A. Deb
A. Deb  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 26, 2003

Hi.

I have to translate a long file with extension .txt by Saturday and I'm wondering whether to do it using TRADOS (5.5. Freelance). I've only really used TRADOS with Word and HTML files and so I'm not exactly sure how to go about translating .txt files. If I had more time to investigate the issue, I wouldn't be bothering you all, but I'd be really grateful if anyone could tell me how the process works and whether it's too complicated, given the time constraints.

Man
... See more
Hi.

I have to translate a long file with extension .txt by Saturday and I'm wondering whether to do it using TRADOS (5.5. Freelance). I've only really used TRADOS with Word and HTML files and so I'm not exactly sure how to go about translating .txt files. If I had more time to investigate the issue, I wouldn't be bothering you all, but I'd be really grateful if anyone could tell me how the process works and whether it's too complicated, given the time constraints.

Many thanks.

Ana
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
At least two possibilities Jun 26, 2003

The first one is to open the txt file in Word, translate it there, than do the cleanup within Word (there is a makro called something like t*main*clean, you can see it after pressing ALT+F8 and searching in the macro list), and then savin again as plain text. Because your languages should not make problems with txt files, this is IMHO the best option.

The second one is to open the text in Editor, start Trados and T-Window for Clipboard, and then set the T-Window do automatically act
... See more
The first one is to open the txt file in Word, translate it there, than do the cleanup within Word (there is a makro called something like t*main*clean, you can see it after pressing ALT+F8 and searching in the macro list), and then savin again as plain text. Because your languages should not make problems with txt files, this is IMHO the best option.

The second one is to open the text in Editor, start Trados and T-Window for Clipboard, and then set the T-Window do automatically activate after pressing CTRL+C and automatically copying the translated segment to clipboard after pressing ALT+END. Then you only need to select sentence by sentence, press CTRL+C, translate the sentence in T-Window, press ALT+END, then you should return to Editor, where you paste your translated sentence by pressing CTRL+V.
This option ma be not very good suitable for this case, because it affords a lot of clicking/pressing shortkeys, but IT WORKS ALLWAYS with ANY format you have. Even translating text within Corel Draw pictures and similar is possible in this way.

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Hirschmann (X)
Hirschmann (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Much simpler solution Jul 30, 2003

Open the text file (.txt) with Word, save it as a Word file (.doc), translate it, do a clean-up, and save the cleaned Word file as a text file (.txt).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating .txt files in TRADOS 5.5

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »