello everybody,

Is there, somewhere on the Internet, a riliable web site where from to download a truly helpful tool for counting words/sentences/characters/bytes for
the widest selction of file type (html, doc, rtf, txt, jsp, asp, php, ppt, pps, xls, pdf, etc.)and invoicing?

Please, do not just suggest the same old PractiCount, WebBudget etc. I am looking for something really working and professional, with no glitches and no marketing/selling boasting.
... See more
Hello everybody,

Is there, somewhere on the Internet, a riliable web site where from to download a truly helpful tool for counting words/sentences/characters/bytes for
the widest selction of file type (html, doc, rtf, txt, jsp, asp, php, ppt, pps, xls, pdf, etc.)and invoicing?

Please, do not just suggest the same old PractiCount, WebBudget etc. I am looking for something really working and professional, with no glitches and no marketing/selling boasting.

Thank you very much,

FFB

[Edited at 2003-07-04 21:42]
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:04
English to German
+ ...
What do you mean with "truly helpful"? Jul 4, 2003

The words ought to be counted according to the applied CAT tool, this is the best way to determine the actual effort.
If you prefer a more general and simple way, I recommend to copy the text via clipboard into Word and count it there. This will result in more or less than the "effective word count", but one cannot have all at once..

Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Bravo, Harry :-) Jul 5, 2003

[quote]Harry_B wrote:

What do you mean with "truly helpful"?

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
What's wrong with tools that have proved themselves? Jul 5, 2003

Francesco Barbuto wrote:

Thank you very much,

FFB

[Edited at 2003-07-04 21:42]

Well, I use Practicount Business and it does exactly what you're looking for. In short, it really works and is IMHO a professional tool...

Francesco Barbuto
Francesco Barbuto  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, but... Jul 5, 2003

...Practicount does not count PDF and other file formats.

I have tried version 2.01 of Practicount: it claims to count pdf but, indeed, it does not!

FFB

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
You will need Acrobat or Acrobat Reader 5.1 Jul 5, 2003

Francesco Barbuto wrote:

I have tried version 2.01 of Practicount: it claims to count pdf but, indeed, it does not!

FFB

According to the practiline.com website, you will need Acrobat, or Acrobat Reader 5.1

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/alternate.html#51

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 21:04
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
It does, Jul 6, 2003

Provided your PDF is not a picture, e.g., as it is when I print a fax file to Acrobat writer..

Uldis

Francesco Barbuto wrote:

FFB

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A truly helpful word counting and invoicing software

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »